Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I can only speak for myself. I am not comfortable with self promotion. I tend to not smile for any pictures - especially a selfie.
It is also an example of cultural differences around the world. The last time I went in to get my drivers’s liscence renewed here in CA. the kind public servent said “now smile”.
I lived in Mexico for a spell and when I went for the photo for my visa I kept a very straight face. From what my friends told me, no one smiles for official photos. They said they thought it makes you seem a bit crazy.
You also see that a lot here in the USA in older family portraits. No one is smiling. Different places, different times I guess.

It is also an example of cultural differences around the world. The last time I went in to get my drivers’s liscence renewed here in CA. the kind public servent said “now smile”.
I lived in Mexico for a spell and when I went for the photo for my visa I kept a very straight face. From what my friends told me, no one smiles for official photos. They said they thought it makes you seem a bit crazy.
You also see that a lot here in the USA in older family portraits. No one is smiling. Different places, different times I guess.
Earlier this year I had to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles to have an updated photo taken for my driver license, and was surprised when the young lady said, "Okay, smile!" For years I was instructed not to smile for "official" photos, and was told by several sources that this was due to the advent of facial recognition software--if you smiled, the software was unable to accurately assess and define you facial features. Even as recently as a couple of years ago I was instructed not to smile when I had to update my passport photo. I can only guess their software has become more sophisticated in the last year or so and they've overcome that hurdle. *shrug*

Smiling for photographs largely began in the early-1900s. One source states Kodak promoted the concept in their marketing when they created the Brownie camera, which made photography a much more "casual" affair, and used examples of people smiling to show how happy they were to have an "easy to use" camera. Now it's so common that it seems odd to me when people don't smile when having a photo taken.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Anyone know where I can find a plastic conformateur/conformer kit??
Hello Christopher. You might try contacting Art Fawcett. I believe he uses the plastic conformateur for his custom hats and I seem to recall that he mentioned B&L Products as a source. Many years ago I became frustrated with my own search for an affordable conformateur and finally ended up making one from flat wooden clothespins. I lovingly refer to it as the "Wheel of Pain".
IMG_1871.JPG

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Looks promising. Not a porkpie, but probably could aspire to that look. The owner probably took the liner out to make it lighter for spring/summer wear. It will be interesting to see what lies under that sweat.
I know its not a porker very curious about brim size. May be a nice get for 60

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
No chance its wool. Its common for ppl to mislabel hats who arent familiar with them

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Definitely not wool, Royal Deluxe will always be fur felt. Looks like a Maple Leaf instead of stars in logo so after 50, other than that you'll need to see and feel the quality of the felt and the sweat and, most importantly, the manufacturer's label.

ChristopherJay

New in Town
Hello Christopher. You might try contacting Art Fawcett. I believe he uses the plastic conformateur for his custom hats and I seem to recall that he mentioned B&L Products as a source. Many years ago I became frustrated with my own search for an affordable conformateur and finally ended up making one from flat wooden clothespins. I lovingly refer to it as the "Wheel of Pain". View attachment 97412

Thanks you so much for the reply! I’ll definitely be giving Art a call very soon. But your “Wheel of Pain” is a beauty! My father owns a lumber yard and my whole family works with wood so I can truly appreciate the are your craftsmanship. My brother and I made a few blocks, but coming up with a design for a conformateur has alluded us. Any chance you’d be up for sharing a few tips??

Thanks again!

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
With today's additional 30% off is $153 too much to ask for a new Stetson? The fur felt silver belly Stetson R Wood is made for Hats in the Belfry www.hatsinthebelfry.com/product/stetson-r-wood.html and was originally $229. I love the silver belly color and have been pining over one for past few weeks. Also wanting a silver belly in a top quality hat. Any opinions out there? Thanks.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
With today's additional 30% off is $153 too much to ask for a new Stetson? The fur felt silver belly Stetson R Wood is made for Hats in the Belfry www.hatsinthebelfry.com/product/stetson-r-wood.html and was originally $229. I love the silver belly color and have been pining over one for past few weeks. Also wanting a silver belly in a top quality hat. Any opinions out there? Thanks.

That looks very much like a Stetson Chatham I had years ago. Not a large hat, but nicely shaped, none the less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran