Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate Dress to Wear As Wedding Guest. Black? Red?

Sunland Sare

New in Town
oval nails make my fingers look weird, i have really slim fingers as it is, but i also broke all my fingers on my left hand playing hockey, and they healed all funny so they all slant

boo!

thanks for the lovely comments, girlies

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok gals, the dress is out getting tailored (the sleeves weren't "clinging precariously"). In the meantime HELP! I've been searching for shoes and having the hardest time. I prefer a wedge, but even that I'm willing to compromise on (because the ground will be soft, I can run a mile in 4 inch stillettos so that's not a problem).

Here's the fabric:
R-190L.jpg

PLEASE HELP! I spent hours today looking :(

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Ok gals, the dress is out getting tailored (the sleeves weren't "clinging precariously"). In the meantime HELP! I've been searching for shoes and having the hardest time. I prefer a wedge, but even that I'm willing to compromise on (because the ground will be soft, I can run a mile in 4 inch stillettos so that's not a problem).

I like the gold wedges that were posted. I think gold or a darker shade like bronze would look nice and play off the browns in the fabric.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
True, though I believe I have learned (from here, and correct me if I'm wrong) but vintage rayon is not washable? That's what I mainly seem to see (and pass up) for sale. I tend to wash everything anyway, cashmere, silk, not wool fabrics though. Modern rayon is different though isn't it, which is why WT dresses could be washable.

Thanks MBH for finding the WT thread!

Hi Fleur

Vintage rayon isn't necessarily not washable. It's originally a wood based fibre so it degrades. I've had every very vintage thing shatter on me for washing except one dress that I think was late 40s. Generally I would avoid pre 50s rayon just in case, but it can and does last. I suppose it's like everything - original quality of the material and quality of manufacture. In my experience, if it doesn't tear when you give it a reasonable tug before washing, it won't shatter during washing.

Cashmere and silk should be handwashed and the general notion is to use shampoo. Anything that says machine washable, which you would normally think is hand washable, is likely to have been treated to make it machine washable, ie, eventually it will come out of the machine sized for your Sindy Doll!! :)

Modern rayon should be ok.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:

Here's the fabric:
R-190L.jpg

PLEASE HELP! I spent hours today looking :(

Just seen the dress and adore it! You will look Gorgeous! What US size are you, and remind me when you need it for? I'm constantly scanning around looking for shoes and will most certainly direct you if I see anything. :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

KittyT said:
I like the gold wedges that were posted. I think gold or a darker shade like bronze would look nice and play off the browns in the fabric.

I like gold for the dress, but I don't really like the ones that were posted. I tried some gold ones on at DSW today but I didn't have the dress in hand so I didn't buy anything...just wanted to see what's out there.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Caledonia said:
Just seen the dress and adore it! You will look Gorgeous! What US size are you, and remind me when you need it for? I'm constantly scanning around looking for shoes and will most certainly direct you if I see anything. :)

US 9-9.5!! I need them by next Tuesday....eep! :eek:

Miss_Bella_Hell

I really wish there were a Dillard's anywhere near me! My part of the country hasn't gotten them yet. :( But I really like those K Coles, I might get 'em. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I think a pair of bronze coloured peep toe wedges (low wedge) or low-heeled mules would look good. I think bronze would look better than gold, because it would play off the dark browns in the dress.

Here are a few, though obviously not all are bronze:

Naturalizer:
va19239901.jpg

va16864901.jpg

Target:
51RBeyAoFsL._AA262_.jpg

I personally like these the best, from Target. Definitely the best, IMO, in terms of color.
51dh1r1o94L._AA262_.jpg

Kohl's - all cork wedges! Sorry, can't get the image to display.

from Zappos (or Endless) by Ros Hommerson:
6219-608305-d.jpg

Or just wear a cute dark brown pair, probably easier to find than bronze or gold:

from Zappos by Robert Geneva
6219-554487-d.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I got a pair of dark brown wedges from Payless but my boyfriend didn't like the darker colored shoe with the bright dress.

Well whatever, he doesn't have to wear it lol

Miss_Bella_Hell

KittyT said:
Well whatever, he doesn't have to wear it lol

Well, if I'd have loved the shoes that would be one thing, but I might as well get his approval if I'm just buying shoes to buy shoes. Besides, I already have a brown pair of sling back peep toes in my collection I could just as easily wear! lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Besides, I already have a brown pair of sling back peep toes in my collection I could just as easily wear! lol

So wear the ones you already have and save your money for your trip to Hawaii!

=ritzy=

Familiar Face
Sunland Sare said:
my best friend recently got hitched, so me and my partner attened in our best attire...

this is me and my best bud, chilton (the groom)
wedding031gx5.jpg

me and the bride, ashleigh
wedding032yh8.jpg

my pal amy, me, and andrea
wedding001xx4.jpg

me and my geezer (please ignore my hair, i had been dancing...)
wedding045ro2.jpg

me a little tipsy......
wedding015np0.jpg

a close up of my moon manicure
wedding049ye0.jpg

i love your half moon nails they look great. I have been trying to let my nails grow out and take care of them to do the same, but it doesnt help much that I am cursed to be a Book slave and my nails chip all the time......awww weddings are great...I would love to have a very vintage, art deco themed wedding with all my loved ones and even everyone here on the lounge as invites...it would be the greatest...to share a happy moment like that with those i love and also those who appreaciate the same things in life as I!!! great pictures!!*sigh*

Sunland Sare

New in Town
Joan said:
You look fabulous! That dress is amazing.

Thank you, Joan! All you ladies are too nice!

I agree the dress is amazing, however the wedding was a whole day and night affair, so by 10pm, and I'd eaten so much (...and drank a smidgeon too much) and had danced my heart out to cheesy wedding music, I did something I'm not proud of...

I went to the ladies, went into a cubicle, unzipped the dress while I had a good ol' breathe out, without fearing I was gunna burst out of the dress!!!

Not ladylike, but highly necessary!!! :eek:

I fear I have overshared, but at least I'm honest.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner