Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mystic

Practically Family
Thanks Mystic, I bookmarked that site and yes your right it makes it a little bit easier .

My collection of hats is growing at just about the pace of new suits that I buy and right now I'm up to 18 suits and 16 hats however I am getting two more in the mail tomorrow so it should be just about even and thats including my straw's as well, not that I'm done by any means with the suits or hats :D.

All the Best , Fashion Frank

I did wanted to add a word of caution to my experience buying smaller sizes on ebay. As I began buying smaller vintage hats I found more than a few that had been stretched by a previous owner.
Some were stretched by so that the crowns and brims were slightly out of shape. Especially the brim area. Some couldn't be satisfactory straighten out with steam, water and shaping. At least with my level of hat skills. Some brims were noticeably "wonky" and some just didn't seem right when I wore the hat.
They would need to be sent off for a blocking and re-flange. Not having a hatter any where near my city this would incur more shipping cost added to the repair work.

Ebay is a gamble but, smaller hats with cheaper prices seem to be a lure for slightly larger size buyers to buy and hope to stretch. I'm sure this occurs from time to time with other sizes as well.

I have gotten some very nice vintage hats on ebay but there is this added gamble to buying smaller hats with their relatively cheaper prices.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I did wanted to add a word of caution to my experience buying smaller sizes on ebay. As I began buying smaller vintage hats I found more than a few that had been stretched by a previous owner.
Some were stretched by so that the crowns and brims were slightly out of shape. Especially the brim area. Some couldn't be satisfactory straighten out with steam, water and shaping. At least with my level of hat skills. Some brims were noticeably "wonky" and some just didn't seem right when I wore the hat.
They would need to be sent off for a blocking and re-flange. Not having a hatter any where near my city this would incur more shipping cost added to the repair work.

Ebay is a gamble but, smaller hats with cheaper prices seem to be a lure for slightly larger size buyers to buy and hope to stretch. I'm sure this occurs from time to time with other sizes as well.

I have gotten some very nice vintage hats on ebay but there is this added gamble to buying smaller hats with their relatively cheaper prices.
Ah but Mystic gambling is only bad if it becomes an addiction(haha)lets see gambling addiction or hat addiction...hmmm

tridentine

Suspended
Why are Stetson Stratoliners so expensive on ebay [the starting bids and bids}?

I see many that are 200.00 plus.
Thank you.

No good reason. One goes high and the inventory comes out of the attic... literally. Good time to sneak away with a Whippet or a Stetson 100.

m0nk

One Too Many
It's also that time of year where sellers raises their prices on luxury things like this, at least the smaller sellers. They're trying to squeeze blood from a rock... imo...

m0nk

One Too Many
Woah, page 666....

Anyways, you could also get a custom hat made similar to the Strat. Typically there's a bit of a wait, and you may end up with a price-tag close to the $200 mark depending on the felt and options (brim binding, etc), though the hat will be brand new and made specifically for you. There are a lot of threads here with info on custom hat makers.

Landman

One Too Many
Dorsay Hats Tardan Fur Felt

Anybody know anything about Mexican hats, specifically Dorsay hats? If so, I'd be interested in hearing what you know about this hat. I just bought this Dorsay Hat with tardan fur felt on a whim. It looked like an interesting hat in the pictures so I took a chance on it. I haven't received it yet though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Men...M/oDqUl+4uCmfFYvLXBkxhU=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Landman

One Too Many
I've not heard of that maker, but it looks like very nice hat, one of the FLers from Mexico may be familiar with the brand. Looks like it was made in the state of Nogales.

Yes, I think that is the address (124 Obregon Ave, Nogales). The Tardan Fur is what has me puzzled. Maybe it is beaver but I don't come up with any translation when I try different translators on the internet.

Why are Stetson Stratoliners so expensive on ebay [the starting bids and bids}?

I see many that are 200.00 plus.
Thank you.

As mentioned already, there is a demand for certain models that is greater thatn many other models of hats. The trend or popularity of specific models adds pressure to the value. As stated too they only made so many so the supply is limited to those that survive. Condition and also the original value tended to be high, they were usually a higher quality hat, better felts and so on. Collectors recognize that there is a certain added value as the felts are percieved to be of a quality rarely seen today. You would find it difficult to have a reproduction made for the price of the ones up for bid (usually).

Well Mr.Dean if it wasn't for all the loungers buying all the hats I could save money.Now all you have to do is convince everyone to stop buying them so I could "buy" 1 or 2 at a decent price.(haha)
Cry me that river...I swim in the deep end (size 7 5/8). Come dive in with the sharks & see how much you pay for a nice vintage when they show up.
Those in 7 1/2 & 7 3/8 should be glad certain folks aren't actively buying.....

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Cry me that river...I swim in the deep end (size 7 5/8). Come dive in with the sharks & see how much you pay for a nice vintage when they show up.
Those in 7 1/2 & 7 3/8 should be glad certain folks aren't actively buying.....

I hear you there Mr.Dean,just a quick question did you tell your wife you were buying that $3500.00 cowboy hat?(haha)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael