Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Buy it if you like it. There's nothing about the etsy page that sticks out as an obvious red flag. OTOH, the tacking stitches are somewhat obvious and I'm feeling like the pounce job looks a bit rough, but that's not always easy to tell from pictures. And I wear hats with obvious tacking stitches all the time, including the Hatco Stetson in my avatar, so far be it for me to throw stones in my glass house over here.

They make a lot of wool hats and seem to default to a faux leather sweatband. That's not exactly screaming out that they're a diamond in the rough in terms of of the price/quality ratio.

But it's a good price for a handsome hat.

Everyone here is just waiting to see what you get to decide if they want one or not. Somebody always has to go first. This is not the place to be if one wants to be talked out of a hat purchase.

I wasn't looking to be talked out of the purchase, but I was hoping some experienced eyes might give it a critical look and offer opinions. Better yet, I was hoping someone had already blazed this trail and they could give a first-hand review.

I'll be the guinea pig. I'm interested to see how long delivery will take and what the quality is like. Their beaver hats don't sound like a bargain at all, but the rabbit....?

I'll post photos when it arrives.

Buy it if you like it. There's nothing about the etsy page that sticks out as an obvious red flag. OTOH, the tacking stitches are somewhat obvious and I'm feeling like the pounce job looks a bit rough, but that's not always easy to tell from pictures. And I wear hats with obvious tacking stitches all the time, including the Hatco Stetson in my avatar, so far be it for me to throw stones in my glass house over here.

They make a lot of wool hats and seem to default to a faux leather sweatband. That's not exactly screaming out that they're a diamond in the rough in terms of of the price/quality ratio.

But it's a good price for a handsome hat.

Thanks. That's just about what I was thinking.

Nomenclature or hat taxonomy is not my issue. We can call it a pencil roll/curl brim Playboy ribbon western Lords Greek pseudo-homburg.

Have you ever held one or otherwise been able to come to any determination on its quality? Agnoulita is a brand I just don't know anything about. It's pretty cheap, but I'd rather not throw away $130 if it can be avoided. I'm thinking I'll take the gamble unless someone talks me out of it.
Being in Europe I am thinking the felts are either Fepsa or Tonak. I have a few of each and are great felts. Thinking of rolling the dice on one. Sent an email asking the origin of his felts. We'll wait and see what the answer is.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Being in Europe I am thinking the felts are either Fepsa or Tonak. I have a few of each and are great felts. Thinking of rolling the dice on one. Sent an email asking the origin of his felts. We'll wait and see what the answer is.

Seems reasonable. I was thinking the same but leaning towards Tonak based on the velour finish offerings.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
@deadlyhandsome I think I'd put the $10 in for the goat skin sweat , but it looks like a good buy to me . If its not exactly what you'd wear once it comes you can adjust and modify to suit you . At the very least it would make a nice Hat and you'll know what they produce quality wise . According to the ones I've seen Miller Brothers has some good Hats . I think Biltmore makes them , but I'm not sure .

Qrowin

Familiar Face
It's amazing how many "needs" I have when it comes to hats. My wife thinks that 80% of them all look the same. Unfortunately, hats are not my only vice. My shoe and boot collection is north of 100 and my wife just shakes her head when a new pair arrives. Bless her heart.

My wife is the same. I put a new bash into my Fed IV and she says "you spent all that time and it looks excatly the same". At least she now knows how i feel everytime she looks at a polkadot dress.

@deadlyhandsome I think I'd put the $10 in for the goat skin sweat , but it looks like a good buy to me . If its not exactly what you'd wear once it comes you can adjust and modify to suit you . At the very least it would make a nice Hat and you'll know what they produce quality wise . According to the ones I've seen Miller Brothers has some good Hats . I think Biltmore makes them , but I'm not sure .
I have a Miller Hat and it is made by Biltmore. Decent hat bought for a great price on the Bay. Miller Bros I think are a different company that makes Western hats. I have one of those converted to a fedora. An okay hat, nothing special to the felt.

I placed the order. For me, it was a no-brainer to upgrade to the leather sweat. We'll see.

Now comes the waiting. I hate waiting.

I wasn't looking to be talked out of the purchase, but I was hoping some experienced eyes might give it a critical look and offer opinions. Better yet, I was hoping someone had already blazed this trail and they could give a first-hand review.

I'll be the guinea pig. I'm interested to see how long delivery will take and what the quality is like. Their beaver hats don't sound like a bargain at all, but the rabbit....?

I'll post photos when it arrives.
I have begun a conversation with Mr Pappa about ordering a Hommie. He advised he uses both Fepsa and Tonak. Asking him about a Hommie in a Dark Moss and if he offers a Fepsa beaver/rabbit blend. Thinking if I go with a dark ribbon the tacky ribbon stitches wont show as much. (Its a thing with me!)

I have begun a conversation with Mr Pappa about ordering a Hommie. He advised he uses both Fepsa and Tonak. Asking him about a Hommie in a Dark Moss and if he offers a Fepsa beaver/rabbit blend. Thinking if I go with a dark ribbon the tacky ribbon stitches wont show as much. (Its a thing with me!)

Let me know how this works out. I'm still looking for a black and a chocolate brown homburg. I want vintage Stetson St Regis hommies to match the grey I already have, but my 7 5/8 to 7 3/4 size requirement makes finding them a tough job.

If you like the homburg your get from Mr. Papa maybe I'll go the new route.

chum

Familiar Face
I need to remove the liner from my Federation IV for cleaning. I see that it is tacked in place with glue. What glue should I use for reinstalling? Also, any tips on this procedure would be appreciated. I took the liner out on another Fedora and never could get it back in right. Since it was a cheaper hat, I just left it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy