Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
There is no such thing as a leather fedora

A fedora by definition is a soft felt hat
At some point in the history of hats someone somewhere may have tried to make a Fedora-shaped hat out of leather, but that would certainly be the exception rather than the rule. A quick Google image search for "leather Fedora" yields a number of hats, but they're actually Trilby's, Pork Pies, and/or Outback/Safari hats; no leather Fedoras.

At some point in the history of hats someone somewhere may have tried to make a Fedora-shaped hat out of leather, but that would certainly be the exception rather than the rule. A quick Google image search for "leather Fedora" yields a number of hats, but they're actually Trilby's, Pork Pies, and/or Outback/Safari hats; no leather Fedoras.
Hard to picture a leather snap brim too. As for the trilby inclusion, let's not get into the trilby vs stingy brim fedora argument. I've have my fill of semantics tonight. After a moments thought, I'm certain someone has made a leather "fedora." Heck, my wife's maternal grandfather made a coat out of gopher hides he trapped and tanned. Yup, it's all been done.

John the Swede

Familiar Face
There is no such thing as a leather fedora

That's like saying beef pork chop ... it doesn't exists
Ok, not a fedora, per se--wrong choice of term. It's a BC hat, Australian leather. Sorry about the snafu on the name. Question still exists: Do these hats shrink or stretch? Thanks.

RJR

Hat-Rogue Rough Out Leather.jpg
This one is a Rogue;It hasn't been worn much but it seems to "conform" as its in use.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Although technically BC does call it a "Leather fedora":

https://connerhats.com/products/bc-streetwise-leather-fedora
You might ask the seller/maker about the tendency to shrink. You should be able to waterproof the leather with a non-staining leather conditioner/sealer.

I just ordered some Pecard for my leather sweat bands, but they sell lots of different products including some waterproofing dressings for black, brown, etc:

https://www.pecard.com/product/weather-proof-leather-brown/

You might ask the seller/maker about the tendency to shrink. You should be able to waterproof the leather with a non-staining leather conditioner/sealer.

I just ordered some Pecard for my leather sweat bands, but they sell lots of different products including some waterproofing dressings for black, brown, etc:

https://www.pecard.com/product/weather-proof-leather-brown/

Do cows shrink when they're left out in the rain?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

GREG M

New in Town
My liner has become detached from the hat. Any recommendations on how to repair it. There is a nearby Goorin Brothers hat shop but I haven't had time to take it in for them to look at it.
Is this an easy repair? Could I do it?

GREG M

New in Town
Definitely an easy fix. I've got liners that aren't attached to anything, just tucked in thr sweatband snugly.
That's what I've been doing since it came unglued but it's very annoying that it comes out all the time. I'd like suggestions on how best to re-glue it.

Thanks ~

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I have a lighter weight felt hat, a custom, that I had made with a removable liner. No glue, no stitches. It just sits there, tucked up under the sweat band. If it's cooler, I leave it in. If it's warmer, I take it out.

You can look for some seamstress or millinery 2-sided cloth tape and use that. I did that on one hat. But honestly, after I did it once I've never used it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner