Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eelephant

Familiar Face
Ok, maybe there is already a thread on this, but since I saw a couple custom and modification posts in this thread, i thought I'd post it here. I am a big fan of the pleated satin type hat band, versus the grosgrain ribbon. Since most hats come with the ribbon, I am constantly looking at hats and saying "man, if that had a pleated satin hatband, it would be coming home with me"... so, my question is, is there anyone out there, hatmakers/modifiers, etc, whatever, who switches those ribbons out?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, maybe there is already a thread on this, but since I saw a couple custom and modification posts in this thread, i thought I'd post it here. I am a big fan of the pleated satin type hat band, versus the grosgrain ribbon. Since most hats come with the ribbon, I am constantly looking at hats and saying "man, if that had a pleated satin hatband, it would be coming home with me"... so, my question is, is there anyone out there, hatmakers/modifiers, etc, whatever, who switches those ribbons out?
Any hatter can switch out a crown ribbon for shark gills. I've used Mike Miller at NW Hat Co, Art Fawcett at VS, and Bob Jesse at Black Sheep Hat Works and they all do great work. If you look at pictures of work by a hatter and like the way they do the pleated bands/shark gills/boxcar, etc, just call them and talk about sending your hat in to have it done.

Most still use grosgrain ribbon for this, though, AFAIK... so if you truly want satin ribbon instead of grosgrain you'll need to discuss this in advance with your chosen hatter, too.

Eelephant

Familiar Face
Thanks, bruv, any clue, just a ballpark, how much something like this might cost?the thing is, I'm a bit of a cheap bugger, and usually am looking at hats under $100. Now, mind you, I don't mind putting a bit extra into a hat, if it's one I really like, but if something like this is going to cost $200, on an $89 hat, ehhhhhh...

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think I paid around $25 - $30??? for a ribbon on my Panama, but I can't remember for sure. Call and check. It may be more for shark gills as it seems to me it would require more work than the usual bow.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Any hatter can switch out a crown ribbon for shark gills. I've used Mike Miller at NW Hat Co, Art Fawcett at VS, and Bob Jesse at Black Sheep Hat Works and they all do great work. If you look at pictures of work by a hatter and like the way they do the pleated bands/shark gills/boxcar, etc, just call them and talk about sending your hat in to have it done.

Most still use grosgrain ribbon for this, though, AFAIK... so if you truly want satin ribbon instead of grosgrain you'll need to discuss this in advance with your chosen hatter, too.

He might be talking about a pug.

He might be talking about a pug.

That's what I was thinking, as well. In which case he can likely pick one up for $10-$15 and put it on himself.

Is this what you mean, @Eelephant?

IMG_9650.JPG

I’m looking at the Sheridan in the current Stetson catalog in the Old West Collection. I’d buy the hat in an instant except it’s buffalo wool and not fur felt. I believe that other hats in the same line currently only offered in buffalo were once made in fur felt. Does anyone know if the Sheridan was also offered in fur felt? Thanks.

0f994f7abaaa42f7be5e7ee18e3908fb.png

becad26176c4126a27d2536a948ab5c2.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I’m looking at the Sheridan in the current Stetson catalog in the Old West Collection. I’d buy the hat in an instant except it’s buffalo wool and not fur felt. I believe that other hats in the same line currently only offered in buffalo were once made in fur felt. Does anyone know if the Sheridan was also offered in fur felt? Thanks.

I have one from their buffalo collection. They seem better than wool. About same quality to what they call 4X Beaver.

Winston Carter

Practically Family

This was an Amish open crown 4X Buffalo with a 3.25 lined brim that I bashed. I bought it because it was perfect for my taste to bash. I like it.

IMG_20180828_140115.jpg
IMG_20180828_140141.jpg

Eelephant

Familiar Face
IMG_0375.JPG
That's what I was thinking, as well. In which case he can likely pick one up for $10-$15 and put it on himself.

Is this what you mean, @Eelephant?

View attachment 138880
Yup, that's it, pictured on one of my hats is the satin variety. So, when a hatband looks like that, it's called a pug? How do I find who sells them? When I do a search, it just comes up with hats with pictures of pugs (dogs) on them. :)

View attachment 139019
Yup, that's it, pictured on one of my hats is the satin variety. So, when a hatband looks like that, it's called a pug? How do I find who sells them? When I do a search, it just comes up with hats with pictures of pugs (dogs) on them. :)

Pug is short for puggaree. Try searching that way.

I have one from their buffalo collection. They seem better than wool. About same quality to what they call 4X Beaver.

The current Stetson 4X is buffalo, but it didn’t used to be. I’ve seen and handled several of the buffalo hats and, while I’m sure they are nice, they aren’t what I’m after. I was hoping that they were once made in fur so I could search the used market for one. I don’t think this hat was/is a big seller.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
The current Stetson 4X is buffalo, but it didn’t used to be. I’ve seen and handled several of the buffalo hats and, while I’m sure they are nice, they aren’t what I’m after. I was hoping that they were once made in fur so I could search the used market for one. I don’t think this hat was/is a big seller.

They aren't a soft fur feel. They are a rougher stiffer feel and have a weird cloth like sweat band.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'd contact some hatters you have in mind and ask them what they think of your idea. Those are my usual requested specs on custom hats. It's hard to tell simply from a picture without anything to go on for reference, but I'd guess that crown is between 5-1/2 to 5-3/4 and the brim closer to 2-1/2... but that's just a guess.

Like @Redfokker , my next custom is going to have a 6" open crown so I can go with a deeper diamond crease, and I've asked for a 2-3/4" brim this time. There's a lot you can do with a tall crown/wide brim fedora.

But I love the pic of that Borsalino you have there. Maybe @jlee562 can chime in with the specs on his Borsalino for you.

Hey all, skipped town for the weekend, just catching back up with this.

My Borso is actually deceptively small. The open crown height was about 5" as best I could tell and the brim is at 5.5cm (so, just a hair short of 2 1/4")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick