Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
A while back, I won a very nice 1960-something Resistol Krushable off eBay. The seller sent it to me in a box that was too small for the hat and flattened the darn thing. When I received it, I honestly didn't feel like fooling with it, so I popped the crown out and put it in a box.

The last few days, I've been trying to do something to get the deeply set folds and creases out. I have steamed it, gave it a good stiff brushing, fiddled with it by hand... nothing seems to get them out.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of 'em?

Randy

This may or may not work, but I think it should. Take out the liner (if there is one, and flip up the sweatband, then fill the open crown with water and let it sit for a while.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Yeps said:
This may or may not work, but I think it should. Take out the liner (if there is one, and flip up the sweatband, then fill the open crown with water and let it sit for a while.

Interesting idea...

There's a liner, but it's partially unstitched anyway so I may take it out and give this a try.

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
Well, if it's not worth a re-block. Maybe fill up the tub and dunk it, then let it dry very slowly in the shape of your choice?

-Dave

Oh it's well worth a reblock [kitten finish beaver] , but I'd hate to spend the money on it at present or else it would have been sent off already.

Randy

Pusiek

New in Town
Akubra Fed IV size

Hi everyone (or at least everyone reading this thread),

It's a pleasure to join The Fedora Lounge.

As I want to buy Akubra Fed IV (carbon gray), I am wondering, if anyone of you could compare the sizes of Fed IV and Christy's Adventurer? I know that sometime the same size (in my case 60 cm) could be slightly different depending on a hatter and I don't want to order it from Australia just to find out, that it's a wrong size (I suppose that there is no Akubra retailer in the UK, or to be more precise Akubra retailer selling Fed IV hats). I had Adventurer size 60 cm and I know, that it was a perfect fit; sadly I didn't like the Adventurer itself.

I would much appreciate any help in that matter.

Piotrek

frussell

One Too Many
Adventurer & Fed IV sizing

In my experience, the Christy's sizes are more snug than Akubra. I was able to wear a size 62 in Akubra comfortably, while Christy's Adventurer in a 62 was too tight to keep. I thought the Adventurer's felt was really nice, but overall construction of the Fed IV is more solid and may withstand the elements better. Good luck to you. Frank

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

Has anyone found a good online supplier of grosgrain ribbon in the UK?

Somewhere with a good selection of colours/widths if at all possible.

I have been in every haberdashers in this city - All I can say is RUBBISH! :eusa_doh:

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I'm trying to figure out what "Deep Fawn" for a Squatter looks like, but I can't seem to load the Akubra felt color thingamabob in the Start Here thread. Is anyone else having trouble with that?

theinterchange

One Too Many
Pusiek said:
Hi everyone (or at least everyone reading this thread),

It's a pleasure to join The Fedora Lounge.

As I want to buy Akubra Fed IV (carbon gray), I am wondering, if anyone of you could compare the sizes of Fed IV and Christy's Adventurer? I know that sometime the same size (in my case 60 cm) could be slightly different depending on a hatter and I don't want to order it from Australia just to find out, that it's a wrong size (I suppose that there is no Akubra retailer in the UK, or to be more precise Akubra retailer selling Fed IV hats). I had Adventurer size 60 cm and I know, that it was a perfect fit; sadly I didn't like the Adventurer itself.

I would much appreciate any help in that matter.

Piotrek

Welcome to the Fedora Lounge!

My suggestion to you is send Hats Direct an email with your head measurements and let them steer you to the proper size. It seems that, for some, the Federation is a tricky hat to get proper sizing by guesswork on the part of the buyer.

It's better to play it safe and get advice from the vendor if you're unsure. Hats Direct are a great outfit and have always been more than helpful when I contact them.

I think you'll love the Fed, it's a spectacular hat, and one of my favorites. Also, hope my two cents were of value to you.

Randy

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I know this has been covered probably a lot, but my searches on these threads always come up short.

I want to stretch a hat from 6 7/8 to a 7, its the next size up, and seems plausible but I'd like some others opinions on the matter before I do so.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Mr. Vim,
I've stretched a hat from 7 3/8 to 7 1/2, and sent a different one to Mike Moore for the same stretch. Both were successful. Mike removed the ribbon and sweat from the one he did, while I stretched the one that I did with the sweat still in it. If I were going to stretch a nice, or vintage, hat, I'd have it professionally done, but only because I lack the skills to sew the sweat back in. For a beater, or an experiment hat, I don't mind stretching with the sweat in. However, others with more experience than I may disagree.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Wet the sweat a little, all around. Don't drench it though. Then using a hat jack stretch it and leave overnight until it dries. I've stretched 6 7/8 hats to my size ( 7 1/8) with great success. They never go back to their former size. No need to take ribbon and leather out. Use caution.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Aureliano said:
. . . .Use caution.
And go slowly. It took me several days to stretch my Resistol up one size. You just wet it down, tighten up the stretcher, and wait. Rinse and repeat until the job's done. Patience is a virtue.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I appreciate the tips, I would have never thought to wet down the sweatband.

I bought the hat today for $20.00. Now I need a hat jack.

Edit: I have also purchased a hat jack... now watch by some strange turn of events the hat fits perfectly. Ah well, who cares.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Mr Vim said:
Edit: I have also purchased a hat jack... now watch by some strange turn of events the hat fits perfectly. Ah well, who cares.

A hat jack is good to have in any case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn