Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't hesitate to pay Optimo prices if I could. They are bar none the finest made hats out there. Whether that justifies their price over a Fawcett or any other custom hatter is up to debate, and even though I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Optimo, even I would say that their price is inflated relative to other custom hatters.

But it's also the case that a Mercedes is inflated relative to say, an Acura. Is it nicer? Absolutely. Is it that much nicer? Probably not.

Same thing with Optimo. You pay extra for wild trapped furs, in custom dye runs. You pay for the bells and whistles which basically only Optimo does now (100% belly fur felts, melusine finish, heathered felts). And let's be honest, you also pay rent for their physical storefront.

But as far as the original question, my personal budget is around Teach's actually, $100. For me though, my sense of "value" is distorted by the fact that I have a small head and get most of my deals under $60. I get real cautious when it hits $50. And it takes a real special hat to go above $100. I missed out on a stunning blue Borsalino that had some really nice reverse taper, it went for $121, which I gladly would have beaten if I hadn't put a deposit down on a Facwett.

And as far as that Cavanagh, in that price, at that size, in that condition, a totally fair price to pay. If that were my size, and if I had the cash, I'd bid up to $250 on that hat.

Because if you think about the economics of buying a new hat, you're right at the $175-$250 range anyway for an off the rack or custom. But a vintage Cavanagh in excellent condition is just going to be better than any new hat you can buy off the rack and at least equal to a custom, IMHO.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
J I understand that optimo is awesome. I've never held one of their hats in my hands but I trust you and others. I just simply cant justify that for a hat. We all have our different price points but I just put in an order with Tony at Tumwater and 300 is about as high as I can go right now. I look forward to getting one from Black Sheep which will probablybe rabbit fur for around the same price. I will in the future pony up a little more to get a VS because I have heard they are so ridiculously good but above that I really cant see any hat being worth more to my pocketbook. The key word there is MY we all have different price points because we all love different styles and want different things from our hats. I LOVE whippets and want to own a true vintage badly but I dont love it enough to pay the stupid 600 dollars that someone recently dropped on ebay. They were 10 dollar hats in the 40s and 50s. If that price scale stayed true a Stetson 100 would run like 6 grand? lol

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
We all know it goes by each of our pocket books and if we all could afford to buy what ever we wanted we'd all buy the best hat available.I was only trying to get a basic idea of what we generally feel is an average price to pay,we know that there's always someone that price doesn't matter to and if they want the item they will buy it regardless.

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
Interesting thought just occurred to me,minus a one off custom built or the holy grail of collectibles where do we draw the line?I say $300,anyone want to reply?

Everyone's line is different....and subject to change as circumstances and situations change. Also, as the reasons for buying a hat or any other item changes.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
We all know it goes by each of our pocket books and if we all could afford to buy what ever we wanted we'd all buy the best hat available.I was only trying to get a basic idea of what we generally feel is an average price to pay,we know that there's always someone that price doesn't matter to and if they want the item they will buy it regardless.
I agree completely sorry if we got off on another topic just good conversation. When I first started wearing hats it blew me away people paid over 100 bucks lol. My how things change...

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Yup. They're total beater hats. Pure crap, on the same par as an XX wool blend hat by Eddy Bros. You wouldn't want one. Especially in a larger size! They get weaker and weaker the bigger size they are. PM me with the auction details, so I can buy it and dispose of it properly.
lol

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I know this one is very photoshopped (and a very pathetic attempt at that).

So, I am in the process of purchasing my first homburg, and do not have any idea on how I would look in one... so I photoshopped one onto my head, and well... I don't think a homburg looks half bad on my mug, but that's just me... What do ya'll think?

teddie11.jpg

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Yes, I know this one is very photoshopped (and a very pathetic attempt at that).

So, I am in the process of purchasing my first homburg, and do not have any idea on how I would look in one... so I photoshopped one onto my head, and well... I don't think a homburg looks half bad on my mug, but that's just me... What do ya'll think?

Looks pretty nice Splinter but get rid of the hoodie(haha)naw it suits you just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland