Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about this hatmaker Daquino?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Mr Dane. Thank you for that info. I will lower my taper expectations to accept just a "little" taper. I would also lower my open crown height to 6 inches if necessary. Yes, I did believe to get my color choice it would probably be from FEPSA and I would except some color variation if it was a close enuff match. As Fruno said, she just got back from vacation so she's prob very busy. PS. I had an open crown Fed Deluxe shipped to me and it had the biggest, fattest, straight sided and most bulbous crown I've seen. Though it was under 6 inches. But I swear, it appeared to have what could only be called a reverse taper! Though I embellish a bit.

Last edited:
I've tried twice for a 4 1/2" Open Crown, straight sides, with at least a 3" wide or wider brim.
Last one was 5" crown, better straight sided than first, but still under 3" for the brim.
Some of the news here that they don't have certain equipment at the shop explains things better.
Not sure I can call them a "hatmaker"....

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I've tried twice for a 4 1/2" Open Crown, straight sides, with at least a 3" wide or wider brim.
Last one was 5" crown, better straight sided than first, but still under 3" for the brim.
Some of the news here that they don't have certain equipment at the shop explains things better.
Not sure I can call them a "hatmaker"....

I believe Fruno had it right. "Hat orderer." Maybe they do the ribbon and sweatband work?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Bob: I'm pretty sure, it'll be hard to find a hatter, who owns a set of 6-1/2" blocks with "absolutely no taper". Even old blocks, marked "#52" or "Columbia", have taper. Not a lot - but they absolutely do taper. FEPSA makes hundreds of colors, so I would think, it should be possible to get really close to the specific color, you want. That doesn't mean, that D'Aquino's supplier is willing to buy the required amount of bodies, though.

My guess is, that they are not geared to our interpretion of "custom made". We (and our expectations) are probably pretty far from the average hat-buyer. I wouldn't wonder, if the quite sudden and great popularity here on TFL has taken them by surprise. After all, they don't seem to be making the hats themselves.

I'm not trying to defend any bad attitude. I too find, their reported response rate (and/or response time) sounds pretty sloppy :)

Just saw a hat that the maker claims is a vintage 30's block at #81 reverse taper. Engle and Co. Hatters.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
"Just saw a hat that the maker claims is a vintage 30's block at #81 reverse taper. Engle and Co. Hatters."

Hmm. How does one remove the hat from it afterwards?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Just saw a hat that the maker claims is a vintage 30's block at #81 reverse taper. Engle and Co. Hatters.

I believe, "reverse taper" most often is an optical illusion, created by the crease. I don't own a #81, but in one of my National Hatters Supply catalogs from the 40s, the #81 block is described this way:

No. 81 Block
Slightly tapered semi-rounded crown.
5-3/4" Deep

I don't think, it's possible to make a crown, that's truely wider at the top, without a puzzle-block.

A quick mobile-pic of the #81 from the catalog, I mentioned:
Block_No_81.jpg

One of my own #52s
Block_No_52.jpg

One of my own #60s
Block_No_60.jpg

The two latter are among the more straight sided blocks - and at least the most straight sided in my collection.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for sharing. I wonder if all blocks and their numbering system was standardized across the industry. I agree that there must b some type of tapering towards the top.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if all blocks and their numbering system was standardized across the industry.

Only to a degree. Blocks with the same profile-number may have slight differences between manufacturers.

"We're hijacking the Daquino thread!"

Yup. Try to search via Google with a string like "hat blocks site:thefedoralounge.com". There are already quite a few threads discussing hat blocks ;)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Only to a degree. Blocks with the same profile-number may have slight differences between manufacturers.

"We're hijacking the Daquino thread!"

Yup. Try to search via Google with a string like "hat blocks site:thefedoralounge.com". There are already quite a few threads discussing hat blocks ;)

Thank you. I will.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Technically yes, but someone call it "Brazilian Portuguese" so not the same. Some Portuguese people have problems understanding Brazilian people, some don't.
More or less like US english and UK english ;)

Some examples of somethings that mean the same but spoken differently:
Brazil -> "pegar na condução"
Portugal -> "conduzir o carro"

Brazil -> "ver na tela da TV"
Portugal -> "ver no ecrã da TV"

Brazil -> "pegar uma carona"
Portugal -> "apanhar uma boleia"

Last edited:
Shoot, Joao, sometimes we can't understand the people who live in other parts of our country! You should see somebody from Baton Rouge try to communicate with somebody from Brooklyn. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn