Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Needle holes are easily closed, and this trick should work for you. Saturate a dime- or nickel-sized area of felt around the hole with distilled water. Hit the hole with the tip of a very hot iron. The heat and water (as it turns to steam) will shrink and close the hole so that it's invisible. Quick and painless.

Brad

Vaposuken

New in Town
I am retiring a 1986 "Indiana Jones" Stetson. To replace this hat I am seriously looking at the "Temple". In fact I am certain this is the hat I want if someone can tell me how supple or stiff the hat is. For example, is the Temple as soft as the Federation IV (my real Indy hat), softer, stiff? How well will the Temple respond to steam? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Vapo

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I am retiring a 1986 "Indiana Jones" Stetson. To replace this hat I am seriously looking at the "Temple". In fact I am certain this is the hat I want if someone can tell me how supple or stiff the hat is. For example, is the Temple as soft as the Federation IV (my real Indy hat), softer, stiff? How well will the Temple respond to steam? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Vapo

The texture of the felt is softer than an Akubra, but the felt itself is thicker, which makes it less pliable. Not sure, how well it will respond to steam, modern Stetsons are sometimes powder dyed, which might make steam a tricky proposition.

Vaposuken

New in Town
Excellent info Jared! Thank you. The Temple isn't a must have,m it just fits all my needs (if I can tighten the pinch). Any other quality hat at approx $150 with a center dent and 2 1/2 to 2 5/8 (front and rear) that also has a relatively tight or sharp pinch, or that I can ply into this shape will also do (Mink or Dark Brown). I would even take a fully lined wool felt, but I am fairly certain no shaping would be possible. This is to be my everyday hat, but secondary to my Federation IV.

Thanks,
Vapo

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Needle holes are easily closed, and this trick should work for you. Saturate a dime- or nickel-sized area of felt around the hole with distilled water. Hit the hole with the tip of a very hot iron. The heat and water (as it turns to steam) will shrink and close the hole so that it's invisible. Quick and painless.

Interesting!

MikePotts

Practically Family
I know it's been discussed but I can't find the thread - How do I get rid of those green (verdigris?) stains that sometimes occur near the seam on a sweatband? The Resistol 5X in just acquired (Post New Hats Here thread) has some pretty good ones.

thanks,
MP

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I'd be scared about a burn mark replacing the needle hole, but then I've never tried this method.

Brad

Otateral

Familiar Face
I notice some hats have a smooth but thin texture to them, while others seem more soft and fluffy. Like fleece or a teddy bear. Is this a difference in material or treatment?

rayban

New in Town
Ushanka.com

Hello all,

Has anyone done business with 'Ushanka.com'? Are they reliable in the sense that you get the size you asked for and that the description real sheepskin (mouton) is true?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I notice some hats have a smooth but thin texture to them, while others seem more soft and fluffy. Like fleece or a teddy bear. Is this a difference in material or treatment?

A little bit of both. You have your different finishes and your different felts.

A wool felt is typically a little scratchier and feels lighter in the hand. However, the Stetson Cashmere hats are wool and they're quite soft. Same goes for some fur felts. You can find cheap rabbit fur felts (like at BCF) that feel like wool. You can have Beaver felts with long nap, or short. I've seen some hats from the 70's with a middle-length nap that are quite soft, made from regular fur felt, probably rabbit.

The treatment likely depends on the production date. Hats were made differently in the past than they are now. Big difference, in fact.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Excellent info Jared! Thank you. The Temple isn't a must have,m it just fits all my needs (if I can tighten the pinch). Any other quality hat at approx $150 with a center dent and 2 1/2 to 2 5/8 (front and rear) that also has a relatively tight or sharp pinch, or that I can ply into this shape will also do (Mink or Dark Brown). I would even take a fully lined wool felt, but I am fairly certain no shaping would be possible. This is to be my everyday hat, but secondary to my Federation IV.

Thanks,
Vapo
I like my Temples quite a bit. They were my favorites back in the '90s; I had almost all the colors, and still own two (Nougat, a kind of rust brown, and Silver Mist) that Stetson no longer offers. The Nougat one is particularly comfortable. That said, why not get another Fed IV in a similar color? They're about the same price. Or is it that the brim on the Temple is the right dimensions for your everyday hat?

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Liner With Pin Up Girls

I remember seeing some posts of hats with liners that pin up girl art in them, can anybody point me in the direction of where these might be obtained, please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR