Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have used the cardboard from a legal pad back and cut it into 1 1/2 inch width longways. It is firm but flexible. It does push the liver inward and wrinkle it. I will fold the sweatbad over it an then push it towards the sweatband stitching. It stays put. If I have ovality issues I put two 8 inch long strips on sides nd it takes in the extra size on sides and the head opening is more elongated.

Anyone like checkered hats? I'm thinking of a cap with blue/black large checkered patter. I have a gray beard and S&P hair. Thoughts?
It might help if you posted a photo or two of the cap in question, just so we have a better idea of what it actually looks like. A photo of you wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Many of us often get concerned on some level about whether or not a particular hat or cap is "right" for us, but the reality is that most people we encounter really don't care. Even here on The Lounge where we can become fanatical over hats, it's very rare to see anyone comment negatively about another member's attire. That being said, what we think doesn't really matter--if you like the cap, get it and wear it. Simple as that.

RJR

It might help if you posted a photo or two of the cap in question, just so we have a better idea of what it actually looks like. A photo of you wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Many of us often get concerned on some level about whether or not a particular hat or cap is "right" for us, but the reality is that most people we encounter really don't care. Even here on The Lounge where we can become fanatical over hats, it's very rare to see anyone comment negatively about another member's attire. That being said, what we think doesn't really matter--if you like the cap, get it and wear it. Simple as that.
+1

John the Swede

Familiar Face
Anyone know of a flat cap that has a small back (most have a back that goes down on your head a bit), almost flat all the way round, like a beret?

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
Is there a thread on stretching hats? I'm trying to restore a 7-1/8 beaver felt hat that shrunk down to a 7 after it got completely soaked.
Can't find anything when using the search but it's been known to withhold good threads in the past.

Anyone like checkered hats? I'm thinking of a cap with blue/black large checkered patter. I have a gray beard and S&P hair. Thoughts?
I have a few Harris Tweed caps. Some are herringbone, others are houndstooth, and two are possibly closer to what you are calling a checkered pattern. They are warm and great for active living. Brimmed hats are not conducive to convertibles or sporting applications. Shooting in particular is best served by caps (sorry Gun Club owners). I'm usually the only one, but I sometimes wear breeks, sock garters, and a Norfolk jacket complete with wool tie. I'll admit it's a bit over the top, but everyone should play lord of the manner at some point. When so attired and shooting/hunting you really need a cap and not a brimmed hat.

More than you were looking for? As you can probably tell my tastes run to vintage period correct. I'll admit that brimmed hats, mostly fedoras, get the most wear, but caps will always have their place. Solid colored caps are alright, but those with a pattern of some sort get my vote.

John the Swede

Familiar Face
Is there a thread on stretching hats? I'm trying to restore a 7-1/8 beaver felt hat that shrunk down to a 7 after it got completely soaked.
Can't find anything when using the search but it's been known to withhold good threads in the past.

Simply buy a hat stretcher for 20 bucks at your local hatterie or online--see Country Pant Stretcher on Amazon, for example--and follow the instructions.

This works for size.If it has tapered or otherwise deformed it will probably require a reblock.
I concur. Sometimes stretching a hat will turn the brim wonky as well. If this hat is special to you, a keeper, you might want to consider sending it out to a hatter for a reblock. If you keep the size of the box as small as possible the postage is very reasonable. I use Mike at NW Hats in Eugene. His price is very reasonable and he does great work. Then when you get the hat back pick up a hat jack, adjust it to your size them slip it into the hat whenever it is not on your head. It will guarantee the fit.

John the Swede

Familiar Face
I agree with these sentiments and have a love/hate relationship w/ my stretcher. On the one hand, I can stretch a Tilley cotton duck, since I don't need to worry about the brim, but I can't stretch certain fedoras, as it will either change the brim or make it go down further than it should. Ymmv. I now buy my hats a touch over size, which seems to work best for me.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
stretching a fedora is thin ice
tread lightly and slowly ... use steam generously at the break and on the brim
I recommend experimenting on a hat you wouldn't mind ruining first ... there is a bit of an art to it if you want unnoticeable results

what I mean by that is ... if the hat is a thin ribbon you can often see where the sweatband made an impression from the inside of the felt on a poorly stretched hat ... that is permanent... a wide ribbon can cover the impression but it is still noticeable to the trained eye.
... also a poor stretch will make the brim wonky which is not fixable without a flange... also will take the sharpness out of the break.
pooping threads and reeds is also common.

9 times out of 10 I can spot a stretched hat from a mile away

just be careful

Last edited:
I know you're a hat geek, but

are you eating them now, too?

@moontheloon
It happens...
1965-lucky-strike-cigarettes-ad-eat-my-hat.jpg

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
I really appreciate your advice about the hat stretching. It is a 1983 Christy's Lincona fedora that I'm very attached to and it would break my heart if I messed it up stretching it. I'm going to try to find a decent hatter in Canada (Henri Henri in Montreal is a good hat shop but their hat care workers are worthless, I've had bad experiences sending them hats for repair and shaping in the past).

Can some of you with recent experience tell me what price I'm looking at to get my hat professionally stretched? And does a stretch job include anything else, like re-blocking, re-shaping the crown and cleaning or would those all be extra? Should I give my hat a naptha bath prior to sending it in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou