Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone recognize THIS style of '50s fedora?

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
Yeah, I let a 7 1/2 3x Stetson OR get away yesterday for less'n twenty bucks!

Well, I would have paid double! Anyone else keep me in mind here if you have a similar size and style.
eric
seventhform AT comcast.net
(is that OK to do here??)

Email address edited to avoid spambots.--AlanC

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DickWhitmanMM said:
I recently purchased a SCALA Classic, but am not all that happy with it so I've decided to splurge and get a real Stetson fedora..I'm willing to spend around $100 is that realistic? Is there a huge disparity between a NEW Stetson and a vintage version???

I believe the concensus has been that, while Stetson used to make great hats, the last couple of decades they've living on reputation and putting out crappy hats, and there are a lot of other manufacturers who put out far better hats for less. Others can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
Doesn't surprise me--
I'm not aware of the Stetson brand as of 2008 but I hope they haven't fallen into the same "once-great" idiom as brand names such as Belle & Howell, Emerson or Panasonic.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
DickWhitmanMM said:
Doesn't surprise me--
I'm not aware of the Stetson brand as of 2008 but I hope they haven't fallen into the same "once-great" idiom as brand names such as Belle & Howell, Emerson or Panasonic.

Unfortunately they have. Their hats are still decent but are on the lower end of the scale nowadays and don't even compare to their hats 60 years ago. :(

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
I believe the concensus has been that, while Stetson used to make great hats, the last couple of decades they've living on reputation and putting out crappy hats

Just to be clear, though -- Stetson hasn't made hats since 1970. Any hat after that time bearing the Stetson name has been made by a manufacturer who has licensed the use of the Stetson trademark. Currently, hats bearing the Stetson mark are made by Hatco...

Cheers,
JtL

retro50

Familiar Face
It is a new drama series: Mad Men. It is set in the mid 50's or early 60's (can't be sure as the political references and cars seem juxtaposed) and centres around ad men and their lives.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jimmy the lid said:
Just to be clear, though -- Stetson hasn't made hats since 1970. Any hat after that time bearing the Stetson name has been made by a manufacturer who has licensed the use of the Stetson trademark. Currently, hats bearing the Stetson mark are made by Hatco...

Cheers,
JtL

True, but nonetheless, to the average consumer, the Stetson hats of today aren't up to par, to put it lightly. If you have a 40s Stetson and think today's Stetson will be a comparable replacement, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

retro50

Familiar Face
Hi: I'm new here. I've been browsing this forum for some time and find it to be a wealth of info. Speaking of vintage Stetsons, i just lucked into a Royal Stetson Whippet on ebay today which has never been worn. Still has the price tag on the sweat band, and to beat all, it's my size! My other fedora is a Camptown Fieldmaster. Glad to be here.

Mike

Dread Scott

Familiar Face
retro50 said:
It is a new drama series: Mad Men. It is set in the mid 50's or early 60's (can't be sure as the political references and cars seem juxtaposed) and centres around ad men and their lives.

The first season was set in 1960; the second is rumored to be set in 1962. Love the show

P.S. clever screenname dickwhitmanMM;)

Magus

Practically Family
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickWhitmanMM
I recently purchased a SCALA Classic, but am not all that happy with it so I've decided to splurge and get a real Stetson fedora..I'm willing to spend around $100 is that realistic? Is there a huge disparity between a NEW Stetson and a vintage version???

Vintage Vintage Vintage. And rememebr to watch the off names too. The hat in my recent "Hat Rescue" posts is from Bill Taylor Hat Mfg in Cleveland. A beautiful hat once I cleaned it, felted as smooth as butter...and cost me under $25.

If you must buy new...save up for a custom from one of our gents here.

Welcome to the Lounge! :)

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
DickWhitmanMM said:
Well, I would have paid double! Anyone else keep me in mind here if you have a similar size and style.
eric
[deleted email address]
(is that OK to do here??)

Uhhhh. No. But you can, I think. I just wouldn't. Though the members wouldn't, posting your email address is kind of asking for a spam-nado!!! :whistling If I were you I'd edit that or, if it is too late, ask one of the mods to edit it if they can. After the 15 posts, you can receive/send PMs and email to members. Go to your control panel (UserCP link at top of page) and you'll find settings for PMs and email. (Really, if you are willing to pay that then get to posting and start bidding on the auctions. There are some great hats there!):cheers1:

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
I too bought a new SCALA Classic, a "Soho," at Private Screening in Fremont (Seattle) but am not happy with it--I'll keep searching though. I almost picked up a Stetson "Brandon" at Bernie Utz for $99. But, I'm too damn picky with hats, I guess I'll just wait until I find a Stetson, vintage, size 7 5/8, right color and era to avoid any "why did I buy this?" aftermath.

BTW. I just read the Viceroy is screening classic Sean Connery Bond movies at 7pm every sunday in august, complete with a Martini Happy Hour..I'd say PERFECT VENUE for a Bond-fest; anyone from the forum planning on attending?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner