Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Starting out

I've just recently had my interest in vintage culture renewed. I've always loved the music, fashion, and literature, from or based on the 30's and 40's. As I've been raised in very "Cowboy" towns, I understand quite a bit about cleaning, shaping, restoration, and general care for western styled fur felt hats. Does this knowlege transfer to fedoras (and friends)? I'd like to be able to do the general cleaning, care and some restoration for all kinds of hats for myself and maybe others when I get it down well.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Alan-Eby said:
As I've been raised in very "Cowboy" towns, I understand quite a bit about cleaning, shaping, restoration, and general care for western styled fur felt hats. Does this knowlege transfer to fedoras (and friends)? I'd like to be able to do the general cleaning, care and some restoration for all kinds of hats for myself and maybe others when I get it down well.

Everything transfers BUT the felt is generally much thinner with less stiffener added so fedoras need to be treated gently as compared to western hats.

You also need to be very careful not to shrink or otherwise mangle the ribbon.

The bound or edged brims respond differently as well but you'll get used to it. Just don't try to make the brim do something it really doesn't want to do.

If you use steam you will find you need a LOT less steam to get a fedora to do what you want. Usually a quick shot is enough.

danofarlington said:
Got to be 6 7/8, no?
:arated: HIGHLY more likely than a 7 7/8. I bought 1 off ebay that had 5/8 & the seller swore it measured over 23.5" around the sweatband. It was a 6 5/8 & didn't even measure 23" around the outside of the crown. It was pristine tho but was child-size. I got my refund even though the seller said no dice thru ebay dispute settlement. Always ask the seller to measure the circumference around the sweatband or across the opening front to back & side to side, that way you get an idea if it is a 6 or 7 size category.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
BanjoMerlin said:
Everything transfers BUT the felt is generally much thinner with less stiffener added so fedoras need to be treated gently as compared to western hats.

You also need to be very careful not to shrink or otherwise mangle the ribbon.

The bound or edged brims respond differently as well but you'll get used to it. Just don't try to make the brim do something it really doesn't want to do.

If you use steam you will find you need a LOT less steam to get a fedora to do what you want. Usually a quick shot is enough.

Thanks for the info. I've noticed the thinner felt and assumed that it would take less steam. The other thing I have to get used to, is that fedoras are also softer for the most part and that changes things a bit.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Another Question

I have an old wool felt cowboy hat with a diamond crease. Have any of you made a fedora from such a hat or heard of it done? I think it'd work pretty well as the basic shape it already there. I'm thinking of cutting it down from a 6" brim to a 2.5" or 3" I'm wanting to get close to a Bogart style hat so what brim length would be appropriate.

Alan-Eby said:
I have an old wool felt cowboy hat with a diamond crease. Have any of you made a fedora from such a hat or heard of it done? I think it'd work pretty well as the basic shape it already there. I'm thinking of cutting it down from a 6" brim to a 2.5" or 3" I'm wanting to get close to a Bogart style hat so what brim length would be appropriate.
How is the brim edge finished on the old wool cowboy hat? My experience with wool brims is they need lots of shellac or a over or under welt finish on the edge. Cutting to "fedora" length, under 3", could cause you to have a wavy brim if not enough stiffener is in the brim. JMHO. It can be done & seems like a good hat to practice on, especially if it doesn't get any use in the current form. Go for it...

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
How is the brim edge finished on the old wool cowboy hat? My experience with wool brims is they need lots of shellac or a over or under welt finish on the edge. Cutting to "fedora" length, under 3", could cause you to have a wavy brim if not enough stiffener is in the brim. JMHO. It can be done & seems like a good hat to practice on, especially if it doesn't get any use in the current form. Go for it...

http://slideshow-9.curcutrider10.imageloop.com/

Works for me!:)

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Hat conversion

gtdean48 said:

The brim is merely cut and sanded.
I'm not wearing this hat at all so it is indeed the perfect hat to practise on. The hat is old and quite soft (for a cowboy hat that is) but I have hat stiffener if the brim becomes wavy. When I finish it I'll see if I can figure out how to load photos on here. I'm hoping to accomplish my hat transformation by the end of next week ( I need to obtain some ribbon and a leather band)
Thank you all for your advice and links.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
New Fedora

So I cut down the brim on my old western hat today. I shaped the crown a bit more to get more of a fedora shape. Now I got to install a new sweatband and ribbon.
I've worn my hat since I finished and have already got my first "hey look it's Indiana Jones!!" comments.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
"New" Hat

gtdean48 said:
You definitely did it right then!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Thanks!!! I love it so much that I'm wearing it already with out totally finishing up. I'm really glad that I decided to actually take a perfectly good western hat and destroy it to create something new!

Hangman

New in Town
I have a 'Bailey Guthrie' made of Shantung straw and it has sweat stains. Can someone let me know of a safe way to clean it?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Who here has found a vintage hat and had it reblocked?

I'm looking at taking a Royal Stetson with a 4 1/2 inch crown and getting it reblocked so it has that peak in the font. But the rub lies in the fact that I'm not sure how much crown you need for that peak. Any thoughts?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Hangman said:
I have a 'Bailey Guthrie' made of Shantung straw and it has sweat stains. Can someone let me know of a safe way to clean it?

To clear something up, are the stains on the actual straw or on the sweat band?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Hangman said:
Water is the best solvent for sweat stains(Salt water source). You just have to be careful to maintain the shape or later restore it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn