Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well done and effortless!... but it does help to start with 1920s Stetson Premier Quality felt. ;) Other hats might require a little steam persuasion.

Steam from a kettle is definitely needed with some hats to hold a pinch. Mine has quite a distinct spout. and with over-ridiing the cut-out by holding down the switch you can direct steam fairly well.

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
Ok, as you can see here in these two, the pinch is a little off center, but that doesn't really bother me as much. However the pinch dents do. The one seems too large, and the creases are uneven in height. I know it may seem odd that the off center pinch doesn't bother me but the sizes and uneven top do. :p What can I say? Showing age and character is one thing, as long as it doesn't get 'sloppy'... Lol, I get weirdly anal about some things...

5BA83D2A-5AB8-4AD7-BB39-E942526423EA_zpsmpr4ztni.jpg

9F5070C3-2F94-4FD5-8360-02607D882B06_zpsiebqqkvf.jpg

And in these next two you can see where the center/diamond dent is just all wonky...

C47D2B03-AF2C-401B-BF48-9DBF09ED8270_zpso1eqg7sc.jpg

27DCDDD9-A2D9-45DB-9F8D-0CA44230A0C0_zpsz6wpppfs.jpg

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
I was wearing an Akubra Bronco hat yesterday (cattleman crease) in pouring rain, when the hat was pretty drenched, i steamed it quite easily into an open crown, then opted for a different bash. This hat was pretty stiff, but with steam and a wet felt, it popped into the new shape effortlessly... Just not sure I like the end result, but thats another story..

Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
I recently had Optimo replace the sweatbands in four vintage hats, which required they be cleaned and re-blocked. The hats were all from the late '40s, early to mid- '50s--a Mallory Ten, a Lee Silver Label, a Knox Fifteen, and a Hersey Hat Company branded Champ. When they came back, they were like brand new hats. Three of the four took hand creases and the third, the Champ, required a minor amount of steam to set the pinch. So having a hat made of high quality felt makes a difference.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I was wearing an Akubra Bronco hat yesterday (cattleman crease) in pouring rain, when the hat was pretty drenched, i steamed it quite easily into an open crown, then opted for a different bash. This hat was pretty stiff, but with steam and a wet felt, it popped into the new shape effortlessly... Just not sure I like the end result, but thats another story..

Ah but it is truly yours now! I do hope that you come up with something that pleases you. Besides, anything beats a cattleman's crease in my view. Generally reworked any hat with one when given a chance.

Fed

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd use steam, and then just tweak with my fingers. A pan of water will work but I find an electric kettle easier (mines got an old fashioned spout, but if you've got a wider spout you can make a narrower spout out of tin foil). With a kettle you can direct the steam more easily.

fedoracentric

Banned
Get a whole bunch of guys with different sized heads and...

But seriously, the measuring noted above is the best way. Hat sizing devices are pretty expensive and the measuring suggested above will get you close enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace