Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
But the chart in that link has some serious errors.
It says that anything from 21 7/8" to 24 5/8" is an American size 7.
The inches to metric seems to be OK

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
A tape is the best way to go. But in a pinch you can use a piece of string. Measure your skull with the string and compare that against a yard stick. ;)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What's a Buckaroo Hat

Hi

I was looking at several custom cowboy hat sites and one had a section of "Buckaroo hats".

http://www.northvalleyhatco.com/buckaroohats.html

O.K., I know what they look like now. They look to me like the original "Boss of the Plains" type of Stetson that was the basis of the company. So, what's the basis of the name "Buckaroo Hat"? I found the name several places, but nothing on why? I DO understand where Homburg came from, Derby, etc. I also understand that this isn't the cowboy forum. lol

Thanks, just curious

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
This is not strictly a Golden Era question, but I can’t think of a better place to ask: Why do so many communities have streets named Euclid? Was the mathematician that greatly admired, or is there another source for the name?

-Dave

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Mr Vim said:
does anyone have any navy or similar colored hats they wear? What colors do you wear it with? I'm curious to buy a fedora in that color but unsure.
I have a Stetson Saxon in the color midnight.I wear it with a navy Ralph Lauren suit.

1961MJS said:
Hi

I was looking at several custom cowboy hat sites and one had a section of "Buckaroo hats".

http://www.northvalleyhatco.com/buckaroohats.html

O.K., I know what they look like now. They look to me like the original "Boss of the Plains" type of Stetson that was the basis of the company. So, what's the basis of the name "Buckaroo Hat"? I found the name several places, but nothing on why? I DO understand where Homburg came from, Derby, etc. I also understand that this isn't the cowboy forum. lol

Thanks, just curious
The hat has a vacquero style to it mainly because a Buckaroo is a cowboy of the vaquero tradition of the Great Basin and California region.

Chinaski

One Too Many
hatophile said:
Buckaroo is really the English corruption of vaquero, hence a buckaroo hat is a vaquero or cowboy hat. I like some of the styles on that website, the prices look fairly reasobable.

Hey, that actually seems to make sense. I've never heard this etymology before. Thanks for posting...

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Just curious, does anyone know of a modern production hat that fits these specifications?

ca. 2.5inch brim, bound.
Large, full crown suitable for a deep crease
Wide ribbon.

I can't afford to buy more hats, but this would be what I would want, and unfortnately it doesn't appear to be one of Akubra's offerings (although, a Federation without the dimensional brim, and with binding would be fantastic).

If I ever have the money, I will probably go vintage, but I was curious if there was anything out there, aside from custom, that fit this.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Except for the bound brim, the Stetson Nostalgia seems to be what you're looking for.

I quick look-through has not produced better results (except for maybe some kind of Borsalino or Custom).

I'd say, whenever you've got some cash to spend on hats, you ought to try vintage. Hell, that Open Road worked out wonderfully for you! :eusa_clap

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Irish4 said:
One of the sug. to keep the hat looking so high up on my melon was to try a bigger size,ok cool,I get it,but if the hat I have is a size 7,and my measurement is 22 1/8,this falls into the Med. category in the size chart.so how do you get a hat that is a size bigger?:rolleyes:

Wow, I cant believe that its taken me all this time to even look in this thread. Great stuff!

As to your question, Irish, the problem is the S,M,L sizing. Without a number, the manufacturers are only approximating the true number size, and a L, for instance, fills a (small) range of number sizes.

Not even number sizes are always completely accurate. They can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and sometimes within the same manufacturer from model to model, and even more rarely between specific examples of the same models.

I think the first step is to look into hats that have number sizes. These are are a step up from the S,M,L hats, which I have a few of, too. I bought them many years ago before the interwebs when you had to actually go into a store and try one on. :)

Also, as you probably already know, if you go custom, you can get a hat that feels like it was literally made for your head . . . because it WAS! :D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
result of removing brim binding?

I have a number of (vintage) hats with bound brims. They are all snap brims. I don’t particularly care for snap-brims, but I liked the hats when I bought them. So here is my question:

If I were to remove the binding, would the edge of the brim relax enough for a hat like this to no longer be a snap brim? Or will the brim just go all fushimmeled without the support of the binding?

Im not sure I want to try this on a vintage hat simply because it is vintage even though I don’t care for them with their present brim characteristics. But I’d still like to know. Maybe I’ll pick one hat to experiment on.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
scottyrocks said:
I have a number of (vintage) hats with bound brims. They are all snap brims. I don’t particularly care for snap-brims, but I liked the hats when I bought them. So here is my question:

If I were to remove the binding, would the edge of the brim relax enough for a hat like this to no longer be a snap brim? Or will the brim just go all fushimmeled without the support of the binding?

Im not sure I want to try this on a vintage hat simply because it is vintage even though I don’t care for them with their present brim characteristics. But I’d still like to know. Maybe I’ll pick one hat to experiment on.

What shape do you want the brims to be?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Can anyone direct me to pictures of vintage Akubra hats? By that I mean from the 40s or earlier. Are any posted here on the Lounge?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff