Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Always keep an eye out at garage and estate sales. Most of my hats are from garage sale. I got a Cavanagh for 50 cents. It's probably my nicest hat.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
An old hat, as Rodkins advises, is a great idea. You get a high quality fur felt fedora for relative peanuts.

The problem can be availability, or rather, lack thereof. You need to find a hat you like, in your size, in decent condition. But, if you'd rather buy a hat that you like, in your size, in new condition, a site such as village hats offers a very good selection, in your size, for bargain prices. You can get your first hat quickly, in your style and size, and then start searching for quality hats, whether vintage used hats, or new, high quality ones. This can take some time, and at least you'll already have a hat on your head.

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
Stretch or fill?

I just bought my first real hat. By that I mean a Stetson, not a Disneyland souvenir. My problem is my head size. A 7 1/2 was too small and the 7 5/8 was too big. Since hats seem to shrink as I get older, or my skull gets thicker, I decided to go with the larger size and a filler band. The store has a stretcher that they will use for $.01. I may bring some others there.

The Hat Store in Berkeley, Ca.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I just bought my first real hat. By that I mean a Stetson, not a Disneyland souvenir. My problem is my head size. A 7 1/2 was too small and the 7 5/8 was too big. Since hats seem to shrink as I get older, or my skull gets thicker, I decided to go with the larger size and a filler band. The store has a stretcher that they will use for $.01. I may bring some others there.

I would prefer to have the hat a little loose rather than too tight.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Greetings, another new hat man here. Could you guys advise me on a first hat as to brand. Have been looking at Scala. Would that be a worthwhile purchase? Keep in mind that I need to start cheap.

Welcome to the Lounge, Old Buzzard ... :yo:

The Hat Store in Berkeley, Ca.

Always go larger & let the hat come to your head.
Only stretch if it is a model you don't think you will ever see in a larger size...

natek83

New in Town
I've been looking for a hat for hiking and camping. I saw this picture and I really like this one but it's just a stock photo and not for sale. I can't find anything even close. The parts I like are the low crown, the mildly radius-ed curves in the pinch front and crown, the really simple band, the rolled edges of the brim, and the overall worn look. Can anyone I.D. this hat or provide some likely keywords to help search for something close or somewhere selling something like it. Thanks.

wet-wool-felt-cowboy-hat-1f6dbc.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I've been looking for a hat for hiking and camping. I saw this picture and I really like this one but it's just a stock photo and not for sale. I can't find anything even close. The parts I like are the low crown, the mildly radius-ed curves in the pinch front and crown, the really simple band, the rolled edges of the brim, and the overall worn look. Can anyone I.D. this hat or provide some likely keywords to help search for something close or somewhere selling something like it. Thanks.

wet-wool-felt-cowboy-hat-1f6dbc.jpg
I think Akubra (Hatsdirect.com) has some low-crowned numbers like that, but you'll have to customize a freshly bought one to mimic that photo. It's fun, though! Welcome, by the way.

bradbraden

New in Town
Question about Miller Sinatra fedora

Hey loungers, I wonder if anyone owns or has seen the SInatra model fedora on Millers website under "best sellers". I am intrigued by this hat, it has the tightest front pinch I've seen in a Pre-creased hat. The crown, brim and ribbon size are all what I am looking for. Any opinions from the knowledgable folks here would be most welcome!

jbucklin

Practically Family
That looks nice. The brim looks wider than 2 1/8" in the photo. I wonder who actually makes that hat. Is Miller a brand or just a dealer?

Jennifer Jones

New in Town
Hello,

I am trying to determine how to determine types of fur and general dating on women's hats. I've done lots of internet searches, but was wondering if there were some sites I may have missed. Could you point me in the right direction?

Also I attached a few pictures of a hat I am currently wanting to identify. It has short soft, but coarse fur, ivory in color. Not nearly as soft as rabbit, not long like fox or mink, no guard hairs, no dense undercoat.

It's a fun hat. Worn on the crown like a halo, thinking 1940s. Would appreciate any input.

Thanks so much!
Jenny

Etsy 3 077 by siriuslyred, on Flickr

Etsy 3 078 by siriuslyred, on Flickr

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Hello:

I have several Borsalino's...some brand new in the box from the 60's. I'm trying to find a store which has the machine to stamp the owner's initials in gold on the inside on the sweatband. The stores in the USA used to do it. I'm in Italy..and even here the Borsalino stores are useless. I called the Borsalino factory in Alessandria..they won't help. Is there a place buy such a machine? I'm ready to buy my own just to be able to do this. My email is kalild@msn.com if somebody can write to me with a suggestion. I don't know how to view replies on here.

Thank you!!

bradbraden

New in Town
Posting a link or better yet a photo would make feedback much more plentiful...

1155.jpg

Thank you for putting the picture up, I don't know why I just didn't do that. Anyway unless someone has more info on this hat I think I'll call the number Miller has listed on their website on Monday and get some more info. Is it ok to post here whatever I find out like who actually manufactures the hat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot