Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
Inspired by Laura Chase's post I thought I'd show you all my set and the difference between what my 2 brushes do. I use foam rollers on the front because I find it really hard to do the pin curls that stand up, the rest are traditional pin curls. So here's my set:

Here's what it looks like when I take it out:

This is after the first brushing:

Then with my round brush:

With my regular brush:

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
The Shirt said:
So cute as a button! Thank you for posting this. I really like being able to see the difference between round and paddle.

Thanks! I couldn't figure out why I was getting super poofy hair until I switched brushes, so I figured it might help someone else.

Thanks, LelaViavonie!

Inky

One Too Many
Super adorable, Swinging Bee!

The brush tip is excellent. I use a plastic bristled Denman for my brushouts and it worked MUCH better than my boar bristled Mason Pearson. learning learning always learning!

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Anyone have rants or raves for the Redken 22 Hot Sets spray? I've heard good things about this and picked some up today to try with pincurls this weekend!

Sugar Mamie

New in Town
using the right hand!

hi!
I must say I didn't have the chance to read the entire thread about pin curls, so forgive me I'm repeating someone's post.

Today, after one year of self teaching, reading, watching tutorials and getting very frustrated, I finally found out something that made my life a lot easier...

It turns out that using the right hand to curl the hair on the left side of the head, and the left hand to curl the right side makes a huge difference.

I used to make the pin curls to the wrong side most of the times, on one side of the head :D, it was a lot more difficult to make the pin curls, and from 45 minutes of curling hair, today I spent 15! This leaves me more time to section my hair more carefully.

Just wanted to share this with you ladies, maybe somebody goes through the same trouble than me :D

msrsimpkin

New in Town
Sugar Mamie said:
hi!
I must say I didn't have the chance to read the entire thread about pin curls, so forgive me I'm repeating someone's post.

Today, after one year of self teaching, reading, watching tutorials and getting very frustrated, I finally found out something that made my life a lot easier...

It turns out that using the right hand to curl the hair on the left side of the head, and the left hand to curl the right side makes a huge difference.

I used to make the pin curls to the wrong side most of the times, on one side of the head :D, it was a lot more difficult to make the pin curls, and from 45 minutes of curling hair, today I spent 15! This leaves me more time to section my hair more carefully.

Just wanted to share this with you ladies, maybe somebody goes through the same trouble than me :D

I discovered the same thing recently too. I also figured out exactly which direction I need to roll the hair around my finger to achieve a curl in a certain direction, if you understand what I mean. Since I pin my hair in alternating rows.

For example, on the left side of my head to create a curl that comes forward, toward my face, I curl the hair under my left finger, and to create a curl that goes backward, toward the back of my head, I'll curl the hair over my left finger. And so on.

It used to take me hours to pin my hair, as I'd always be re-setting the odd curls because they weren't sitting right. Now, it takes me anything from 10-20 minutes.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
msrsimpkin said:
I discovered the same thing recently too. I also figured out exactly which direction I need to roll the hair around my finger to achieve a curl in a certain direction, if you understand what I mean. Since I pin my hair in alternating rows.

For example, on the left side of my head to create a curl that comes forward, toward my face, I curl the hair under my left finger, and to create a curl that goes backward, toward the back of my head, I'll curl the hair over my left finger. And so on.

It used to take me hours to pin my hair, as I'd always be re-setting the odd curls because they weren't sitting right. Now, it takes me anything from 10-20 minutes.

Great tip about the over/under finger thing! :D

msrsimpkin

New in Town
LisaFreemontSt said:
Great tip about the over/under finger thing! :D
Is it strange that I got a little gush of joy upon reading that LisaFreemontStreet replied to my message? Hahaha.
I've been watching your videos for so long, you're like a some kind of celebrity to me. Hehe ;P

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
By the way...this may have been discussed before:
I just bought the Lottabody setting lotion in the mail and I am not sure about it. I am curious...do any of you have any tips for use for me? I have always just used plain water on my pincurl sets...and hairspray at the end. But I wondered how the setting lotion would react w/ my fine hair and whether my style would appear even sleeker etc. [huh]

Emer

One of the Regulars
Hoping this is where I should ask this...

Ladies, what do you do with your hair the day after? Yesterday I rolled my hair into curlers (I know, not pin curls, sorry!) and had a great result. Last night, I wrapped a scarf around them to preserve them. Today, they didn't look quite right. Honestly, my hair looked more feathered and like a Farrah Fawcet 'do than a vintage one. I tried to pin it half up, but the end result looked like bird's nest! :eusa_doh:

Do you wear it up? Re-curl? Re-wet and set it?

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Emer said:
Ladies, what do you do with your hair the day after? Yesterday I rolled my hair into curlers (I know, not pin curls, sorry!) and had a great result. Last night, I wrapped a scarf around them to preserve them. Today, they didn't look quite right. Honestly, my hair looked more feathered and like a Farrah Fawcet 'do than a vintage one. I tried to pin it half up, but the end result looked like bird's nest! :eusa_doh:

I rarely wear it down the next day..as you say, the curls are never 'quite right'. I do alot of 2nd day updo's. One of my favorites is to touch up the curls w/ a small barrell curling iron, where needed, gather it into a ponytail and then tie a ribbon around the ponytail so that it forms a bun and the 'bow' hangs on the bottom. Similar to Peter Driben's print, where the girl is sliding down the banister? ;)

analiebe

A-List Customer
emer... i understand your frustration as this used to bug me no end when i first started curling my hair... now, whether i do a pin curl or roller set, i always "re-set" my hair before going to bed...(re-curl the curls and use pin curl clips to keep them where they need to be, spray with a little leave in moisturiser and then protect them with a silk scarf) - i have very fine hair with very little natural wave and just use water to do the first set as lottabody is not available in australia and i find, for me anyway, that this prolongs the curl into the second day with great success....
ps - you don't need to spend anywhere near the same amount of effort & time in precise sectioning of your hair as you did for the original set...

Emer said:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats