Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone recognize THIS style of '50s fedora?

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
huge-03.jpg

hugemmhat1.jpg

Ande1964

Practically Family
Mad Men

I watched the show, and figured it was a typical Stetson from the era (or meant to be... I don't know if the show's hats are custom). It's a good looking hat. What annoys me is that the actor (Jon Hamm) doesn't seem to like wearing it. He throws it off as quickly as possible.

Anj

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
Thanks! a ROYAL STETSON "WHIPPET" FEDORA perhaps? There are several styles and names of that era.
Yeah, you're right- I think he holds the hat more often than he wears it.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Whippet

I don't think that hat has a bound edge, as a Whippet would.

It actually looks a lot like the upcoming Stetson Nostalgia, although maybe with a shorter brim.

Anj

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
I went to the site, and now I see a Stetson Temple to further confuse me. Any suggestions where in the Greater Seattle area I could go shop and try on these variations??

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
DickWhitmanMM said:
I went to the site, and now I see a Stetson Temple to further confuse me. Any suggestions where in the Greater Seattle area I could go shop and try on these variations??

Bernie Utz is the one and only true hat shop in Seattle. Set aside acouple hours. You'll be like a kid in a candy store. You have to go there.:eusa_clap

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
I recently purchased a SCALA Classic, but am not all that happy with it so I've decided to splurge and get a real Stetson fedora..I'm willing to spend around $100 is that realistic? Is there a huge disparity between a NEW Stetson and a vintage version???

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
DickWhitmanMM said:
I recently purchased a SCALA Classic, but am not all that happy with it so I've decided to splurge and get a real Stetson fedora..I'm willing to spend around $100 is that realistic? Is there a huge disparity between a NEW Stetson and a vintage version???

You can get a Abukra Sydney for about that much at Bernie Utz. Open crown and he will shape the crown to your liking while you wait. Stetsons- I don't know. ORyou can get a few more posts under your belt and bid on one of Johnnyphi hats in the merchant section.[huh]

Ande1964

Practically Family
DickWhitmanMM said:

What size are you? Depending on size, you might find something great on ebay without breaking the bank.

I think you'll spend around $140 for a new, fur felt Stetson. Check out the vendors who support the site here... you'll probably find something. It is best, though, early on in your hat buying career, to try some lids on in person.

Anj

Feraud

Bartender
DickWhitmanMM said:
I'm willing to spend around $100 is that realistic? Is there a huge disparity between a NEW Stetson and a vintage version???
Yes there is.
For a hundred bucks you can find a great vintage Stetson on Ebay. The prices have been outlandish lately but be patient and they will drop.

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
wow, thanks for all the insight- I was told THIS was the place to go for Fedora consulting, awesome.
Ok, handlebar Bart -- "get a few more posts under your belt and bid on one of Johnnyphi hats in the merchant section"

er, how many posts does a newbie need to obtain bidding status?

yet another friend said I would be just as content with a late '50s PORTIS?

and as far as hat size, must be my Irish blood but I have a deceptively big head, I have an AKUBRA OVERLANDER heritage Collection pure fur felt (size 60) I'd be willing to trade someone for a good '50s/'60s Fedora (?)

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
DickWhitmanMM said:
wow, thanks for all the insight- I was told THIS was the place to go for Fedora consulting, awesome.
Ok, handlebar Bart -- "get a few more posts under your belt and bid on one of Johnnyphi hats in the merchant section"

er, how many posts does a newbie need to obtain bidding status?

yet another friend said I would be just as content with a late '50s PORTIS?

and as far as hat size, must be my Irish blood but I have a deceptively big head, I have an AKUBRA OVERLANDER heritage Collection pure fur felt (size 60) I'd be willing to trade someone for a good '50s/'60s Fedora (?)

DW
I think it takes 30 posts or so to be a full member. I think. Do check out Johnnyphis hats because he has alot of great ones. Much better condition than you would find on ebay. And I agree with the comments made to go with vintage hats. I only have two current production hats and they ride the bench. But do go to Bernie Utz if only to experience a old timey hat shop. And to try on the expensive stuff:D Oh and welcome to the FL by the way. I am fairly new myself and it is a great place with tons of great people and info.

Ande1964

Practically Family
If you're a 7 1/2 or so, your vintage options are more hard to come by, and more expensive. It can be done, though.

Anj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters