Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Inky said:
does anyone out there in Lounge Land know how to use these gizmos for pin curls?

3269084419_e7ffa338f7_o.jpg

do these have to be used with specific kinds of hair pins (i have seen those "pin curl shooters" on ebay before)?

as always, any and all info much appreciated :)

As far as I know...

It has a "lip" on it similar to a curling iron. You use that hold the ends in and you turn the knob to roll it up, while holding it straight. The bar on top helps to keep all the hair in place. Once you get it rolled to where you want it to stop (scalp or otherwise)place the end towards the scalp, release the lip (as you would a curling iron) and slide the whole curl off the tube. you flatten it as you would a pin curl, and pin. Some have the "shooter" so you can get a pin in right away. Not sure how well that works, as I haven't tried it. I have a pin curl tool, but it doesn't have the lip or bar, like these do. You slide the ends between the tube (it looks like a tube with a slice down the middle) and roll up just the same.

I hope my explanation made sense. :)

Inky

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
As far as I know...

It has a "lip" on it similar to a curling iron. You use that hold the ends in and you turn the knob to roll it up, while holding it straight. The bar on top helps to keep all the hair in place. Once you get it rolled to where you want it to stop (scalp or otherwise)place the end towards the scalp, release the lip (as you would a curling iron) and slide the whole curl off the tube. you flatten it as you would a pin curl, and pin. Some have the "shooter" so you can get a pin in right away. Not sure how well that works, as I haven't tried it. I have a pin curl tool, but it doesn't have the lip or bar, like these do. You slide the ends between the tube (it looks like a tube with a slice down the middle) and roll up just the same.

I hope my explanation made sense. :)

Thanks Red, that does make sense. I think the kind you say you have makes more sense. I'm still not very good at pin curls - they always turn out so messy!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I tried pin curls once - got terrible results and gave up. This week I tried a variation and have gotten heaps of compliments at work!

Im naturally curly, but sometimes I like a looser wave. I wash and roll my hair up in big velcros until dry, then I do the pin curls and go to bed. In the morning I take the pins out, loosen the sections and put some serum in. I end up with all sorts of curl and heaps of volume.

Unfortunately I dont have the time or inclination to try a vintage do, but Im loving pin curls at the moment!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I do that one fairly often and standing pin curls do work better, you can also pin the fringe up or even do a little backcombing.

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
RitaHayworth said:
Anyone seen this site?

http://pompsnpincurls.googlepages.com/home3

I really love this style and want to try it - Ive heard to get volume you have to have standing pin curls - but these instructions look like they are all flat ones? Can anyone help?

135589449_e049292391-full.jpg

I think perhaps the front middle section should be standing pincurls to get that nice volume on the top...perhaps they mean a sideways standing pincurl on the sides? It's really a lovely 'do!

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
So I did pincurls yesterday and slept on them. I woke up early this AM and pulled them out, as the pins were irking me. I brushed them out some and weny back to sleep. I continued the brushing when I woke up again. :lol:
The 'do turned out pretty well. :) I was wondering what you girls brush out with?
I used a small square-ish brush, but is using only fingerbrushing or a round brush better?

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'd use a natural bristle Denman or Mason Pearson for the majority of the brush out as it smooths the hair shaft and is dense enough to get rid of any latent setting lotion stickiness. I do use a round brush when attempting to curls ends under, but i'm not very good at that yet.

Though if you want to keep the curls individual just using a comb on each individual section works too.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I tried a set that I found in this thread somewhere, although doing it by myself and I've got a bum arm, I didn't get them as even as I should have, I though it would be ok...

vids001.jpg

^After I took out the pins

vids008.jpg

^after I wore it all day

are they just not going to work on my layers? or am I just completely terrible at working with hair?

(thanx to lolita haze for the "face for radio" thing t-totally got that from your blog)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Caity Lynn said:
I tried a set that I found in this thread somewhere, although doing it by myself and I've got a bum arm, I didn't get them as even as I should have, I though it would be ok...

vids001.jpg

^After I took out the pins

vids008.jpg

^after I wore it all day

are they just not going to work on my layers? or am I just completely terrible at working with hair?

(thanx to lolita haze for the "face for radio" thing t-totally got that from your blog)

Hahaha that is funny, I was all, "Hey, she says the same thing I do!" :p

Did you use any sort of setting lotion prior to your set? It looks like the pincurls take, but it doesn't seem as though they hold...?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Caity Lynn said:
I just hairsprayed it after I'd brushed them [huh]

Try using a setting lotion on a slightly damp pincurl set. It *should* help their staying power. Spritzing hairspray after it is brushed out and styled is optional for style hold. The setting lotion will help with curl hold. Also make sure your hair is COMPLETELY dry from a wet or cold set when you take it out.

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Pin Curl Disaster!

I tried pin curls for my very first time on Saturday night. I used my normal shampoo and conditioner, then applied Lottabody to the sections I was curling. Pinned them down and went to bed. I was so excited to remove the pins yesterday morning, but what turned out was not what I had expected :( I was left with a tangled, ratted frazzled head of hair that stuck up off of my head a good 2 or 3 inches. I have long, thick, wavy hair to my chest with a few layers up the sides. Can someone please suggest a better styling idea, I've heard foam rollers, hot rollers, hot sticks ect. I took a picture but do not have a way to upload it now, I wish you could see what I am talking about, it was an utter mess.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Well, for starters try making your pincurls larger, or try using a more traditional type of roller like hot sticks, sponge rollers or pillow rollers. Everyone has different methods that work for them, and I think every gal here can tell you that it takes a fair amount of experimentation and a few disasters before you really find out what works best for you!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It takes a good bit of brushing out of the curls to get the right kind of wave -- sometimes a *lot* of brushing out. When I first take my pins out, my hair looks exactly as you describe it -- but a five minute session with the brush tames things down and puts the waves where I want them. Don't give up -- you'll get the hang of it.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I first started doing pincurls I thought you were supposed to twist the hair before curling. If you do this you'll get ridiculous hair the next morning. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy