Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I've just ordered a hat (an Akubra Territory) for work and have been doing more research on hats in general while I wait for it to show up. Do hats tend to shrink or is it more like "conforming" to the head? I ordered my correct size and am wondering if I should have ordered a size up. I have a hat stretcher to keep it on; is this a reliable method to keep a hats shape? Thanks
This probably won't help since you've already ordered the hat, but the best thing to do when you're uncertain about which size to order is to contact the vendor, provide them your head measurement (including whether you're an extra-long oval, long oval, regular oval, wide oval, etc.), and ask for their size recommendation.

I currently own six Akubra hats; three Fed IVs and three Campdrafts. The oldest, a Fed IV, was purchased in 2008 and still fits well to this day even though it's the one I wear least. That being said, in my experience with Akubras hat sizing is more "art" than "science". All of my Akubras are size 60. After the expected "shrink to fit" period the three Fed IVs all fit the same, and the three Campdrafts all fit the same, but the Campdrafts were approximately half a size too small for me and needed to be stretched just a little for them to be comfortable. It's a lesson learned, and now I know what to expect when I order hats in the future.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
This probably won't help since you've already ordered the hat, but the best thing to do when you're uncertain about which size to order is to contact the vendor, provide them your head measurement (including whether you're an extra-long oval, long oval, regular oval, wide oval, etc.), and ask for their size recommendation.

I currently own six Akubra hats; three Fed IVs and three Campdrafts. The oldest, a Fed IV, was purchased in 2008 and still fits well to this day even though it's the one I wear least. That being said, in my experience with Akubras hat sizing is more "art" than "science". All of my Akubras are size 60. After the expected "shrink to fit" period the three Fed IVs all fit the same, and the three Campdrafts all fit the same, but the Campdrafts were approximately half a size too small for me and needed to be stretched just a little for them to be comfortable. It's a lesson learned, and now I know what to expect when I order hats in the future.
My 2 Feds were ordered one size large (59) and shrank to fit fine at 58. My Bluegrass Green CD fits true to size 58 as ordered. My Silverbelly was ordered 58 and shrank...

My 2 Feds were ordered one size large (59) and shrank to fit fine at 58. My Bluegrass Green CD fits true to size 58 as ordered. My Silverbelly was ordered 58 and shrank...
My experience does seem to be the opposite of everyone else's. Even Hats Direct told me the Fed IV tends to run about half a size small and the Campdraft runs true to size, but the opposite has been true for me. My head measures so close to 60 cm that the difference isn't even worth mentioning, and it appears to be only slightly wider than the blocks they use for their size 60 Feds and CDs (I'm sure there's a "blockhead" joke in there somewhere), so I'm not too surprised their hats fit me as well as they do even though my Hat Jack gets used once in a while.

By the way, I should probably mention that I've been referring mostly to my Imperial Grade Akubras. One of my aforementioned Fed IVs is a Heritage Grade hat, but Akubra uses a different type of leather for the sweatbands on their Heritage Grade hats that shrinks only slightly.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
My experience does seem to be the opposite of everyone else's. Even Hats Direct told me the Fed IV tends to run about half a size small and the Campdraft runs true to size, but the opposite has been true for me. My head measures so close to 60 cm that the difference isn't even worth mentioning, and it appears to be only slightly wider than the blocks they use for their size 60 Feds and CDs (I'm sure there's a "blockhead" joke in there somewhere), so I'm not too surprised their hats fit me as well as they do even though my Hat Jack gets used once in a while.

By the way, I should probably mention that I've been referring mostly to my Imperial Grade Akubras. One of my aforementioned Fed IVs is a Heritage Grade hat, but Akubra uses a different type of leather for the sweatbands on their Heritage Grade hats that shrinks only slightly.
If Hats Direct told you the Feds run a "half size small" don't you need to order the next size larger? Thats exactly what they told me. Thus I had to order a 59 when I'm a 58. Your experience is not the opposite of mine. Re the Feds it's the same! "Hey, we're good like that" My Bro.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Hi all,
I'm a little hesitant to post this and not sure how to handle it. I ordered two caps from AmiCharnel on Etsy on December 16th. They where shipped on December 29th. Unfortunately the caps seem to be MIA. I contacted Stew (AmiCharnel) on Januari 11th. He informed me that the Royal Mail had been woeful over Christmas and that he would chaes this up and down with them and get back to me soon. Two days later he emailed me to ask if the caps had arrived yet (no, they had not) After that nothing. I send heim two reminder over the last two days, but no response so far.

At what point should I consider filing a complaint and leaving a negative review on Etsy??

Thanks for reading this folks.
Sergej

If Hats Direct told you the Feds run a "half size small" don't you need to order the next size larger?
I would think so, but no. When I ordered my first Fed IV in 2008 the "half a size small" issue was never mentioned. I ordered a size 60 and it fit perfectly, so that's the size I've ordered since. Maybe they do run half a size small and that's just what's comfortable for me. But if that's the case, the Campdrafts I've received wound up being a full size small because all three had to be stretched a little after the "shrink to fit" period. :confused:

The one thing I do know is that Akubra's size 60 works for me, even if I have to use my Hat Jack once in a while; everyone else's mileage may vary. :D

sooners

New in Town
Can anyone identify the style of this hat and where I might get one? Thanks for the help.

FullSizeRender-8.jpg

Meyer

New in Town
I have a question about a Borsalino hat that I just bought
Inside there is a label saying:
Cod. Col. 97A000537
490004 0261 59

I understand that the hat is from 1997, and it is size 59, what does the 490004 means ?

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm a little hesitant to post this and not sure how to handle it. I ordered two caps from AmiCharnel on Etsy on December 16th. They where shipped on December 29th. Unfortunately the caps seem to be MIA. I contacted Stew (AmiCharnel) on Januari 11th. He informed me that the Royal Mail had been woeful over Christmas and that he would chaes this up and down with them and get back to me soon. Two days later he emailed me to ask if the caps had arrived yet (no, they had not) After that nothing. I send heim two reminder over the last two days, but no response so far.

At what point should I consider filing a complaint and leaving a negative review on Etsy??

Sergej
I ordered 3 caps from Stew back in October. The first shipment went MIA as did the second shipment. He tracked down the second shipment that was sitting in a corner of the Royal Mail depot, shipped it and it arrived before Christmas but alas he screwed up the sizing and they were way too big. I returned the hats and he shipped replacements a week ago and they should arrive next week. He had some family emergencies but did always get back to me even if delayed. He shipped two caps and I asked for a refund on the third. Stew issued the refund right away. I will let you know as soon as my caps arrive. Not sure what to say except Stew did alright with me in the face of trying circumstance. I am very shy about ordering from the UK now but I did order a cap from Celtic Tweed on Etsy and it arrived in two weeks with no problem.

Hi all,

Sergej
I do hope the caps arrive for you. They are great caps and I was seriously disappointed on the first shipment being too big. I certainly hope the replacements show up as he does great work.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Hi all,

Sergej

I would give it a bit more time to see what may come. If you have nothing in maybe two more weeks, then use your own options to solve the situtaion. Your seller seems to be a stand up guy, so let your seller know everything you can and ask questions of the seller as well. Hopefully it will be alright and everything gets worked out for you. Good luck to you!

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
I would give it a bit more time to see what may come. If you have nothing in maybe two more weeks, then use your own options to solve the situtaion. Your seller seems to be a stand up guy, so let your seller know everything you can and ask questions of the seller as well. Hopefully it will be alright and everything gets worked out for you. Good luck to you!

Thanks. Seller refunded my money, so all is well.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9515 met Tapatalk

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
I ordered 3 caps from Stew back in October. The first shipment went MIA as did the second shipment. He tracked down the second shipment that was sitting in a corner of the Royal Mail depot, shipped it and it arrived before Christmas but alas he screwed up the sizing and they were way too big. I returned the hats and he shipped replacements a week ago and they should arrive next week. He had some family emergencies but did always get back to me even if delayed. He shipped two caps and I asked for a refund on the third. Stew issued the refund right away. I will let you know as soon as my caps arrive. Not sure what to say except Stew did alright with me in the face of trying circumstance. I am very shy about ordering from the UK now but I did order a cap from Celtic Tweed on Etsy and it arrived in two weeks with no problem.
Stew contacted me and refunded my money. Unfortunate that my caps could not be traced. Ces't la vie I guess.

Stew contacted me and refunded my money. Unfortunate that my caps could not be traced. Ces't la vie I guess.

Great news and I am glad to hear it. Stew seems like a good guy and his caps are great. I think the Royal Mail let him down in a big way. I purchased a cap from Celtic Tweed on Etsy and it is a good tweed that I am very happy with. Not as good as Stew's but cheaper. Celtic Tweed are less full in the body with a plastic bill insert and a cloth sweat but the tweeds are top notch and the sewing is great.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Great news and I am glad to hear it. Stew seems like a good guy and his caps are great. I think the Royal Mail let him down in a big way. I purchased a cap from Celtic Tweed on Etsy and it is a good tweed that I am very happy with. Not as good as Stew's but cheaper. Celtic Tweed are less full in the body with a plastic bill insert and a cloth sweat but the tweeds are top notch and the sewing is great.

Pretty sure the Royal Mail messed up here. I'm sure Stew is not a bad guy. He probably should have responded a bit quicker, but we managed to sort things out. All in all no harm done. I'll probably order another cap from him in the future. Don't think I've seen that quality for that price anywhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy