Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fmw

One Too Many
There is a thread called Akubra Overload in which the members discuss Akubra hats in detail. Whether or not that particular model is in there, I don't know. But I do know that the quality of Akubra hats is high and is consistent across the product line. I own three personally and would recommend them to anyone. If the Adventurer is the one you like, I'd recommend you go for it.

DRB

One Too Many
In the book: The Cowboy Hat Book it says that the hat is greased to give a shinier finish to the felt? I believe it is either done during the pouncing or after the pouncing. What exactly IS grease, in this case? Can anyone elaborate on this?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have had a bunch of wool felt fedoras and am thinking of upgrading to fur felt. I am looking at the Akubra Adventurer hat. My question is does anyone have this hat and what are your impressions of it.

It'll be the same quality as any other Imperial-level Akubra, which is great for the price. The Adventurer model, though, has quite a bit of taper, if I recall (unless you're going for the DavidMorgan version). It will feel somewhat coarse compared to other dress hats and such, but it will be unmatched in durability and weather resistance. Also, Akubra sweatbands tend to shrink, allowing the hat to conform to your head shape.

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Hello, my name is Kirk H. and I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer for in looking through other threads, so if it has been answered please forgive me in my lack of searching abilities. I have had a bunch of wool felt fedoras and am thinking of upgrading to fur felt. I am looking at the Akubra Adventurer hat. My question is does anyone have this hat and what are your impressions of it.

Thanks

Kirk H.

Here's a quick and easy way to search this site. :)

fmw

One Too Many
I agree, nicely done. Unfortunately, I refuse to use Google so it doesn't help me.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
It'll be the same quality as any other Imperial-level Akubra, which is great for the price. The Adventurer model, though, has quite a bit of taper, if I recall (unless you're going for the DavidMorgan version). It will feel somewhat coarse compared to other dress hats and such, but it will be unmatched in durability and weather resistance. Also, Akubra sweatbands tend to shrink, allowing the hat to conform to your head shape.

It is the David Morgan that I am looking at. Thanks to you and FMW for your input.

Kirk H.

fmw

One Too Many
I realize that this will result in disaster, but...
why would you not use Google?

The company is an enemy of my company. years ago they slapped a low search rating on us because we were using a database for links that some people used for link farms. Our links were all earned. The database was just an easy way to put them up on the site. That rating cut our business in half overnight and cost us about $700,000 in sales. We wanted to be able to compete for search placement on an even field, not one that was manipulated by people at Google. It took lawyers to correct the problem. Good enough reason not to want to do business with them?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I have some questions / thoughts on Hatless Jack, the book about the death of Hats in America. It's obviously a book so it goes in the reading room, about hats so it goes in the hat section. Personally, I was going to put it in the hat section. O.K.? Not O.K.?

Later Y'all

Felt and Straw

Familiar Face
I recently picked up a nice old Borsalino Castoro, which lead to a search to see if the beaver content was ever determined. I came up empty. Has anyone been able to determine how much beaver went into a 1940s Castoro XX?
Thanks

ejbhats

A-List Customer
Anyone have a good idea or would care to hazard a guess as to who made Packard hats? Not the Stetson model/style, but a true Packard hat?
Any info within the FL that I am not finding?

ejbhats

A-List Customer
I recently picked up a nice old Borsalino Castoro, which lead to a search to see if the beaver content was ever determined. I came up empty. Has anyone been able to determine how much beaver went into a 1940s Castoro XX?
Thanks

Did you check out the "Borsallino Brotherhood" thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR