Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I find rag curlers give me a very tight frizzy curl. Am I doing something wrong? Right now, perm rods are my preferred curling method.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I haven't been able to buy setting lotion since I lived in CA, USA over 11 years ago. It was in all the supermarkets. Big plastic bottle with some green stuff in it. What can I use instead that works as well and doesn't cost a fortune just because it comes in a cool looking container and has a high brand name?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
I haven't been able to buy setting lotion since I lived in CA, USA over 11 years ago. It was in all the supermarkets. Big plastic bottle with some green stuff in it. What can I use instead that works as well and doesn't cost a fortune just because it comes in a cool looking container and has a high brand name?

Isn't "vandondulation" (danish) the same thing as setting lotion? Matas makes that, it doesn't cost a thing. My hair doesn't like it but maybe yours would.

Otherwise, pick up some Lottabody setting lotion in an ethnic store (Tinseltown had found some in a store on Vesterbrogade) or order online. It's quite cheap and amazing!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Isn't "vandondulation" (danish) the same thing as setting lotion? Matas makes that, it doesn't cost a thing. My hair doesn't like it but maybe yours would.

Otherwise, pick up some Lottabody setting lotion in an ethnic store (Tinseltown had found some in a store on Vesterbrogade) or order online. It's quite cheap and amazing!

Haha! I probably just didn't know what it was called in Danish and have been passing it by a million timeslol Thanks. Why doesn't your hair like it? It worked for me back in the 90s.

The FL is giving me so many reasons why I need to make a visit to CPH soonish! I haven't been there in over 4 years:eek:

I've tried mouse, gel, wax, etc. you name it, but it just doesn't hold curl the same way and hairspray isn't enough on its own.

rachw182

New in Town
I'm Confused

Ok, how long is too long for pin curls?

I asked my nana, who used to do pin curls for all of her relatives, and she told me my hair was way too long
(my hair is slightly passed my shoulders).
But, I don't understand how the length could be too long considering when I attempt pin curls the pins won't stay in my hair.
I have even used bobby pins and they still fall out.

Does anybody know if I'm doing anything wrong or if my hair is too long or what?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My hair's about the same length as yours, and I pincurl all the time -- if the pins won't stay, one important trick is to use smaller sections. Also, you might experiment with different brands and styles of pins -- some hold better than others, and it's a matter of trial and error as to which ones work the best for you. I find the ones I get at Sally's Beauty Supply (the "Supreme" ones) tend to hold better and more reliably than the common drugstore pins. Pins will get bent or stretched out if you use them on too-thick sections of hair, so that's another thing to be aware of.

You might also try wearing a wave cap to sleep in after putting your hair up.

Note that the longer your hair is the less curl you'll get close to the head. Mine usually comes out with wave for about half the length -- which works fine for the style I wear.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
Haha! I probably just didn't know what it was called in Danish and have been passing it by a million timeslol Thanks. Why doesn't your hair like it? It worked for me back in the 90s.

The FL is giving me so many reasons why I need to make a visit to CPH soonish! I haven't been there in over 4 years:eek:

I've tried mouse, gel, wax, etc. you name it, but it just doesn't hold curl the same way and hairspray isn't enough on its own.

My hair loves the Lottabody stuff, it's just the Matas brand "vandondulation" it didn't like. :)

Smuterella

One Too Many
rachw182 said:
Ok, how long is too long for pin curls?

I asked my nana, who used to do pin curls for all of her relatives, and she told me my hair was way too long
(my hair is slightly passed my shoulders).
But, I don't understand how the length could be too long considering when I attempt pin curls the pins won't stay in my hair.
I have even used bobby pins and they still fall out.

Does anybody know if I'm doing anything wrong or if my hair is too long or what?

my hair is past my shoulders and pin curls work for me just dandy. You have to make sure that you aren't putting too much hair in each curl, as LizzieMaine says. I was surprised when I first saw some original 40's setting patterns to see how many curls were placed in the hair, then I realised that the root square of each curl is only around 1 inch.

Good pins are important too, proper pincurl clips work best of bobby pins crossed over each other if you don't have pincurl clips.

I always set my hair before bedtime, from damp (not wet....I learnt that the other day when it took 16 hours to dry from wet!) with lots of setting lotion and then sleep with a hairnet on.

Anwen

New in Town
AllaboutEve said:
Right that's fab, I'm just at the bottom of Hackney so that's a short bus ride for me. I'm off to get some asap.

Thanks very much, that'll save me the eight pounds shipping charge!!

How have you found using it, I'm a bit worried about it going flaky or looking dull?

Ooh, I'm in Hackney too! I'll have to see if I can find this Lottabody stuff... There's an Afro-Carribbean beauty shop on Mare Street, I'll see if they have it.

Miss Creant

New in Town
KittyT said:
When I do mine, I roll them the same way as if I were doing waves or any other regular set - with pillow rollers. I just use fewer, larger sections, then gently brush them out and pin them under.

1332163015_l.jpg

200610232.jpg

Kitty your hair is GORGEOUS here... how do you do your bangs.... I think mine may be too short for this lok... but Im curious to learn how you do it..

GibsonGirl

New in Town
Well, here's my first attempt at pin curls. I was afraid to use too small sections of hair because I didn't want a ball of frizz. This is without any kind of setting lotion or anything. I just spritzed some rosewater in each section before rolling.

Here's the set: it looks really messy in this picture.
DSC00663.jpg

Here's the back after Brushing it out
DSC00665.jpg

DSC00675.jpg

DSC00679.jpg

And with a headband:
DSC00686.jpg

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I am Soo Jealous !!!!!!! You hair looks amazing!

I tried something like that in my hair last night.. and it was not dry this morning.. even AFTER I put the dryer on my hair for 10 min :(

Sigh.. back to the drawing board :rage: :D

My hair is that length.. Tutorial??? PLEASE!!! Im dyin here! LOL

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
i did a quick test run of the set Johanna does (in another post)
anyway.. Mine didnt come out nearly as clean looking in the pin department
But here are some before and sort of afters:

3117690846_4a31a43b9c_m.jpg
3117690856_8c599a4ef2_m.jpg

In the end, I combed it out even more than that, it turned out super cute. I got called marilyn a few times today lol :p

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
My grandmother was always "up" on fashion, so when I need hair help, she knows how to handle it...unfortunately, by the time I got into hairstyles like these, well....we'd moved 2 hours away. Last time I was there I mentioned setting patterns and pin curls, when I said I had no luck with them she was a bit taken aback that i'd tried starting at the bottom and rolling up, she grabbed my head and started curling, at the scalp, looping it around her finger. I have yet to try this, but I've seen her pics from the past, I'm betting it'll work pretty well!

Dani_Daydream

New in Town
Hello!

I'm going to do my first pin curl and set tonight. I have quite long hair with lots of layers. :( I want to go for a femme fatale look and any good advice on how to set it would be muchos appreciated! I had a quick trawl though the posts and got some ideas, but theres so much information its a little daunting/confusing.

Also I finally found the teeniest tiniest bottle of setting lotion in boots. It's called Amami? I just wondered if any of you had used it before? And any ideas of quantities? I also bought a little spray bottle to apply it to my hair.

Thanks!

Inky

One Too Many
Pin curl rollers

does anyone out there in Lounge Land know how to use these gizmos for pin curls?

3269084419_e7ffa338f7_o.jpg

do these have to be used with specific kinds of hair pins (i have seen those "pin curl shooters" on ebay before)?

as always, any and all info much appreciated :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran