Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toine

New in Town
Hat Size Question

I have a huge head. Measured, It's 61cm. However, when I went to Jos van Dijck in Utrecht, I tried on a 61, and the lady in the store recommended I use a 62. I didn't buy a hat then, but now that I'm back in the US, I'm thinking of buying a Borsalino Como.

At Bencraft hatters, the sizes are in US sizes. So, according to the conversion chart, I should get a 7 3/4. However, my fitted baseball cap is 7 7/8. It's not too tight, but it does have some extra space.

What size hat would you recommend?

Thanks,

T

fedoracentric

Banned
Welcome to the world of hats where every manufacturer's hats sizes are a tad different than the next and other even the same company's hats are different one from another even in the same size. The problem is, hats are made of pliable material subject to temperature and age, so the best way is to chose your hat by trying them on before you buy. It is a bit difficult to answer your question, unfortunately.

viclip

Practically Family
Modern Borsos have a reputation for being on the smallish side for their stated size, which I can actually vouch for as to one of mine. If you're unable to try the hat on before buying, then I'd recommend for sure that you contact the seller & inquire as to whether the particular Borso in question is "true" to size.

Bear in mind that it's generally better to err on the side of the next larger size. A bit of felt or similar padding will usually make the slightly large hat suitable & comfortable to wear. However an undersized hat will be an object of regret.

most stock hats , in my experience are different even within the same company -- i hope even my custom cap will fit like i with , a measured size might not even feel well

Ormazd

One of the Regulars
I found this thread on a search. I would be interested, besdor. Your PM box is full so I can't send you a message.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Toine -

I have a Borsalino Como (bought from Bencraft Hatters a couple of years ago). I bought my true size 59cm/7-3/8 and the hat is snug but doesn't leave a mark on my forehead. It fits well enough that it stays put on my head without squeezing.

If you are between sizes, I would suggest going up to the nearest size. Hats typically shrink slightly over time. I hope I have helped you. Good luck!

Noel

safeman

New in Town
Hat repairs in sacramento area?

I have a very nice fedora but I want a wider ribbon on it do you guys know a hat shop near sacramento ca that does this?

tommyK

One Too Many
Thanks Besdor, I'll pick a couple up next time I'm in. Just in case. I'm pretty confident most of my hats can take the rain but you never know, might be handy to have around.

Is there something wrong at Photobucket? For three days the site has been non-responsive most times I attempt to get links, and painfully slow when it does work. All other sites have been functioning normally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou