Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there any universally liked actors/actresses?

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
When Hope was good, he was very very good. When Hope was bad, he was smarmy, flaccid and stale.

Bob Hope (among other golden era comics) was at his sharpest at men's clubs and USO stand-ups. That's when his humor got dirty ... and I mean DIRTY. ;)

In regards to the first, sure, maybe, but it's in my nature to just view it as all the more endearing. It's kind of the same, when Bing Crosby tried valiantly to dance well in movies, and he just fell short, it just elicits a "Aww, at least he tried" reaction, and same for Bob when his jokes fell short.

Concerning the second part, have you ever seen the celebrity "roast" done for him? What a hoot!lol

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
LadyStardust said:
Concerning the second part, have you ever seen the celebrity "roast" done for him? What a hoot!lol

I'd like to see that for sure!

Around 1960, my dad saw Bob Hope do standup at a USO show. Certain parts were not filmed or recorded ... and that's when Hope cut loose and used a liberal dosage of four-letter words, especially about the anatomy of his curvy USO costars. My dad was surprised, but the (all male) audience loved it! lol

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Yes, and Tom Cruise, the most annoying megastar of all time, is at #3. Box office clout does not make stars any less annoying.

Don't let the Cruise of the last three years distort the facts. He was once pretty well-liked...

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Especially as Captain Gregg in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

Absolutely yes, what a fantastic movie. I don't know, he just seemed to have wit and charisma a-plenty, and he fit in so well in almost any role he took on. Of course he had a few duds, but for the most part, he was brilliant. I also loved him in The Honey Pot, Blithe Spirit, Storm In A Teacup, and I gotta say My Fair Lady. He was born to play Higgins. :)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some of us around here will watch anything with:
George Sanders
Diana Rigg
Vincent Price
Jack Lemmon
David Niven
Peter Lorre
Richard Widmark
Joan Fontaine
Lon Chaney, Sr.
Doris Day
Elisha Cook, Jr.
Bela Lugosi
James Mason
Walter Matthau
Joan Crawford
Maureen O'Sullivan
John Candy
and
Alan Hale, Jr.
Yes, anything, even the clunkers.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
Some of us around here will watch anything with:
George Sanders
Diana Rigg
Vincent Price
Jack Lemmon
David Niven
Peter Lorre
Richard Widmark
Joan Fontaine
Lon Chaney, Sr.
Doris Day
Elisha Cook, Jr.
Bela Lugosi
James Mason
Walter Matthau
Joan Crawford
Maureen O'Sullivan
John Candy
and
Alan Hale, Jr.
Yes, anything, even the clunkers.
Jack Lemmon, DEFINITELY! I cannot believe I forgot to mention him! :eusa_doh: What a charming goofball he was! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart