Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone purchased an Eastman lately?.....

Brettafett

One Too Many
Theres been consistent activity with Goodwear, Kelso and Aero.... but have not seen a 'new' Eastman for a while.
Was wondering if anyone has picked one up lately....
Esp like to see their Warhorse 1401 and Monarch ;-)

Last edited:

paulgt3

Familiar Face
I just got a new one today, just got here in the mail. Beautiful piece of artwork.
I have one question, how do you break it in? It is so stiff it will stand on its own.
Mine is a B3, looks EXACTLY like the pictures. The hide is broke in a bit, or in other words
it looks more broke in than the Irvin like on flying-jacket.com. That one looks like it would take
years to break in. The Eastman has a broken grain look, just like the close ups on the expanded picture
section of the B-3 Jacket. Its beyond what I thought it was. Cost about 1,120.

Last edited:

Foster

One of the Regulars
Wear it to break it in. It will become more supple. It's like breaking in quality leather boots or shoes, there's no real shortcut in my opinion. Enjoy it, a time for you and the jacket to shape each other.

paulgt3

Familiar Face
It looks already broke in when I put it on, but it feels like a straight jacket. But man great fit. And just beyond my dreams on the coat.
I thought the pics were enhanced some how but NOPE, just like on the catalouge.

Foster

One of the Regulars
I have a B3 from a different maker, but when t was new the sleeves were quite rigid. It was the leather over the sheepskin that needed breaking in. After several years, now it is very supple and comfortable.

paulgt3

Familiar Face
Thanks Foster, that gives me a good idea on why its so stiff. It IS the sleeves.

THe other thing about the jacket that is just so good is the shade of butter
gold that the fleece is. Just gorgeous. Thats actually better in person than in the pics.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Theres been consistent activity with Goodwear, Kelso and Aero.... but have not seen a 'new' Eastman for a while.
Was wondering if anyone has picked one up lately....
Esp like to see their Warhorse 1401 and Monarch ;-)
I've had a redskin Roughwear for over 10 years now, Gary didn't do any fancy leathers back then. I just wore mine everywhere, walking the dog, dossing about the house, I even fell asleep watching tv wearing it many times.
I have not really abused it but it now has bald spots in the rubbing areas, especially the cuffs but looks great.
I have a few Eastman jackets and personally would not bother with his fancy 'pre worn in' leathers , and my quote is always "The only way to get a jacket to look 50 years old is to wear it for 50 years"
Cheers, Jay Tea

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Wear it to break it in. It will become more supple. It's like breaking in quality leather boots or shoes, there's no real shortcut in my opinion. Enjoy it, a time for you and the jacket to shape each other.

Exactly. I've now read so many "how do I break my jacket in prematurely?" threads round hear, I find myself tourettesing "JUST WEAR THE DAMN THING!!!" on a regular basis. lol

Edward

Bartender
I've had a redskin Roughwear for over 10 years now, Gary didn't do any fancy leathers back then. I just wore mine everywhere, walking the dog, dossing about the house, I even fell asleep watching tv wearing it many times.
I have not really abused it but it now has bald sits in the rubbing areas, especially the cuffs but looks great.
I have a few Eastman jackets and personally would not bother with his fancy 'pre worn in' leathers , and my quote is always "The only way to get a jacket to look 50 years old is to wear it for 50 years"
Cheers, Jay Tea

And, of course, if you want it to look just like back in the day, it shouldn't be looking fifty years old anyhow...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
And, of course, if you want it to look just like back in the day, it shouldn't be looking fifty years old anyhow...
That always surprises me, how a lot of re-enactors like to pose around in a mixture of original gear and modern. Especially those depicting the USAAF, immacuatly pressed 'Pinks' , chocolate shirts and a rather beat up original wartime A2 or B3.
I've not got anything against re-enactors mind, it just does not look right.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I bought a pre-"War Horse" Monarch last year. Not altogether happy with it. Sewing on the point of one of the pockets was loose resulting in slight tear. The finish (dye?) in places like along the edges has come off surprisingly quickly. The zipper only works if you hold it just right. For all I know this things (other than the loose sewing) may just be what you get with a reproduction.

It has softened and broken in fairly well with wear.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I was about to buy their G-1 but then I bumped into The Cockpit brand. I like really like their D-1 but I'm not sure if I'll go for it. Not to much weather for sheepskins around here unfortunately.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I have to agree with Aerojoe, the real jackets back in the day were not the "new-but-made-to-look-old" sort. They got that sweet "50 mission" look because the guys just threw the jackets on and used 'em.
I got my A2 new and simply wore it a lot (and crashed my motorbike in it too); if I get an Eastman for my next one, I'd probably just go with a standard HH and wear it till it looks. . . well . . . worn. (Hopefully I won't crash in it though - I don't recommend that break-in method.)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have to agree with Aerojoe, the real jackets back in the day were not the "new-but-made-to-look-old" sort. They got that sweet "50 mission" look because the guys just threw the jackets on and used 'em.
I got my A2 new and simply wore it a lot (and crashed my motorbike in it too); if I get an Eastman for my next one, I'd probably just go with a standard HH and wear it till it looks. . . well . . . worn. (Hopefully I won't crash in it though - I don't recommend that break-in method.)
I rode my bike once wearing my WWII Lucky 7 Seven jacket. Comments raised to me were mainly "What if you fell off" to which I replied, "I'd be glad I had it on wouldn't you". Obviously vintage clothing fans rather than bikers;)
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran