Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I had a Norm Thompson wool hat. It was never really a hat I liked a lot but I'd grab it in rainy weather. I don't recall any bad smells, but made the mistake of throwing it on a chair after it got soaked in the rain... and then a coat and other stuff got thrown on top of that. When I found it days later, it was a mess!

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I've got a Country Gentleman wool felt hat and was reshaping it, so spraying it with H2O, and now the top of it smells a little...pungent, it's sweetish, or something that's hard to say--it's not bad but a little strong and weird, since the hat's brand new. Inside doesn't appear to smell at all. Any ideas on the smellage? (I know, it least it doesn't reek--but this is close, too perfumey...and..it's new, for God's sake).

Wool felt has a very distinctive perfume when wet or being steamed & is as you say, sweet. I much prefer it to damp fur felt. The smell should go away or at least diminish, when it's perfectly dry. In any case, once you start wearing it for real, it'll take on other odors. :D

John the Swede

Familiar Face
Wool felt has a very distinctive perfume when wet or being steamed & is as you say, sweet. I much prefer it to damp fur felt. The smell should go away or at least diminish, when it's perfectly dry. In any case, once you start wearing it for real, it'll take on other odors. :D

Well, that's good to know. Thanks. At least I know it's not my particular hat. And you are right: I guess it's not as bad as, say, what I remember from my wet boar shaving brush.:D

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anybody use one of these? Is it worth having?

2554EA4B-57E8-47A0-A6F5-C5A88EB4268B.png

Jhoff_1979

One of the Regulars
Hello friends. Question for you all.

Does anyone here own or have seen the Stetson DeeCee?

The reason I ask was I wandered in to a men's clothing store today and they had a few Dobbs models and Stetson DeeCee models.

I picked it up. Unlined and thin but not cheap looking or feeling in my opinion. It also had ventilated diamond shapes on each side.

I really dug the camel color and considered making a purchase but figured I would throw it out here for all the experts first. It looks good.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello friends. Question for you all.

Does anyone here own or have seen the Stetson DeeCee?

The reason I ask was I wandered in to a men's clothing store today and they had a few Dobbs models and Stetson DeeCee models.

I picked it up. Unlined and thin but not cheap looking or feeling in my opinion. It also had ventilated diamond shapes on each side.

I really dug the camel color and considered making a purchase but figured I would throw it out here for all the experts first. It looks good.

Thanks in advance.

If I remember right it's a wool hat.

Antinomy

Familiar Face
Hello friends!
Which different betweеn 100% fur, fur and hare, Fur and wool, 100% hare? Which better? And why i dont see the beaver felt on FEPSA web site?

Antinomy

Familiar Face
Unless it says beaver or wool, it's most often hare or rabbit. 'Fur' most often means wabbit, as beaver hats are trumpeted as beaver. Wool is not fur.

Beaver is best, wabbit next, and wool below that.

Thank you! I'm understand that the beaver - is the best, and fur the next.

But on FEPSA web site 100% fur and 100% hare or "fur and hare" in differnt catigory, why?

And where is the beaver?))

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Thank you! I'm understand that the beaver - is the best, and fur the next.

But on FEPSA web site 100% fur and 100% hare or "fur and hare" in differnt catigory, why?

And where is the beaver?))
FEPSA lowest beaver quality is the 10X. 100X is a 100% beaver felt.
Are you browsing the FEPSA online store?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Yes i'm browsing FEPSA store
I've tried several times for FEPSA to explain me what are the differences between the felt qualities since they have so many but it's very hard to get a good answer.
The best I was able to get is that the 100% beaver is the 100X.
The qualities LSX / LS / 10x / 20x / 40x / 50x / 60x / 70x / 80x have a beaver+rabbit mix.
Merino is 100% wool.
Mescla is a mix of wool and rabbit.
1x-9x(?) are 100% rabbit.

Antinomy

Familiar Face
I've tried several times for FEPSA to explain me what are the differences between the felt qualities since they have so many but it's very hard to get a good answer.
The best I was able to get is that the 100% beaver is the 100X.
The qualities LSX / LS / 10x / 20x / 40x / 50x / 60x / 70x / 80x have a beaver+rabbit mix.
Merino is 100% wool.
Mescla is a mix of wool and rabbit.
1x-9x(?) are 100% rabbit.

Its really hard))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn