Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I have no idea what RRL means, but the hat looks like it could be wool, in which case it's not worth more than $50. Are you specifically looking for an open-crown hat to crease yourself, or are you wanting to wear it open-crowned? In vintage hats, the creases can be popped back out, but it may take a reblock to completely get rid of them.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RRL is Ralph Lauren's "vintage" niche label. I would want to wear it open crowned. The example Ed linked would have been perfect, if it hadn't been already sold!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Unless you're planning on only wearing on the runway, I'd go with a fur felt vintage over the RRL. A similar brim treatment could be found in a felted edge (as Wiser pictured) or an underwelt. You could always wet/steam the crown open, but in many cases it can be difficult to completely remove any traces of previous creases. Still, you'll get a much better quality hat for a lot less money.

I've seen [images of] several high fashion brand names sporting wool hats in their line up over the past few years, and simply put, there's no way they'll last or hold up, even through a light rain. You'd be paying for the name, and not the quality of the product.

Hope that helps.

flat-top

No definitely. I like the look, but it doesn't have to be RRL or any big name. I'm really not a fedora guy, but I think this style would work for me.
If anyone else can provide links that would be greatly appreciated!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well it looks like a brim between 2 1/8" and 2 1/4", probably about 5 1/4" open crown height (estimating). There should be any number of hats on ebay which fit those specifications. Shorter brims go relatively cheaply as well.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
flat-top
its a 100% wool hat & a rip off & it might not fit correct, stay away save your $
yea its made in Italy but the sizing is inconstintant 7 1/4 is not 22'' round (the listing states 22'' round)
the triple stitching on the brim is nice but the over welt is crappy & looks like a unfinished rough edge...looks floppy the brim
plus its looks like no leather sweatband
for that dough get a custom beaver for a few $ more or a rabbit mix for a little less $
just save those pics & a custom hatter can whip up what you need easy with the open derby type crown
& most importantly a perfect fit !
or get a vintage & just have the crown blocked open crown by a hatter it will be less $ in the long run

your a good guy & you deserve better I know you have some nice duds too cool for the rrl
che

flat-top

I think I'll go for an inexpensive vintage hat. As some of you may know from the other threads I post in, I usually look to the more expensive brands for inspiration, and never really buy them (not at full price anyway).
I just hope I can steam out a bash that's been there for many years.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
You should be able to. I have hats from the 1900s, and you know just by that fact, they have gone through many hands, and look fine in open crown. You may still see remnants of the bash, and if you touch it, it may want to fall back onto it's memory, but with heavy seaming, and re-working the shape, you should have no problems!

job

One Too Many
Can anyone tell me if the Executive name on the sweat of a Champ is for a level of quality and if so where does it stand.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
How much steam should you apply when attemping to tighten a pinch?

This is on your Optimo, no? If it's not holding tight enough on its own, really just a bit of steam is needed. You can also spritz it a bit with distilled water (although I've used filtered water with no ill effects).

GamaH

A-List Customer
This is on your Optimo, no? If it's not holding tight enough on its own, really just a bit of steam is needed. You can also spritz it a bit with distilled water (although I've used filtered water with no ill effects).
Yeah it's the Silverbelly.

Regarding the actual action of the pinch itself, are you supposed to just literally pinch it tighter, or is there some sort of "massaging" the felt involved? I'm worried that rubbing the felt too much is going to end up with a spot where it's going to be thinner and start "pilling."

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
It literally takes years of grabbing at the felt before you'll start looking like Johnny Depp. Yes, you can massage the felt while creasing without worrying about long term damage. For sure it's not good to keep rubbing it, and very tight pinches (think Raiders of The Lost Ark) aren't good for the felt, but for all intents and purposes, you don't need to baby it.

Have you seen the videos on Optimo's site? If you go to the one talking about the felt, you'll see how Graham creases the hats himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou