Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anything wrong with Akubra Snowy River? ...

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Well, maybe I'm wrong, but most of the time when I browsed for used Akubra for sale in ebay, the most frequent model listed (used, not new) is Snowy River.. Why do a lot of people want to part with their Snowy River? Anything wrong with this model? What do you think?

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
problems? umm

In Australia at least, the Snowy River was very popular during the 80s but it has been replaced by the cattleman (in terms of popularity, according to the evidence of my eyes).
The Snowy River probably came to be associated with the Hobby Farmer who wanted people to think he was a real man of the land (IMHO).

As a hat, it is a nice one, quite stiff felt (If I remember correctly). Not a dress hat, but could be dressed up with a new band.
There may be a lot of them around because people buy them as souvenirs of their Australian holiday but never actually wear hats.

Mine blew away one stormy night when I was camping and I was most upset, but that was over 10 years ago so it's about time I got over it.

I was 16 when I bought it, from the Strand Hatters in Sydney and I made the mistake of walking down Oxford St while wearing it. Oxford St being the spiritual home of men who appreciate the company of other men.

It was a chorus of "ooooh hello Cowboy" from start to finish (much to my Mother's amusement).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I believe it's Akbura's bestselling model world-wide, or even if it's technically number two or three at this point, is very widely distributed - even minor dealers that only carry a few Akubra styles have it. So it's purely about the number of hats in circulation, not about folks being more disappointed in Snowy Rivers vs. other Akubras.

splatt

One of the Regulars
I've adored every Akubra Snowy River I've owned since 1985, and they have all handled an amazing amount of pain before they needed replacing...which would have to do with the very stiff felt as pointed out by ADHD Librarian.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I have one (about 3 years now) and use it as my beater...it still looks great!
I think it was my first "expensive" hat. Bought cowboy wools at first (I didn't know any better)...and then one day I ran across this hat called an Akubra at the local western store. I tried on the Snowy and a Stetson Catera...The Snowy won hands down for fit and looks!...I was hooked from that point on!:eusa_clap :D

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
I believe it's Akbura's bestselling model world-wide, or even if it's technically number two or three at this point, is very widely distributed - even minor dealers that only carry a few Akubra styles have it. So it's purely about the number of hats in circulation, not about folks being more disappointed in Snowy Rivers vs. other Akubras.

I see, I see. I think that's the most plausible explanation. So Snowy River is still a good hat, after all. :)

To ADHD: "It was a chorus of "ooooh hello Cowboy" from start to finish (much to my Mother's amusement)."

That's rather eerie (at least for me), certainly not the type of dumb comment we usually hear... :)

Day_late

New in Town
I've had a Snowy River for years, and I'm wearing it in rotation with a Stetson Open Road and an Akubra Squatter these days. What I prefer in the other hats are the flatter brims and higher crowns. The Snowy's low crown sits on the top of my head, and the curled brim doesn't seem to provide as much protection from the sun as the others. It's more of a western look than the others, as well, and I don't dress western.

Regards,
Warren

SMCK

New in Town
Snowy river was one of the first proper hats that I had. I haven,t worn it for years I think because it is a bit of a cowboy hat and at least where I live not really an everyday hat, practically fancy dress. However lately I decided to take about half an inch off all round. this has transformed the hat(sorry no pics, you will just have to imagine it) It is now one of my favourite yardwork hats, and has got a lot softer through use.( and no cowboy comments!)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
A half-inch? That's interesting.

The Akubra Stockman is nearly identical to the Snowy River, but has a half-inch smaller brim (2-3/4"). It's like a cross between a fedora and a western hat. It's not a great shade hat, especially on the upturned sides, but I like mine a lot for cool-weather hiking:

STOCKMN1.JPG

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My second "real" hat, bought right after my Akubra federation was a Snowy River. Still have it, still use it, still looking good. Its softer now and the sides don't curl as much anymore, but a fine hat all the same.
Johnny

Naphtali

Practically Family
I agree that the primary reason for resale numbers is numbers on the street. My Snowy River is not particularly stiff -- when compared with Jimmy Harrison's (Double H Custom Hat Company, Darby, MT) 100 percent beaver western hats. One of the hat's selling features for me is its internal hat cord loops. I believe this is a David Morgan feature, more esthetically pleasing than a stampede strap arrangement.

Mine is for sale here. I haven't worn it for several years and probably will not again. I wear only fedoras now (but trapper style in winter) with 2.625-inch brims. . . . Yeah, that's slightly OCD, but I'm getting better.

Things that don't get used.

Why does anyone buy a cowboy hat and then never wear it? If you go to Ebay and key in cowboy hat you find a number of them were bought but (almost) never worn. THe Snowy River is a popular model and there was that movie that helped push the popularity of this Australian cowboy hat.

People buy things and find they just don't use them. Maybe they are afraid to wear it, who knows. However, as the Ebay saying goes "Their Loss Is Your Gain!"

Happy Bidding,

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
When it comes to hats, I find that I've sold off a few "barely used" even though I wear a hat every day. Sometimes I'm struck with hat love that turns out to be just empty infatuation. I eventually come to terms with the fact that I don't like it as much as I thought, or it doesn't look good on me, or maybe I just realize that I never have the right time to wear it.

There are many reasons to not wear a hat, and just as many people hoping they will be sold! :D

The occasional hat! That is a good example!

A hat that would only be worn with certain clothes and or for certain occasions only. If the occassion never comes up or really rarely, one might consider parting with an almost never worn hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner