Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:
I made this small tutorial for Tinseltown, and thought I'd share, maybe someone finds it helpful. :)

n704878450_354068_5496.jpg
Thanks so much for the diagram. Sorry, what's Tinseltown? Is it a beauty forum? I just love hair tutorials so if there's a place to find more I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks so much!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Audrey Horne said:
Thanks so much for the diagram. Sorry, what's Tinseltown? Is it a beauty forum? I just love hair tutorials so if there's a place to find more I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks so much!

Whops, I didn't make that clear, Tinseltown is a user here. :)
There is a livejournal community about vintage hair: http://community.livejournal.com/vintagehair
Other than that, there is a LOT of info here on the forum. :)

Smuterella

One Too Many
okay, i tried lottabody last night and I'm not so impressed, maybe I bought the wrong one (it wasn't the french perm stuff) its a blueish liquid in a white bottle and it says to dilute to 1 part setting lotion, 4 parts water for bleached hair. should i make it stronger?

anyway, a tad disappointing.

also tried pin curl clips for the first time, vast improvement on kirby grips (no dents)

ooh, such a learning curve

Cinnamon

New in Town
The diagram worked wonders for me Laura. I did pin curls last night for the first time and they came out beautifully.
My hubby really loves my hair and everyone keeps staring at me. ;)

Thansk again. I think that I have found a great style that truly works for me.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I got the blue Lotta Body and found it disappointing as well. I have had better results with a Tresemme curl setting spray...or no setting lotion at all.

What I am looking for is something to give me SMOOTHER curls, the ends look a tiny bit dry and feel dry, but I do not want the hassle of end papers. Any suggestions? Dippity Do?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New Question for you gals...

What do you gym-goers do when your hair is set? I go every other day. I don't set my hair regularly, but I just did a pin curl set that came out great and tomorrow after the gym, I will have to wash it out. Tips? Tricks?

Smuterella

One Too Many
gym? I haven't seen one in years and to be honest I probably wouldn't wash my hair after a gym visit, even when I did go regularly I never managed to break into a sweat

<--------- born lazy

Smuterella

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
Smuterella, I use Lottabody diluted about 1:2, or less, and it works much better. For me, at least.

thanks sweetheart, I'm going to try it again at that strength tonight, but I do think I've got the wrong one.

oh well, back to Dalston for another hunt through the afro hair shops!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Oh, and mine is in a translucent bottle and looks purple!

While in African hair shops, get a can of Iso Plus hairpsray. It smells a bit funny, but it is really great. I use t for setting, too - I spray each wetted strand with it before rolling.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
What do you gym-goers do when your hair is set? I go every other day. I don't set my hair regularly, but I just did a pin curl set that came out great and tomorrow after the gym, I will have to wash it out. Tips? Tricks?

Bella, I was going to ask this same question.
It's actually why I haven't experimented with setting my hair yet, since I exercise an average of 5 days a week, and I just can't imagine working up the energy to put a new 'do in every night.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I used to go to the gym every other day. I totally understand your frustration. (I don't go as often because I'm 7 months preggers:) but I can't wait to start again.) I prefer to work out in the morning. In which case I would set my hair overnight;the next day was not a gym day. The second day I went to the gym and my hair would normally survive. I would use a headband to keep it out of my face. I would normally brush it out after my workout and get a nice wave. You could try to re-roll your dry hair for your workouts. I've thought of wearing rollers to the gym but never did it. Of course none of this will work if you get very sweaty. If your workouts are very strenuous and you must wash your hair you could try to do your workouts in the evening. Then you can wash and set right away and get two full days out of your set.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Pro Curler?

Does anyone have an old Pro Curler from the 1920s/30s? They're those old metal contraptions that were called "automatic bob curlers" and they supposedly helped set pin curls. I have one, but it's missing its instructions and I would be forever grateful if someone posted them.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Rebecca D said:
Does anyone have an old Pro Curler from the 1920s/30s? They're those old metal contraptions that were called "automatic bob curlers" and they supposedly helped set pin curls. I have one, but it's missing its instructions and I would be forever grateful if someone posted them.

I used to have one with the instructions and I sold it. I tried using it and was never that impressed with it. It was hard to use and made the curls too small.

EDIT: Just found instructions in this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13117

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
swingtimegal said:
Bella, I was going to ask this same question.
It's actually why I haven't experimented with setting my hair yet, since I exercise an average of 5 days a week, and I just can't imagine working up the energy to put a new 'do in every night.

Well, it only takes me about a half hour to do a pincurl set, which isn't too bad I guess.

MarieAnne said:
Of course none of this will work if you get very sweaty. If your workouts are very strenuous and you must wash your hair you could try to do your workouts in the evening. Then you can wash and set right away and get two full days out of your set.

Yeah, I guess this is the solution. I do have a very high intensity workout and sweat a lot, so a shower is imperative!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen