Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Deco Architecture

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
So I jus got done watching the Buena Vista Social Club and I had no clue that so many of the older style buildings were still standing in Cuba- unlike up here. Are there any town/cities in the States that have the same feel and class?? I'm assuming it be quite a bit more south than Ohio. I'm just totally infatuated with that style of architecture! I'm looking to photograph it in B&W sometime.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I'm usually mad at what Houston developers are tearing down, but at least we still have our cool deco city hall, built in 1938. The inside is really nice too but I can't find any photos online. I'll have to go take some at lunch one day.
hotel-iconG.jpg
HOU109.jpg
24897045.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
There are a few scattered original deco buildings still around town.

this will give you a few leads: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/index.php?

There are a couple of original Streamline Moderne houses not too far from where I live, one was up for sale a couple of years ago, and I considered flipping my house for it, but it's right by a Jr. High School, and I don't want live that close to that many roaming teenagers. (I remember what I did when I went there)

I'm settling for redoing the inside of my 30's Bungalow here in Mc Mansion Hell. (West U.)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
J. M. Stovall said:
Are you following me?
T'was a coincidence.

Seriously, is this loft conversion going on in every North American city? I'm glad to see that Deco office buildings have a fighting chance to not be torn down, but I wonder how comfortable it is to live in a structure that was designed for, um, offices.

Raffles

New in Town
There's quite a lot of very nice deco buildings around Glasgow as well as some quite nice Mackintosh examples

Although sadly one of my favorite buildings in Glasgow, and my childhood local cinema recently closed in favour of a tin shed multiplex on the riverside.:cry:
odeon25c.jpg

glasgowo7.jpg

fun fact tho - technically the same movie was the main feature when it Closed on January 7th, 2006 as when it Opened on December 31st 1934. Anyone guess what it was?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Seriously, is this loft conversion going on in every North American city? I'm glad to see that Deco office buildings have a fighting chance to not be torn down, but I wonder how comfortable it is to live in a structure that was designed for, um, offices.

There are a few here in AZ, done in an attempt to revitalize the city. Unfortunately, they are extremely expensive and therefore not worth it, in my opinion.

The most prominent one at the moment is this one; I’m glad they left the lobby alone: http://orpheumlofts.com/

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
:eek:fftopic:
Marc Chevalier said:
(A quick off-topic comment)

What astounds me is that, in L.A. at least, some tall glass office boxes built in the '60s and early '70s are being converted into lofts. Square pegs in round holes, I say.

Mies built these as apartments in the 50's.

cid_lake_shore_001.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Raffles said:
There's quite a lot of very nice deco buildings around Glasgow as well as some quite nice Mackintosh examples

Although sadly one of my favorite buildings in Glasgow, and my childhood local cinema recently closed in favour of a tin shed multiplex on the riverside.:cry:
odeon25c.jpg

glasgowo7.jpg

fun fact tho - technically the same movie was the main feature when it Closed on January 7th, 2006 as when it Opened on December 31st 1934. Anyone guess what it was?

That's a cool theater! My guess is the movie was "It Happened One Night" with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. King Kong was released in 1933, "It Happened One Night" was released in 1934.

So, do I win?

=R=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sunset Tower.

This is truly the most Art Deco building in LA along with the Oviatt. The Hollywood Sunset Tower was built in 1929, it stands today as the most elegant structure on the Sunset strip. It has had scores of Hollywood legends stay there... it was restored in the 1980's and was known as the "Argyle" but, with in recent years, new ownership has done the unthinkable... and, the unforgivable! They changed the interiors from Art Deco to... well, who knows what but, it's a mortal sin! They're restricted to change the exterior because it is protected however, they can do what ever they want to the interior.

Right now they're selling off the Art Deco items on ebay that once graced the interior of this grand building.

sunsettower.jpg

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24