Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antinomy

Familiar Face
there are so many different types of quality in FEPSA

without beer you can not understand

Attachments

• sss.png
    sss.png
    211.8 KB · Views: 127

hbenthow

Familiar Face
I measured my head with a measuring tape, and the result was 57 cm. On most charts, that puts me at a size 7 1/8. But would it be wiser for me to buy 7 1/4 hats, in case of shrinkage or other variables?

Last edited:
I measured my head with a measuring tape, and the result was 58 cm. On most charts, that puts me at a size 7 1/8. But would it be wiser for me to buy 7 1/4 hats, in case of shrinkage or other variables?
A 58mm measure would put you as a 7 1/4". I am a 59mm and a solid 7 3/8". I have not experienced any shrinkage with any of my hats but then I am not a heavy sweat producer.

hbenthow

Familiar Face
A 58mm measure would put you as a 7 1/4".

I just measured again, and I had misremembered. I measured at 57 cm, not 58. 57 cm is 7 1/8 on most charts.

I'm a Mississippian, so I sweat a fair bit. Also, I'm not sure whether this would affect shrinkage, but I use Groom & Clean (a lanolin-based product) in my hair.

I just measured again, and I had misremembered. I measured at 57 cm, not 58. 57 cm is 7 1/8 on most charts.

I'm a Mississippian, so I sweat a fair bit. Also, I'm not sure whether this would affect shrinkage, but I use Groom & Clean (a lanolin-based product) in my hair.
Okay, that now seems right. I have not had shrinkage problems with my hats, multiple manufacturers and hats. But a number of members on the Lounge report shrinkage so it can be a conundrum esp if you are ordering on line and wont have the opportunity to try the hat on your head. I do use hat stretchers on my hats that are a little snug, not really to stretch them but just to keep them to size when not being worn. For $20 it is a good investment.

hbenthow

Familiar Face
I do use hat stretchers on my hats that are a little snug, not really to stretch them but just to keep them to size when not being worn. For $20 it is a good investment.

Do you believe, then, that it would be best to get a 7 1/8, then use a hat stretcher if I encounter any problems?

Do you believe, then, that it would be best to get a 7 1/8, then use a hat stretcher if I encounter any problems?
That has been my experience. I buy the hat that fits me and use a hat jack to keep it sized right. Hat Jacks give or hold a natural oval shape that suit my head shape very well. So have it adjusted to fit the hat and then just pop it in the hat when it is not on my head.

hbenthow

Familiar Face
That has been my experience. I buy the hat that fits me and use a hat jack to keep it sized right. Hat Jacks give or hold a natural oval shape that suit my head shape very well. So have it adjusted to fit the hat and then just pop it in the hat when it is not on my head.

I see. Thank you for the advice.

RJR

I use the same method.

msoliday

One of the Regulars
Hi guys, any idea of the age of this Stetson Special? 40s? Late '30s?

e4da91f399c5c07371d50fd3979ff322.jpg
6de79c20296ab4bf890f1e0f4319321a.jpg

My wife sent me these pics today. She saw the hat in an antique store. No size tag but I like the price for a refurb if it fits... which I highly doubt, but you never know. I'll call the store for some measurements tomorrow. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys, any idea of the age of this Stetson Special? 40s? Late '30s?

e4da91f399c5c07371d50fd3979ff322.jpg
6de79c20296ab4bf890f1e0f4319321a.jpg

My wife sent me these pics today. She saw the hat in an antique store. No size tag but I like the price for a refurb if it fits... which I highly doubt, but you never know. I'll call the store for some measurements tomorrow. Thanks!

Kind of a diamond in the rough, real rough. Great price for fixer upper practice.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

The sweatband drying out is what causes shrinkage.
The salt from your perspiration will eventually draw the moisture from the leather though good quality hats will have a better sweatband that will last longer...
just wipe the sweatband when you take the hat off ... if your hat is of good quality this is not something to worry about much.
... and groom & clean will pretty much destroy any liner ... or at the very least turn it blue

hbenthow

Familiar Face
... and groom & clean will pretty much destroy any liner ... or at the very least turn it blue

By "destroy", do you mean purely cosmetic damage limited to the interior lining, or something that could negatively affect the usability of the hat? Is it a matter of much concern overall?

Also, what is the best hair product to use when wearing hats? If Groom & Clean has a detrimental effect, I would assume that Brylcreem and Wildroot Cream Oil do as well. Is there some other product (such as a pomade) that provides better hold than a mere hair tonic, but is kind on hat linings?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
hbenthow said:
I measured my head with a measuring tape, and the result was 57 cm. On most charts, that puts me at a size 7 1/8. But would it be wiser for me to buy 7 1/4 hats, in case of shrinkage or other variables?

It can depend on the hat. I've ordered and bought many hats in my size, and they don't all fit the same out of the box, or shrink the same after wear. Most don't shrink much, if at all. For me, ordering one full size up is a no-no.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
By "destroy", do you mean purely cosmetic damage limited to the interior lining, or something that could negatively affect the usability of the hat? Is it a matter of much concern overall?

Also, what is the best hair product to use when wearing hats? If Groom & Clean has a detrimental effect, I would assume that Brylcreem and Wildroot Cream Oil do as well. Is there some other product (such as a pomade) that provides better hold than a mere hair tonic, but is kind on hat linings?

“Destroy” was dramatic ... it will stain and discolor the liner.
I believe any hair product will do the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn