Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Our relationship is based on begging for forgiveness instead of asking for permission!!!!!
If I do pay that much for something, I'd better be able to ride on it or in it....or put in on her finger or around her neck....

Mines a little more simple than that,if I did that I'd just have to find a new place to live.(haha)

mystereons41

New in Town
Hello all,

I am new to the world of hats. I am considering purchasing a hat, but I have a couple concerns about it. The hat in question is a mid 50's Stetson Royal DeLuxe. It is missing the size tag and the brim binding has been removed. From a collector's standpoint, does this reduce the value considerably?

Thanks!

Hello all,

I am new to the world of hats. I am considering purchasing a hat, but I have a couple concerns about it. The hat in question is a mid 50's Stetson Royal DeLuxe. It is missing the size tag and the brim binding has been removed. From a collector's standpoint, does this reduce the value considerably?

Thanks!
Since you used the phrase "collector's standpoint", yes. No size tag & any alteration from original state reduces value. IMHO removing a bound edge from an original vintage model, like a Whippet or Open Road, drastically reduces value from collector's standpoint....

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The short answer is yes.

The long answer is that the price of a vintage hat on 'the market' today depends on a lot of factors, including size. Personally I tend to think that unless it's one of the more iconic Stetson models (Stratoliner, Open Road, Whippet, etc), the issue of of collectors value is significantly diminished. Stetson was producing hundreds of variations of hats back then, and most of the model names aren't even remembered. Further, Royal Deluxe was only Stetson's second highest quality designation; although it's in all likelihood still superior to a modern hat, IMHO, from a collector's standpoint, the more valuable hats are going to be the higher grade felts (although with caveats, e.g., Royal quality Playboys).

Just my $.02.

If you like the hat and it fits, buy it.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a wide brimmed "Pork Pie"?
You will see some in the 1950's in Them Arness has a telescopis with a widish brimm. Perry Mason wore a similar one in s few episodes. Also i recall seeing some film about some guys in zoot suits that worn a very wide brim with telescope crown but can't think of the film. Pork Pie is usually the telescopic crown and a short brim so technically the wide brim breaks the rules but if your just thinking of the telescopic crown yes there are some.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
You will see some in the 1950's in Them Arness has a telescopis with a widish brimm. Perry Mason wore a similar one in s few episodes. Also i recall seeing some film about some guys in zoot suits that worn a very wide brim with telescope crown but can't think of the film. Pork Pie is usually the telescopic crown and a short brim so technically the wide brim breaks the rules but if your just thinking of the telescopic crown yes there are some.

Thanks John got my answer HatsRme found pretty much exactly what I was talking about,and no the brim on the "Tandos" of the Zoot Suiters are to wide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael