Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Ok, not a fedora, per se--wrong choice of term. It's a BC hat, Australian leather. Sorry about the snafu on the name. Question still exists: Do these hats shrink or stretch? Thanks.

From experience, it depends on the leather. Softer leathers are more likely to shrink, especially from heat but if any leather hat is exposed to extreme heat such as being left in a car in the summer heat, it will shrink beyond repair. I had a BC stockman which was very stable, being made from thick split-leather, it was just marginally smaller (hardly noticible) when cold but returned to it's normal state after being worn it for a few minutes. Aussi leather hats are notorious for running small so it's best not to refer to their size charts but get the next size up from your normal hat size. In answer to your question; I'd say if you get a BC hat that fits you from the start, you don't have to worry about it shrinking.

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Do cows shrink when they're left out in the rain?

Yes, the cow on the left was left out in the rain.
BT%20Hereford%20Cow%20Calf.JPG

That wasn't lightning. That was an alien abduction.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
No joke...In over 20 yrs I only know of 3 mutilations. We've never experienced anything like that with our's. Last one was about 4-5 yrs ago in the CO-OP pasture we are in now. The DVM who was called out told LE that no way was it caused by predators. ???? We've lost 2-3 to lightening, 1 to a fallen tree limb during an ice storm.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
No joke...In over 20 yrs I only know of 3 mutilations. We've never experienced anything like that with our's. Last one was about 4-5 yrs ago in the CO-OP pasture we are in now. The DVM who was called out told LE that no way was it caused by predators. ???? We've lost 2-3 to lightening, 1 to a fallen tree limb during an ice storm.
We had one get stuck in the mud and he froze to death overnight. Very sad.

Robert Matthew Boyd

New in Town
This seems to work on other sites, so I figure that it deserves a shot here.

If you've got a quick hat question and don't see a thread for it, just post it here. Whether the question is about cleaning, anatomy of a hat, brands, etc., this is the place.

Here's one to break the ice.
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCards.jpg
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCardsback.jpg

Robert Matthew Boyd

New in Town
I'm not sure if this is where I ask these kinds of questions, but I'm running out of ideas! I found a Stetson Millenium straw cowboy hat in storage and can't find any others like it anywhere. If anyone has any information that can help, it would be greatly appreciated! It is a Straw 500x El Melinio. In excellent condition.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure if this is where I ask these kinds of questions, but I'm running out of ideas! I found a Stetson Millenium straw cowboy hat in storage and can't find any others like it anywhere. If anyone has any information that can help, it would be greatly appreciated! It is a Straw 500x El Melinio. In excellent condition.
Pictures would help. Is it really straw or is it a Paper "straw" like Shantung?

You can get ideas of current prices by looking on ebay and other online auction sites.

I have not heard of El Melinio...

https://www.starrwesternwear.com/english/stetson-500x-el-premio-straw-hat.html

John the Swede

Familiar Face
I've got a Country Gentleman wool felt hat and was reshaping it, so spraying it with H2O, and now the top of it smells a little...pungent, it's sweetish, or something that's hard to say--it's not bad but a little strong and weird, since the hat's brand new. Inside doesn't appear to smell at all. Any ideas on the smellage? (I know, it least it doesn't reek--but this is close, too perfumey...and..it's new, for God's sake).

I've got a Country Gentleman wool felt hat and was reshaping it, so spraying it with H2O, and now the top of it smells a little...fruity, or sweetish, or something that's hard to say--it's not bad but weird, since the hat's brand new. Inside doesn't appear to smell at all. Any ideas on the smellage?
Be happy it doesn't smell like a wet sheep? :D

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, but this smells pretty strong--and bad enough. What the h$ll could it be??
It could be a hat stiffener or some other chemical they treat the wool hats with. I suppose it could be wax from the wool, aka lanolin, which can have a bit of a sweet smell to it... but I thought they processed that out of the wool while processing it.???

John the Swede

Familiar Face
It could be a hat stiffener or some other chemical they treat the wool hats with. I suppose it could be wax from the wool, aka lanolin, which can have a bit of a sweet smell to it... but I thought they processed that out of the wool while processing it.???

That was my initial thought, too--maybe some treatment. It does read "waterproof," so perhaps the waterproofing chemicals? Didn't smell before I wetted it, so...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails