Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barry-MI

New in Town
I'm familiar with Brent's work. However, his hats violate my $$$$$$ parameters. It's no trick to find great hats if cost is not a consideration. I'm looking for decent hats, not pieces of art. I also have a poor track record with Panama hats and I either lose or damage them with greater frequency than I do my felt hats. I'm much more comfortable in the $250 or less range.
My Panama Hats Direct hat was less than $200, in your range.

I'm familiar with Brent's work. However, his hats violate my $$$$$$ parameters. It's no trick to find great hats if cost is not a consideration. I'm looking for decent hats, not pieces of art. I also have a poor track record with Panama hats and I either lose or damage them with greater frequency than I do my felt hats. I'm much more comfortable in the $250 or less range.
Yes, I am about the same. To me I rarely wear a Panama in dress up mode. See them more as utilitarian sun blocker with a touch of style. I think $200 has been my top $$ limit as the way I wear them they do tend to get damaged. However it does not stop me from coveting Mr Black's offerings.

I've looked over the PHD site several times. I could end up getting one, but I'm always leery when going with someone new. I'd be fine sticking with Mike at North West but the wait times are a killer and he doesn't have any hat bodies in my size right now (some are on their way).
I bought a PHD hat, a fino optimo. I think my price point was $150 and really liked the hat. Very light weight, very fine weave. Thought of sending it to Mike for a leather sweat and ribbon upgrade but have yet to get around to it. But very happy with the value for $$ with the hat.

I have, and like his stuff, just very expensive. I have been looking at an item in my size on Ebay from halfpricepauley for a Brent Black Hartford York straw hat for around $500 for the past few months, but it doesn't list the thread count and the picture shows a different size than the description. It says original price is $1350, but ???
I have bought much much cheaper hats, caps from Pauley. He is good to deal with, reputable and answers questions.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Especially for straw. I hate to put too much into something that can be damaged so easily. Patience does pay off. I have two Montecristi. One of which is a Brent Black. I paid $250 for each. The weave count is 594 and 624 (Brent Black). I found them both since last summer.

72542ED7-7341-4752-BF7E-57B01E63BF17.jpeg
47AC5645-1A40-42AD-ADE2-56E2E1975A09.jpeg

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Why is it when I try to post a picture taken the normal way it won't post but if I take it in selfie mode it posts just fine?

It could have to do with the size of the picture. Selfie mode on camphones is usually smaller, pixelwise.

This site will allow pictures only up to a certain size.

My camphone is set to take pics at something over 2000 pixels across. I downsize anything I want to post here to 400 across so you can see all or most of it without scrolling.

Especially for straw. I hate to put too much into something that can be damaged so easily. Patience does pay off. I have two Montecristi. One of which is a Brent Black. I paid $250 for each. The weave count is 594 and 624 (Brent Black). I found them both since last summer.

View attachment 106317 View attachment 106318
These are beautiful Bill. I can see spending $250 in a heart beat. A grand, not so much.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
New question: Despite getting more positive comments than any other hat, I'm thinking of "replacing" my navy blue pork pie with something having a bit more brim (the sun is beginning to factor in more in day by day wearing). I'm not looking for vintage or bespoke, but maybe something crushable/wearable. There's a Jaxon listed on Village Hat Shop that seems to cover all the bases. Anyone have any recommendations or warnings?

New question: Despite getting more positive comments than any other hat, I'm thinking of "replacing" my navy blue pork pie with something having a bit more brim (the sun is beginning to factor in more in day by day wearing). I'm not looking for vintage or bespoke, but maybe something crushable/wearable. There's a Jaxon listed on Village Hat Shop that seems to cover all the bases. Anyone have any recommendations or warnings?
Fred, good to see you. I dunno, you get what you pay for I guess. It is hard to find a modern real felt hat for that kind of money. I would spend the $50 on a vintage off of eBay, your size should not be hard to find. I have a woolie Bailey that I almost never wear that is "crushable" if you want it. I think the Jaxon hats show up here from time to time, you might search the lounge to see some prior comments.

I'm with Red. At your size you can get a nice vintage hat so why not? The "crushable" nature of wool hats is really a misnomer. They can take a bit of abuse, but they will and do lose their shap. Better to not crush them no matter what they're made of or how they're marketed.

You can also find new-in-the-box higher grade Stetsons on eBay or at the outlet that really aren't bad at good prices. Vintage are better, but in my size I often go with new due to lack of availability of vintage. If you really aren't interested in vintage hats then I'd look at Premier or Excellent grade Stetsons. I'll leave the Akubra recommendations to others.

I own and wear wool felt hats so I'm not completely against them, but I see them as being best used in a much narrower range of applications compared to fur felt. Just my opinion/preference. As far as which wool felt hats I like; I'm a fan of Orvis, Pendleton, and Filson. Just remember that there are only a few actual manufacturers and lots of brands sticking their labels on the same hats.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Fred, good to see you. I dunno, you get what you pay for I guess. It is hard to find a modern real felt hat for that kind of money. I would spend the $50 on a vintage off of eBay, your size should not be hard to find. I have a woolie Bailey that I almost never wear that is "crushable" if you want it. I think the Jaxon hats show up here from time to time, you might search the lounge to see some prior comments.
Thanks, Mike. I actually looked on eBay, and all I could find were Baileys, Jaxons, and one Stetson cotton waterproof navy fedora.

I'm not looking for a dress hat, but it's my intention to wear a hat every day, so throw-away hats aren't beyond my level of sophistication!

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I'm with Red. At your size you can get a nice vintage hat so why not? The "crushable" nature of wool hats is really a misnomer. They can take a bit of abuse, but they will and do lose their shap. Better to not crush them no matter what they're made of or how they're marketed.

You can also find new-in-the-box higher grade Stetsons on eBay or at the outlet that really aren't bad at good prices. Vintage are better, but in my size I often go with new due to lack of availability of vintage. If you really aren't interested in vintage hats then I'd look at Premier or Excellent grade Stetsons. I'll leave the Akubra recommendations to others.

I own and wear wool felt hats so I'm not completely against them, but I see them as being best used in a much narrower range of applications compared to fur felt. Just my opinion/preference. As far as which wool felt hats I like; I'm a fan of Orvis, Pendleton, and Filson. Just remember that there are only a few actual manufacturers and lots of brands sticking their labels on the same hats.

I must be looking at the wrong section in eBay. I'm not finding vintage hats. Maybe my size is too popular?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner