Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
No liner, best pics I have. Would love date or model opinions pls
8c15db6a38ceeef206b682ea0b0b336b.jpg
76539719e9a88a9980d0e1cb76917f41.jpg
50b72cbb009a81bbcb5814c71c9d3156.jpg
243e88aedf524831922ca68deffa76bd.jpg
ed10ac94868f3cf3c61d3880cb4770f1.jpg
fa4907f93c39f7b36a00e1ad8eeddf62.jpg
9c42ae95dc5d1b26ad7321e907beb524.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
Much appreciated the response and discussion on custom made hats after a question earlier this week. Y'all have peaked my interest in Gannon Hat Company in Portland, OR. However I've tried to reach Michael there via email for past 3 or 4 days but no response. Does anyone know anything about him, the company or anything? I'm interested in placing an order but unable to. Thanks as always!

Gort

New in Town
Question about ribbon bands:

Has anyone tried to replace a "stock" ribbon band with another? I'm thinking I might like one that's more narrow.

Gort

New in Town
Much appreciated the response and discussion on custom made hats after a question earlier this week. Y'all have peaked my interest in Gannon Hat Company in Portland, OR. However I've tried to reach Michael there via email for past 3 or 4 days but no response. Does anyone know anything about him, the company or anything? I'm interested in placing an order but unable to. Thanks as always!

I see he has an Etsy shop as well as a Gmail address - both linked on his website.

He broke his leg in a hiking accident a few weeks back that put him on his back. He may still be in deep recovery and out of touch.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

I was in touch with Michael on Nov. 23 and he said he would be laid up to 5 to 6 weeks recovering from his accident

be patient ... his hat are worth it ... and so is working with an artist like Michael

many here will attest to that

No liner, best pics I have. Would love date or model opinions pls
8c15db6a38ceeef206b682ea0b0b336b.jpg
76539719e9a88a9980d0e1cb76917f41.jpg
50b72cbb009a81bbcb5814c71c9d3156.jpg
243e88aedf524831922ca68deffa76bd.jpg
ed10ac94868f3cf3c61d3880cb4770f1.jpg
fa4907f93c39f7b36a00e1ad8eeddf62.jpg
9c42ae95dc5d1b26ad7321e907beb524.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Mid-50s Stetson Royal Deluxe. It would be nigh impossible to determine the actual model, though. Some things are just lost to the dustbins of history.

Can you read a price in that store sticker? Is the store name legible?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
I was in touch with Michael on Nov. 23 and he said he would be laid up to 5 to 6 weeks recovering from his accident

be patient ... his hat are worth it ... and so is working with an artist like Michael

many here will attest to that
hate to hear anybody with broken bones as I've had my share. thanks for letting me know and I'll try my best to be patient. :( After all it's one of my best qualities... just ask my wife. LOL! :cool:

[Qhav"Gort, post: 2343595, member: 38568"]@Bamaboots - thanx!![/QUOTE]
I have replaced the ribbon work on a few hats. But rather than start from scratch I have asked my hatter to make me a bow & ribbon to my spec and mail to me. I then do the install. Relatively cheap and easy fix and saves the cost of shipping the hat back and forth.

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
hate to hear anybody with broken bones as I've had my share. thanks for letting me know and I'll try my best to be patient. :( After all it's one of my best qualities... just ask my wife. LOL! :cool:
Guess what... just received word from Michael at Gannon Hat Company. He confirmed everything said earlier today about his being in an accident. However he hopes to be back to work in another 5 weeks or so. And of course his list of orders will be backed up another 4 to 5 months.

My plans are right now to hang in with him, as I truly like what I see on the Gannon website.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Just curious what the general consensus is on vintage lids with replaced sweatbands? I know a majority of loungers seek after original vintage lids in the best original condition and I would suspect that having the sweat replaced takes away from the originality and the value as far as collectability. I only own a couple of vintage hats, mostly my rotation consists of some moderns and customs. I have not ventured too deeply in the vintage realm due to mostly the completive nature of the hobby (wear a common size) and also a recent bad experience with a recent purchase which I paid a premium for (desperate to add some vintage hats to my collection), the specific hat had a not so good sweatband (especially after I used Lexol....my bad).

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Funny, I was about to ask the hive mind if it would be sacrilege to rebuild an early Stetson western from a 6 7/8 to a 7.

Personally, I have no qualms about replacing sweats on post-war hats. It decreases the value certainly, but it's not as if the practice was unheard of back in the day. It is very likely that some vintage hats in circulation have been factory refurbished.

But most of us have a hat or two with a replacement band.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Depends on your desires and criteria for owning hats.

I buy them with no thought toward collectability. I buy what I like and wear them, some more than others. I don't buy because I 'need' a particular brand or model I don't have.

It's the same with any hobby that involves older/vintage things. Some people need original down to the last nut and bolt. Me, I don't care so much. It has to work properly, and in the case of hats, look good and feel comfy.

Depends on your desires and criteria for owning hats.

I buy them with no thought toward collectability. I buy what I like and wear them, some more than others. I don't buy because I 'need' a particular brand or model I don't have.

It's the same with any hobby that involves older/vintage things. Some people need original down to the last nut and bolt. Me, I don't care so much. It has to work properly, and in the case of hats, look good and feel comfy.
I agree 100%. If someone is buying hats purely for their collector's value I can understand why they would want to keep them as original as possible. Me, I buy them because I want to wear them, and if I ever bought a vintage hat with a "dodgy" sweatband I would certainly have it replaced so I could wear the hat. Resale value never even enters my mind. I'm sure that would be heresy to some of the members here, but once it becomes my hat I can do whatever I want with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner