Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

roxborotomm

New in Town
Mt Grandfathers Fedora

My "pop pop" passed away in 1991 and I have held on to some of his belongings. One if them is a Adam Hat Executive Fedora, medium grey in color. Size 6 1/2. Even though I am a 7 5/8, I have held onto it. I was wondering if there is anyway to date the Fedora. I have the original box, and the hat has a tag inside under the band that states "$7.50 Mail order". What would the value of the hat be and being that is such a smaller size, would there be a market for it?
Thank you - Tom

billyspew

One Too Many
roxborotomm said:
My "pop pop" passed away in 1991 and I have held on to some of his belongings. One if them is a Adam Hat Executive Fedora, medium grey in color. Size 6 1/2. Even though I am a 7 5/8, I have held onto it. I was wondering if there is anyway to date the Fedora. I have the original box, and the hat has a tag inside under the band that states "$7.50 Mail order". What would the value of the hat be and being that is such a smaller size, would there be a market for it?
Thank you - Tom

If you can post a picture of the lining, I might be able to help. There's always a market for the hat, but it probably isn't worth a lot.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Upload your photos to Photobuck or such. Copy and paste the IMG code for the photo into your Lounge post. We will see it in your post. Welcome! ;)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Here's the procedure as it appears in the Lounge FAQs.

The way you attach photos:

You need to upload images to a server. Either your ISP (internet service provider) or image hosting sites such as http://www.webshots.com/ or http://photobucket.com/ Once you have uploaded your photo and can see it in your browser, put your cursor over the photo and right click and select properties. This will show you the address of just the photo. Highlight and copy that. To attach the image to a post at The Fedora Lounge, start a post and click on the little image icon above the text field. A pop up box will allow you to paste the address of your image. Click ok. The photo will appear with your post.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum: .

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon .

imported_kevin

New in Town
What's the diff?

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the Stetson Saxon and the Dobbs Dayton — besides the labels?
They are both made by the same company and look similar. Any thoughts?

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
I have a Stetson Saxon and am very pleased with it. I believe Hatco makes both Stetson and Dobbs and that ain't all, so the Dobbs may very well be the same as the Saxon with a different name. I have three Dobbs from the good old days, and they are all very well-made hats with lots of life left in them, and I think $25 was the most I paid for just one (and that came with the original box too!)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Felt quality and durability

Hi

I'm in the market for an outdoor hat for Fall, Winter, and early Spring in Kansas. I plan on getting a fur felt hat, the wool one I have won't stay in shape when wet. My question is what fur gets me the most bang for my buck? I hesitate to get a 100% beaver felt hat to wear outside in the rain and snow. What percentage beaver felt is the best for durability? Are Nutria or rabbit better options? I plan on a 6 inch crown and 3-4 inch brim Montana Peak if that matters. I would like to get a lighter brown or tan than most Campaign hats if that matters.

The hats I've found so far are Beaver Brand, Jaxonbilt, and Dirty Billy has a Nutria Blend Spanish American War hat. I have a Stratton 5.5 inch crown and 3.25 inch brim, which is how I know I'd like to get one slightly bigger.

Thanks

propp

New in Town
St.Ignatz said:
You can get the felt at some variety stores, send to TheFedoraStore or fabric/sewing stores. I just use a finger dipped in water for a controlled app and Lexol as a follow up.
Tom D.

I tried something more radical, combining info I read here and in other threads:
Reading that 1) hats seem to shrink over time 2) hats(felts) seem to take on/remember the shape which they dry 3) tips for drying a wet hat(from felt basics) I decided to take you advice one step further...regarding loose fit.
Being a decent cook, i know my stove-top defers heat out the burners and vents when the over is on..say..350 degrees. That escaping heat measures in at around 100-149 degrees, measured..the heat of a typical clothes dryer, by instead, stationary offset heat.
So I wet the sweatbaband on the loose hat inside and out, the lower felt near the band, turned he sweatband out, and set the hat atop the stovetop while the oven below was on 350...took about 90 minutes for drying time to shrink/tighten the leather sweatband, but it did work.
Any thoughts? Any recommendations for the sweatband now that it's been exposed to slow heat/shrinking/moisture? Leather moistureizers?
propp

danofarlington

1961MJS said:
Hi

I'm in the market for an outdoor hat for Fall, Winter, and early Spring in Kansas. I plan on getting a fur felt hat, the wool one I have won't stay in shape when wet. My question is what fur gets me the most bang for my buck? I hesitate to get a 100% beaver felt hat to wear outside in the rain and snow. What percentage beaver felt is the best for durability? Are Nutria or rabbit better options? I plan on a 6 inch crown and 3-4 inch brim Montana Peak if that matters. I would like to get a lighter brown or tan than most Campaign hats if that matters.

The hats I've found so far are Beaver Brand, Jaxonbilt, and Dirty Billy has a Nutria Blend Spanish American War hat. I have a Stratton 5.5 inch crown and 3.25 inch brim, which is how I know I'd like to get one slightly bigger.

Thanks
I've heard from someone who makes hats that beaver is definitely the best. But beaver hats are more expensive, and for something that stands up to the weather, people on the FL say that Akubras are really good. Akubras are rabbit fur as I understand it, made in Australia. They sound like the most durable weather fedoras with any style, aside from paying a lot for a beaver hat. They carry a number of lihes through several retailers.

Q: Optimo

I got an Optimo today, it was one of the many 7-5/8's that was listed recently on the bay. Said to be in perfect condition, but the liner has staining.:mad:

My question is did anyone ever clean one of Grahams liners; will the printed Optimo hat logo in the crest hold up, or can it fade or wash out?

Thanks

charlesb303

New in Town
Help with a Stetson hat

I hope someone here can help me. I own a few hats and two happen to be Stetsons. One I have owned for over 30 years and fits like a glove and has since I bought it new. The second is also a Steston and the same style hat but has a bit of A wider brim and it a wee bit taller in the crown and was bough for me by my brother after he looked in my old Stetson and got the size from it. It was a used hat but was never worn by the first owner and still had all the tags and slip that comes with new hats. It even had the original box. Now the question is this. The hat is a Stetson Black Stallion Blackhawk and was made to fit a round head shape and I have an oval. I own a few fedoras also but they all fit and never had to look for hat repair in Denver (I did and found none but a few who custom build hats and they couldn't help me) and one out of state hat cleaner told me it can be made to fit by taking out the wire under the inner band and replacing it an oval. The only thing wrong with that is I am sure there isn't any wire under the sweatband, I looked at how Stetson made hats and they don't use that method, it's shaped on different forms at the factory and then coated to make them stiff to hold the shape. Can this hat be made to fit me and does anyone know who in my area (Denver, CO) can help me with this. I'll appreciate any help at all.

danofarlington

charlesb303 said:
I hope someone here can help me. I own a few hats and two happen to be Stetsons. One I have owned for over 30 years and fits like a glove and has since I bought it new. The second is also a Steston and the same style hat but has a bit of A wider brim and it a wee bit taller in the crown and was bough for me by my brother after he looked in my old Stetson and got the size from it. It was a used hat but was never worn by the first owner and still had all the tags and slip that comes with new hats. It even had the original box. Now the question is this. The hat is a Stetson Black Stallion Blackhawk and was made to fit a round head shape and I have an oval. I own a few fedoras also but they all fit and never had to look for hat repair in Denver (I did and found none but a few who custom build hats and they couldn't help me) and one out of state hat cleaner told me it can be made to fit by taking out the wire under the inner band and replacing it an oval. The only thing wrong with that is I am sure there isn't any wire under the sweatband, I looked at how Stetson made hats and they don't use that method, it's shaped on different forms at the factory and then coated to make them stiff to hold the shape. Can this hat be made to fit me and does anyone know who in my area (Denver, CO) can help me with this. I'll appreciate any help at all.
I don't know how to deal with your problem, but IMHO you should check out Greeley Hat Works. 2613 8th Ave, Greeley, CO 80631-8411, (970) 353-7300. Ask for Jay. They did modifications and repair to four of my hats over the summer, and know what they are doing. The work was excellent. By the way, I don't mean that you have to travel to Greeley. You can access these shops by post, which is the most convenient thing. They are so few and far between that it's impractical in most cases to go to the shop personally. If you send the hat by post, talk to Jay about how to pack it so the shape doesn't get crushed by the packing material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou