Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
On my Akubra, the ribbon sometimes rides up the crown just a tad, so that you can see the sweat stitching. Irritates me - I pull the ribbon down, but it hikes itself back up after time, showing the stitching.

Today at lunch I'm in a local hat shop, looking at a Guerra I'm considering purchasing, and I noticed the exact same thing.

Is this a common occurrence? Any way to keep the ribbon down over the stitching without tacking the ribbon over and over?

Perhaps I'm just being too fussy.

Non of my Akubra's have that problem. I have three Stylemasters and they ALL have the hatband tacked to the felt so that they stay down. I get my Akubra's from DM and none so far from any OZ retailers so I don't know if it's maybe just with OZ hats, but I can't think why they would not tack it down. If it's not, a good hat shop could probably do it for you, or if you are careful and patient, you could do it yourself Maybe ?

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Non of my Akubra's have that problem. I have three Stylemasters and they ALL have the hatband tacked to the felt so that they stay down. I get my Akubra's from DM and none so far from any OZ retailers so I don't know if it's maybe just with OZ hats, but I can't think why they would not tack it down. If it's not, a good hat shop could probably do it for you, or if you are careful and patient, you could do it yourself Maybe ?

I'm thinking tacking the ribbon is a job for the wife. Sewing buttons is the extent of my ability. I figured it was just a one-off, but seeing the same issue on another new hat, makes me wonder.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I've seen folks refer to sanding the felt to get it smoother here on the Forum, but cannot find reference to exactly what grade of paper was used and the correct method of sanding ie. direction etc. Any help would be appreciated as I'm going to give it a try on my older Bushman to try and revive it :) Thanks.

I've seen folks refer to sanding the felt to get it smoother here on the Forum, but cannot find reference to exactly what grade of paper was used and the correct method of sanding ie. direction etc. Any help would be appreciated as I'm going to give it a try on my older Bushman to try and revive it :) Thanks.

Search for pouncing. I use packets of sanding sponges that come in fine, ultrafine & superfine like this = http://www.shop3m.com/60980020865.html?WT.mc_ev=clickthrough&WT.mc_id=shop3m-AtoZ-Sanding-Sponge
Ace sells them in 3 packs.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, just a thought, have decided not to alter the burg and just sell it instead. Thanks for your opinions and wisdom.

hPPYs

New in Town
Does this hat look good with dark grey shoes?

A boater with black ribbon.

And the dark grey shoes are with touches of blue.
Sorry,but no picture of the shoes.

0362_image1.jpg

Thank you!

jinenjo

New in Town
Hello Gents,

My Biltmore got soaked in the rain and shrunk a bit, causing the sweatband to buckle. I took it to the Hat Guys in Oakland, near where I live and they stretched the crown, but the band remains the same. I did a search here and found a little advice as far as remedies go, but I was wondering if it would work if I turned the band outward and tried stretching the leather by hand, perhaps with a little conditioner worked in.

Any thoughts on this or otherwise? Many thanks.

LB

Excuse me for bumping this, but I'm desperate to know what I might do with this damn sweat band. Should I just get a replacement? Can't seem to add an image though.

photo1000h.jpg

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Excuse me for bumping this, but I'm desperate to know what I might do with this damn sweat band. Should I just get a replacement? I can't seem to post a pic--The Fedora lounge says the imageshack url is invalid. UGH!

Just use the bbcode img tag manually, eg [ img ] and [ /img ] but remove the spaces...put the image url inbetween

job

One Too Many
Why is it that the Borsalino Alessandria is offered at big price differences. The village Hat Shop $340, Delmonico Hatters $315, and Bencrafts only for $240.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Why is it that the Borsalino Alexandria is offered at big price differences. The village Hat Shop $340, Delmonico Hatters $315, and Bencrafts only for $240.

It's called "Capitolism". Each one prices as to what they feel they need for there business's profits based on their markets. It alows you to decide from whom you will buy:)

job

One Too Many
Delmonico prices their other hats about what everyone else does. The Alessandria is MUCH more than Bencraft though.

Last edited:

Motumber

New in Town
Royal Stetson Sratoliner

Hello my dear friends,

Someone know where i can buy, or if someone who have are interested to sell a stetson stratoliner a royal ? size 7 3/8 ? or bigger ? Someone knows where i buy? can be used or brand new. thanks very mutch !!!!:cool:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
For an older one, patiently follow eBay (and/or put an ad in the Fedora Lounge Classifieds). For a new one, ask at Buckaroo Hatters. He should have some in stock soon.

Welcome to the Lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn