Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Artwork Featuring Hats

IMG_3375.jpg

Charles Spencelayh (1865 - 1958)
I really like his use of "light" and "shadow"; the eye is almost immediately drawn to the person/people, but then you notice all of those wonderful details in the backgrounds. His composition is also interesting to me. Very much like posed photographs, but he often captures facial expressions that are too casual or "of the moment" to have been posed for the length of time it would take for him to complete the painting. It makes me wonder about his process--did he set the stages, pose the people, use a camera to capture those moments, then create his paintings from those photos (as many artists have done over the years), or did he perhaps have an eidetic memory?

I really like his use of "light" and "shadow"; the eye is almost immediately drawn to the person/people, but then you notice all of those wonderful details in the backgrounds. His composition is also interesting to me. Very much like posed photographs, but he often captures facial expressions that are too casual or "of the moment" to have been posed for the length of time it would take for him to complete the painting. It makes me wonder about his process--did he set the stages, pose the people, use a camera to capture those moments, then create his paintings from those photos (as many artists have done over the years), or did he perhaps have an eidetic memory?

Well said, Al. I've gone back and looked at these several times, picking up a new detail every time I do.

This mans work fascinates me, HJ. The depth, lighting, his ability to capture not only facial expressions but the human form as well. The last one just looks so real, with a 3D like quality to it. Not to mention Hitler in the background.
I hadn't noticed Hitler. Did you notice the Union Jack on his lapel? I like that one & the one before it with the snuff box & fancy handkerchief.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner