Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate Dress to Wear As Wedding Guest. Black? Red?

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Lol, Sare...we all have those moments!
Love the whole look and you look so different from all the other guests but in a good way!
My sis gets married (again) on May 24th and I'm wearing a 50s inspired frock with loads of poofy petticoats.
I normally dress 40s, but am playing it down for the Family....:rolleyes:

Sunland Sare

New in Town
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Lol, Sare...we all have those moments!
Love the whole look and you look so different from all the other guests but in a good way!
My sis gets married (again) on May 24th and I'm wearing a 50s inspired frock with loads of poofy petticoats.
I normally dress 40s, but am playing it down for the Family....:rolleyes:

my family love the way I dress, especially my great grandmother

my cousin is getting married on May 24th as well, at Lumley Castle in Durham. I'm wearing a cream floaty dress with kind of semi naked nymphs on.

I'll post a picture on when I can, because it sounds rancid but it's vay prettiful :)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
A question about proper clothing to wear to a wedding

I know that black is often frowned upon as a color to wear to wedding, but would a black and white print be okay? I'm thinking something similar to this:

http://www.lanebryant.com/pagebuilder/lane_bryant_product_page?item=1660349&pagesize=3

Also do you think a dress with leopard print ould be too much to wear to a wedding? The cut of the dress itself is very conservative, it's the print that's a little wild.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
KittyT said:
There are quite a few threads already about proper wedding attire. One of them may have the answer you're looking for :)

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/search.php?searchid=1055216

I've read all of these threads in the past, but I don't think any of them address if wearing a black and white print dress is okay. I could be wrong, but I usually have a good memory for this sort of stuff. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
From this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=22402

texasgirl said:
I've heard not to wear white or ivory as you wouldn't want to upstage the bride. I think black used to be true too because my maid of honor wore black and my mom was not thrilled about it. Also, if you wear a solid, you might be the same color as the bridesmaids- I've seen this happen. I'd wear something floral and fun since it's summer!

Here's the advice on the Knot if it's an evening wedding:
Your best bet is to dress in "cocktail attire" -- a nice dress that you would wear to any other formal evening affair. Don't be afraid to wear a black dress: Although it's still not appropriate for a brunch or luncheon wedding, black for a formal evening event will never go out of style. You can go simple and elegant in a nice solid-color shift dress, or add a little color, beading, or embroidery if you like.

Paisley said:
The traditional idea is not to look too somber or upstage the bride. Something too sexy isn't appropriate for a wedding, either, and some churches require that ladies cover their shoulders.

Miss Sis said:
No black, white/cream or red!

Floral prints or pastels seem to be the best for summer weddings. Nothing too loud. You shouldn't upstage the bridal party is the main rule, in my opinion.

vintagelaura said:
Several years ago I went to a wedding out-of-state for one of my husband's cousins. I wore a nice black cocktail-like dress to the wedding, which I had worn once to another wedding. We were college students at the time, and it was the nicest dress I owned, so I wore it.

Well, the out-of-state wedding turned out to be rather upscale. And at the ceremony, I lost count of how many other women were wearing black! I swore then and there that I would never wear a black dress to a wedding again. I felt like I was part of a parade!

There are lots more too. Basically, it comes down to the fact that everyone has their own personal opinion on what is and isn't appropriate. I'm sure you'll find this thread helpful. I don't believe each case has to be thoroughly examined on it's own. If "it's ok to wear black to a wedding", I'm sure you'll be able to draw your own conclusions about whether or not black and white floral is OK.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Maybe I'm missing something, but none of those posts address my question specifically. They seem to be aimed toward an all black dress, not a black and white print.

Maybe I should re-phrase my question. This is the dress I'm considering buying.

http://www.lanebryant.com/pagebuilder/lane_bryant_product_page?item=1660349&pagesize=3

The weddings are late afternoon (5pm w/receptions after), not evening. I'm on the fence about this dress. I'm having a hard time finding anything I like (and in my size) that isn't all black or sleeveless (I don't want either of these things). Part of me thinks there is enough white in this dress to make it okay to wear, but the other part of me doesn't want to risk looking like a doofus if I'm wrong. This is one of the first dresses that I've found that I actually like, but I wanted to ask the ladies here what they thought first before I purchased it. Some insight into what you gals think would really help.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
BeBopBaby said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but none of those posts address my question specifically. They seem to be aimed toward an all black dress, not a black and white print.

Yes, but most of the gals here seem to think that even an all-black dress is fine. Therefore I figured that you would be able to deduce that a floral print shouldn't be an issue. I personally don't think that black is OK at all for a wedding, but I seem to be in the minority on this one.

Part of me thinks there is enough white in this dress to make it okay to wear, but the other part of me doesn't want to risk looking like a doofus if I'm wrong.

It should be fine. Remember that most people these days have no clue about propriety and you will likely see people there in jeans. There is a high chance that you will look nicer and more well-put-together than about half the people there.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Yes, but most of the gals here seem to think that even an all-black dress is fine. Therefore I figured that you would be able to deduce that a floral print shouldn't be an issue. I personally don't think that black is OK at all for a wedding, but I seem to be in the minority on this one.

I don't think the Black & white floral is an issue, but I have been wrong before! ;) Everyone here is always so well put together, I wanted to see what the gals thought.

KittyT said:
It should be fine. Remember that most people these days have no clue about propriety and you will likely see people there in jeans. There is a high chance that you will look nicer and more well-put-together than about half the people there.

True. I'm reminded of the time hubby & I met some out of town visiting family for a dinner at a restaurant and hubbys cousins kept making comments because he was wearing slacks and a button down shirt (which is a nice, but still casual look). They kept asking why he was so dressed up and making comments. This coming from people who were wearing sweat clothes (neither of us would be caught dead in sweat suits in public), so hubby finally shut them up by asking them when they planned on working out. lol

The Shirt

Practically Family
I think a black and white floral is totally fine. You are not upstaging the bride with a black and white dress. Black (although I think is fine for an evening wedding) seems to have a slightly negative connotation when worn to a wedding. A floral is neither of those.

(edited - whoops!)

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
I think black is appropriate for a late afternoon wedding as long as it doesn't look somber and of course the dress you have in mind certainly doesn't. I also think the amount of white in the dress shouldn't compete with the bride, it looks black with white rather than white with black. If in doubt the best thing to do in my opinion is to ask the bride, the maid of honor, or the mother of the bride if they think the dress is apprpriate.
Missy

CaliBombshell

New in Town
Going to a wedding. What to wear.

I have searched my list of websites to find a suitable dress for my cousins wedding and haven't found anything I really like. I was wondering if any of you ladies could direct me to a website where I might find something. I also need to find a pair of seamed stockings. Preferably ones I would'nt have to wear a garter belt with. I have regular stockings that are thigh highs and they stay up without the garter belt, do they make them seamed like that? I haven't seen them in stores but online you can't take em out of the package to double check. The wedding is in March but I figure I should look now with shipping and if (God forbid) I have to return or exchange. Thanks in advance for your help ladies!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Walmart actually has seamed stockings in the hosiery section right now. They're pretty nice and stand up to a night of swing dancing, so they should last for a wedding. I actually found a pair of backseamed pantyhose here:
http://www.amazon.com/Leg-Avenue-Sh...bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1232222009&sr=8-2
They are great!

As for dresses, I'm not sure how much you intend to spend, but Stop Staring is absolutely adoreable. They run a little cheaper, I've noticed, at Daddy-O's.
http://www.daddyos.com/retro/retroldy.html

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Seamed thigh highs you can find at Fredericks of Hollywood.

http://www.fredericks.com/category.asp?catalog_name=Holiday2002&category_name=Accessories-Stockings&Page=1

And also at Victorias Secret
http://www2.victoriassecret.com/collection/?cgname=OSCLOLGGZZZ&cgnbr=OSCLOLGGZZZ&rfnbr=5282

As for the dress, what type were you looking for? Any particular era or style? There are many places that sell vintage dresses or make reproductions online. I'm sure you'll find something once you figure out exactly what your looking for. :)

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
well, i think it depends on your age and what you can pull off. I mean, a 40 year old can be just as sexy as an 18 year old, but usually they don't wear the same clothes.

so, at the risk of looking stupid, here are some stores I can usually get clothes from:
target
delia's
hot topic (i'm almost getting to old for it though)
and of course
ebay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner