Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
'Quick question please - in relation to hats, what is a 'pug' ?

I tried a google search & got lots of images of dogs wearing hats .....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...X&ved=0ahUKEwj5sc67y-XRAhXpB8AKHQVrDgUQsAQIJg

Pug is short for puggaree. It's a non-ribbon band that is attached to the hat. Made of silk or nylon, they're often attached via little metallic hooks. You usually see them on straw hats, but not exclusively.

On a side note, we need a "Dogs Wearing Hats" thread.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

pedestrian

New in Town
Gus, you are correct that Tilleys have the two cords as you've described. And though it may seem awkward, they aren't; you can poke both up inside the crown if you wish (my normal choice) and you won't feel them up there. And should you ever find yourself in a very windy situation or somewhere where having the hat fly off in use (whitewater, etc.), the cords could prove very useful.

Thank you. That's helpful.

--Gus

Unless lightning strikes I have completed the accumulation of custom hats from the hatters of the Lounge (and a few not on the Lounge) . I wanted to peruse the market and see, first hand, the offerings of the many wonderful hatters here on the Lounge. My question is; the work of all the hatters is stellar and it has been a treat to see what each has done with essentially the same Winchester felt, but the hand of each the hats is very different. Some are very stiff, almost cardboard in their hand while others are soft and almost floppy. I love them all, as each has their own character and quality but what determines the hand of the felt? Is it a question of skill in the pouncing? Is it a question of the hatters vision? Is it a question of how much stiffener, how much pouncing? Hatters if you read this feel free to wade into the discussion.
I am surprised at the zero response. Thought for certain it would induce multiple responses with a wide range of opinions.

Brass Rooster

Vendor
Does anyone know of anyone who has the skills to re-sew in an unreeded sweatband (assuming that the sweatbands are in nice pliable condition themselves)? I've got a few that could use some help... rotted thread.

I've had to have a few replaced with new sweatbands over the years and it pains me every time. I'd just love to be able to keep all of the original parts to my vintage hats. It seems very difficult to do so with unreeded sweatbands.

Any pointers?

Thanks.
The Brass Rooster can do that work for you. We offer full cleaning, blocking, new sweats, custom ribbon, bashing, brim cutting & binding as well as restoration work. Call us or email and we would be glad to help save a vintage lid.

emigran

Practically Family
Hello everybody

Question for the shirt professionals.
I have a shirt with buttons and buttonholes. Can i combine it with cufflinks? or does not fit this combination?

thanks
Love cufflinks ... but really only match up with real double side French cuffs... I remember there were shirts that my father and I used to have in the '60's (we shared a good sized cufflink collection) had both buttons and cufflink holes but were one sided... Always thought they were 'cheezy'...

miket5r

A-List Customer
Love cufflinks ... but really only match up with real double side French cuffs... I remember there were shirts that my father and I used to have in the '60's (we shared a good sized cufflink collection) had both buttons and cufflink holes but were one sided... Always thought they were 'cheezy'...

Thank you Emil. I think i would buy shirts with cufflinks. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24