Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monavillecowboy

One of the Regulars
I can't help you but I've been thinking of having one from them.
I used to sell the brand and have to agree with fivesense concerning the heavy lacquering of the straws.
I thought the felts were well made and very reasonably priced.
I stopped selling them due to sizing issues.
Now that I'm a bit more experienced I wouldn't mind trying them again.
I'm hesitant to contact them because I was really bummed out and was rather short with them when I cancelled all my orders.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
I used to sell the brand and have to agree with fivesense concerning the heavy lacquering of the straws.
I thought the felts were well made and very reasonably priced.
I stopped selling them due to sizing issues.
Now that I'm a bit more experienced I wouldn't mind trying them again.
I'm hesitant to contact them because I was really bummed out and was rather short with them when I cancelled all my orders.
My guess is MHT will welcome you back, for a couple reasons. One, it's just good business for them to expand their market. Two, they seem like nice, reasonable folks who probably understand they've had quality control issues in the past and they may be eager to prove they've fixed the issues.

I don't really know, but considering what must be a fairly competitive market, I assume they aren't likely to turn away opportunity. I don't see any potential for their straw hats however. If you compare MHT straw in the $50 range to the $50 range of say, Atwood, there's no comparison. The Atwood hats are far superior. I just ordered an Atwood palm Hereford 7X perforated- sharp hat, solid palm leaf construction- for $50. Plus, Atwood is adding their proprietary "Cool-lix" sweatband at my request (I prefer a more absorbent band in the warmer months).

Good luck. As you've noted, the MHT felt hats are pretty nice.

Bob Roberts is dead nuts on!! I have a dark moss felt with an "espresso" brown ribbon which is forever getting complements. Actually posted it in today's WHAYWT thread. I don't recall if it's considered a contrasting color, or a complementary color, but a classic combo, it IS!
I have a Moss green heather on order with Bob, I chose a darker brown ribbon but I am now intrigued and will look at a real dark brown expresso. Considered the rust but decided it was a bit too prominent for my subdued tastes.

Xopher

A-List Customer
Howdy all,
I'm a long time news boy hat wearer. Have one I love, from golden age motorcycle clothing but it's getting old and I'm looking for a new one.
Where can I find a super super high quality period correct news cap. I'm talking one so nice people will try to steal it and I'll have to write it into my will.

RJR

Howdy all,
I'm a long time news boy hat wearer. Have one I love, from golden age motorcycle clothing but it's getting old and I'm looking for a new one.
Where can I find a super super high quality period correct news cap. I'm talking one so nice people will try to steal it and I'll have to write it into my will.
Loungers:Cordova,Simonds,Monsivais,LoBue to name some that come to mind quickly.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
A question or two for boater fans.
I'm thinking about getting my first boater. I notice in pics that they tend to sit higher on the head than fedoras or bowlers. Does the sizing reflect that? I'm in between a 7 1/4 and 7 3/8 in other hat styles, would the larger size be the better option?
Thanks.

They do ride a little higher than a fedora or Homburg. Even higher than a bowler would. I found my Dobbs c1950 on the Bay in a 7 1/4 LO and it is a perfect fit. You should be fine without going to crazy oversize. I don't have experience with multiple Boaters, and can't talk to variations from different makers or vintage. I've seen some fine ones float across lately, must be the promise of sunshine soon.

Dobbs Boater c1950 bow sizetag 640x.jpg
Dobbs Boater c1950 top 700x.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Red. The one I'm looking at is a 7 3/8, I figured I could shim it down easier than trying to stretch a 7 1/4. My big worry is whether I should go for a smaller size because of how the hat rides.

dan_t

Practically Family
Hey there, I'm a regular over in the Outerwear section.
I'm a youthful 40 year old who doesn't wear hats, so far.
I am however getting to the point where I really am starting to appreciate blocking the sun from my head & face.
I've been browsing the Akubra site (being in Australia), but they all look suitable for either old blokes or country guys on a farm.
Is there anything that provides a full brim sun protection & is stylish enough for younger guys?
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

D00R

One of the Regulars
Hi, I wanted to get a replacment hat
Band for my fedora. Is $45 dollars the general cost to have this done?
I wanted a dark gray ribbon with a bow thats 39mm wide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21