Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Try Major Moore at Buckaroo. He may sell to you by the yard at a respectable profit for stuff that is not too rare. Lots of these folks really treasure the vintage stuff. [huh]
Bill Greene said:
Anybody got a lead on a ribbon supplier that will sell in just a few yards at a time? I'm just now starting the process of making a few hats (for fun only) and everyone I've seen wants to sell significant amounts. Thanks.

Bill

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Borsalino Dating

What are the rules for the serial number dating method for Borsalinos? I know there's a few years in which it doesn't apply, but I forgot what they are. And I'm confused on what numbers mean what. Anyone care to help me get my wires uncrossed on this issue, please?

Thanks,

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
redhawks2 said:
Does anyone know when Stetson stopped using the designation No. 1 Quality?

That designation was used, certainly into the late 50's, if not into the early 60's. Posting a photo of the hat in question would help us to date it.

Cheers,
JtL

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Bill Greene said:
Anybody got a lead on a ribbon supplier that will sell in just a few yards at a time? I'm just now starting the process of making a few hats (for fun only) and everyone I've seen wants to sell significant amounts. Thanks.

Bill

I have had some luck finding vintage ribbon on etsy, not sure what is on there now though....

I also couldn't find any rayon/cotton blend anywhere locally.

Just looked and the only colors I see are a baby blue and a green, probably not the colors you would be hunting, but it is worth keeping an eye on.

fluteplayer07 said:
What are the rules for the serial number dating method for Borsalinos? I know there's a few years in which it doesn't apply, but I forgot what they are. And I'm confused on what numbers mean what. Anyone care to help me get my wires uncrossed on this issue, please?

Thanks,

This post and ones around it will give you some idea.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=940962&postcount=918

Search around in the thread for more info.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13733&highlight=number

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
Stetson No. 1 Quality

Thanks carouselvic and JT. I'll post a pic of the band and lining when I get the hat back. Those are great ads for Stetson and I was especially interested in the OR style hat at the bottom that is called the Open Trail. I wonder if they ever stamped that on the band like the OR?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Stetson temple brown...

I'm interested in one of this hats. I'm looking at the bencraft site and the ribbon looks black--which I like and want--but other sites, including an offer I got from a fellow launger show the hat with a dark brown ribbon. Which one is accurate? or can one choose either? many thanks!

KK

New in Town
Thin, "rubbery" fur felt hats?

I remember Dad and Grandpa wearing thin, "rubbery" fur felt hats. Does anyone make these any more?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
redhawks2 said:
Thanks carouselvic and JT. I'll post a pic of the band and lining when I get the hat back.

For your reference, here is a Stetson No. 1 Quality that I believe dates to the timeframe we were talking about -- probably circa late 50's...

6b9a_12.jpg

Liner-18.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Storage solution?

I was at Target today checking out possible storage solutions for my growing collection of hats. I saw a nice stackable 3 drawer unit that is made of plastic. The size of the drawers are perfect for vintage fedoras and seem to close securely, to keep dust out. Now, question is, can these prized possessions be stored in plastic?

Brian

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
saucerfiend said:
I was at Target today checking out possible storage solutions for my growing collection of hats. I saw a nice stackable 3 drawer unit that is made of plastic. The size of the drawers are perfect for vintage fedoras and seem to close securely, to keep dust out. Now, question is, can these prized possessions be stored in plastic?

Brian

That's exactly what I use for my collection. I stacked several together, and can get at least two hats in per drawer, and sometimes more. I use cedar inside each drawer to keep out the critters. Humidity is the only thing I would be concerned about. It's not a problem here, but in NJ it will be.

Brad

saucerfiend

Practically Family
I quess if I keep the air conditioner leveled properly, there shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Brian

rlk

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
For your reference, here is a Stetson No. 1 Quality that I believe dates to the timeframe we were talking about -- probably circa late 50's...

6b9a_12.jpg

Liner-18.jpg

Cheers,
JtL
another
3442654516_970fc95f79.jpg
3441838703_eb99b38fd4.jpg

BreinederIndy

New in Town
Hi guys!

Although it's my first post here, I need to start with a question allready.

I'm wearing an Adventurebuilt right know since I allways was a huge Indiana Jones fan. I still like it but I want to move to a real adventurehat that will fit my needs, such as:

- crushable
- usually worn when hiking/traveling/cycling/at campfires
- water repellent
- comfortable to wear (probably cloth sweat band)
- I wouldn't mind if I don't sweat myself to death in summertimes
- should match in style to my hiking gear:

fedora1.jpg

fedoras2.jpg

AND

it should look something like this:

hut-1.jpg

can you help me out with some hat model suggestions or even identifying this hat?

looking forward to your help, thanks!

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Where is the Milan Straw Thread?

I have a vintage Milan straw fedora by Cavanagh that I have some questions about. I'd like to post some pics and discuss its age, etc. with the experts. Anyone know if there is a 'Show us your Milan straws' thread anywhere on the FL? My searches have produced very little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24