Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Received my beaver-felt Dove from Art on 9/1/16, which, coincidentally was the opening day of Dove season. Although I didn't go out in the field this year, I am very pleased with the dove I bagged from VS. Wonderful color and flawless craftsmanship. Just finished refining the crease this afternoon, so here it is ...

View attachment 56092 View attachment 56093 View attachment 56094 View attachment 56095 View attachment 56096

FYI: The color of the felt is truest on the photos of the hat on my noggin.
Absolutely stunning...and it works so well on your head! Another match made in heaven...Congratulations!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Art gave us the grand tour. Very impressive operation, and Art is a great guy. And the hats. Wow is an understatement. I need to order an even dozen.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Sorry if my posts were short. My smart phone is a pain to work with. Upfront, I apologize profusely for not taking pictures of the VS shop tour Art was so gracious to give. We meant to take pictures but the time went by real fast and I completely forgot until we were back to the hotel.

We met Art and David, two very nice gentlemen who were modest and unassuming in the midst of such great accomplishments in the hatter profession. I've never seen so many hat blocks, flanges, vintage ribbon, 18th century hat making machines and hats in various stages of construction. It was very hard not to place an order on the spot but my Business Manager, General/Mrs FedOregon kept the AMEX card in check.

Art was wearing a Panama hat he'd had for about 9 years. What a beauty! He also showed me his personal Black Cherry fedora made with the Legacy felt (Beaver/Mink blend). Gents, it's the bomb! Every sentence I type makes me kick myself for not taking pictures.

Art had a Milan hat there Mrs FedOregon liked. I may have to call surreptitiously and order that as a Christmas present!

I can't say enough about Art ad David, the shop, and the amiable, very hospitable reception we received at Vintage Silhouettes.

And yes, Robert, your hat is indeed on the block... skyscraper crown in all it's glory! Art mentioned that it was a little difficult to find the right felt that he could block with such a tall crown and the wide brom you prefer. But fear not, it looks great and the hat is in process as we speak. I know you'll love it.

I fell in love with the dark moss, black cherry and a steel felt (with blue tones) Art had in the shop. All very nice, but those stood out for me.

This is up at Crater Lake:

i-6JGBBts-XL.jpg

i-Fq2LrbK-L.jpg

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Fed: Thanks for your informative post. You showed more restraint than I ever could have! Of course, I can understand that you may have had no choice with your (very pretty!) business manager being with you.

I'll take note of the three felts that impressed you for future reference. I already have a Dark Moss Winchester (LOVE IT); and Black Cherry would probably not work with my fair skin and gray beard; but I'll certainly consider Steel for my next custom.

And I love your shirt/fedora combination. What hat are you wearing with it?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
KY: Thanks for the kind words. Yes, if I was by myself there would have been an order placed. Art measured my egg-head so the size and shape are on file... a phone call is all it takes. Maybe I can let that old Savage model 99 go and order a hat. It's not like I go hunting anymore.

The hat is a Stetson Downs I picked up off ebay for $40. The seller was asking a bit more but there was a "Make Offer" button, so I made an offer. I was actually surprised when they accepted the offer. Anyway, it's a nice hat with good felt and a smallish (for me) 2-3/8" raw brim. I grab it as a go anywhere hat.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Savage 99! Man, I always wanted one of those in 250 Savage with the straight stock and a Schnable forend ... . But I suppose this discussion belongs on another web site.

Anyway, I think the 2 3/8" brim looks good on you.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
WOW, worked the weekend on my house and didn't log on till now. Thank you for posting KY, the hat looks good on you. FedOregon, Thank you for stopping by and visiting. I always enjoy sharing the shop and the story of how it all began. Hope to see you and the Missus again in the future. Thank you for all the kind comments Gents, and Moon, your hat is being worked on today. I'll be in touch soon

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I just reread my post, #9989. Moon, I apologize for calling you Robert. I don't know where that came from.

I am trying to figure out a special hat, with a new-to-me color felt, design, ribbon, etc, to commission with Art. What's the wait now, 8-9 months? I keep looking at all the hats and it's so hard to choose.

That steel colored felt Art showed me is very nice, with blue highlights/undertones, but I think he's looking for a little bit different color to get it just right.

The black cherry looks like a nice, rich, black color inside, but out in the sunshine there are brilliant red, orange, silver highlights that "pop" to life. Very special indeed.

I could have spent a couple more days at VS with Art and David, and I wouldn't have complained if they put me to work as long as I could keep studying all the hats during my breaks! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy