Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
If a hat's headband is stretched out; is it possible to get it back to original size? If so how?
Yes, assuming it's leather in good shape. I turn them out, saturate them with room temp water, remove the excess water with a towel (so it does not soak through the felt) turn it back in and let dry. Usually that is enough to bring it back to original. If not, or if I wish to shrink it more, I use greater temperature of both the water and drying temp. Work your way up gradually because some bands shrink easily and some don't. There's lots of trial and error.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Opinions on what I should do with this Vintage Stetson....

My only real vintage hat is this Stetson Select quality, perfect felt, brim width is 2 5/8", crown with center bash 5 ½”. Sweatband shows it’s age, no liner. Size 7 1/2” but probably closer to a large 7 3/8” due to age/shrinkage. I was considering a couple of things: Maybe getting it re-blocked, new sweat and liner and updated ribbon (different color) but maybe $ would be better spent if I sold it and put it towards a custom (normally would not of gotten a black hat) or I can maybe try purchasing a new liner, replacement sweat and some vintage ribbon and giving it a try (although I will not be able to re-block to a smaller size)? Any opinions or thoughts?

Great hat. If you like the style keep it. Give it a good brushing. Maybe use a dry cleaning pad on it to give it a good once over. Use a leather conditioner on the sweatband to see if it can be saved. If not just get a new one put in and wear it in good health.
Johnny

johnnycanuck

I am having trouble deciding.
I usually choose a hat and wear it straight for a few weeks, to a few months. Lately I have been wearing my Akubra snowy river but want to step up my game with one of my works of Art. But can't decide. A blue crossover or a green fedora. Both have 3" brim so offer similar sun protection.

Opinions?
Johnny

I usually choose a hat and wear it straight for a few weeks, to a few months. Lately I have been wearing my Akubra snowy river but want to step up my game with one of my works of Art. But can't decide. A blue crossover or a green fedora. Both have 3" brim so offer similar sun protection.

Opinions?
Johnny
Of course, BOTH would be the FL choice. I like the minty greenish color, but the blue crossover might be more versatile.

RJR

Opinions?
Johnny
Sorry but it looks like a toss up to me.

Bill Hughes

Yes, assuming it's leather in good shape. I turn them out, saturate them with room temp water, remove the excess water with a towel (so it does not soak through the felt) turn it back in and let dry. Usually that is enough to bring it back to original. If not, or if I wish to shrink it more, I use greater temperature of both the water and drying temp. Work your way up gradually because some bands shrink easily and some don't. There's lots of trial and error.
Will try it tonight. Just knew there had to be a way. Thanks.

Bill Hughes

Opinions?
Johnny
Be different. Go green.

Fedster

Familiar Face
Is there such thing as a felt (not wool) boonie hat? it would probably have a cloth sweatband, but a hat's gotta do what a hat's gotta do...

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Fedoras in Amsterdam - I just landed here with a bunch of random meetings around the city - any accessible vintage or other shops where I might check out some fedoras? I only have today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earthboundbob

New in Town
Howdy folks. Last week one or two of pointed me in the direction of AmiCharnel. I browsed the wares there and the newsboy caps seem to be just what I'm looking for. I went ahead and purchased one, and then messaged them with some follow up questions about my order, but it's been a week and I have not heard back. Anyone know if this is typical? I admit I'm a little nervous, because the last time I bought a hat from a seller highly regarded on TFL, I had a pretty bad experience in which I sent message after message and never heard back. After a few months, I wound up canceling my order. Am I just being impatient, or what? Thoughts?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I have not worked with AmiCharnel, but when I do have work in the queue with a hatter I try not to bother them until my name comes up on the wait list. I figure, if they're spending a bunch of time talking/emailing with me then my hat is going to take longer, and if they're spending a lot of time conversing with others, then my hat is going to take longer, too...

Jane

New in Town
how old is my Borsalino hat and is it valluable. Code 10647, it also has madonna written on the label and TON1NA size 4

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
photos needed of the liner, sweatband, and any tags under the sweatband ... and this should be in the ask a question thread or one of the many Borsalino threads

Reactions: Uhu

Jane

New in Town
The photo is to large to add i think

Attachments

• IMG_5281.JPG
    IMG_5281.JPG
    784.1 KB · Views: 94

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member