Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
When removing a hat liner with the plastic covering on the logo and washing it in Woolite and cold water does the plastic become spotted with water and dirt residue in-between the liner and the plastic when dry?

It impossible to assure one outcome or another. But yes, that can happen.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Can someone help me decode the numbers on this hatblock?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

I've been thinking I need a hatblock, and a 6 7/8 I would be able to use without taking the sweat out (I'm a size 7). Can't tell from the pictures how much taper there is in the block, but the seller says it measures 22" at the bottom and 20" at the top?

I know #52 is the coveted straight sided block and this appears to be a #37.

More generally, is there a guide for various hat block shapes by number? Or is there simply too much variation?

As an aside, why don't sellers of these hat blocks ever take straight on shots so that we can see the shape of the thing?

Mystic

Practically Family
As an aside, why don't sellers of these hat blocks ever take straight on shots so that we can see the shape of the thing?

it is simple.....they are thinking from their point of view instead of the buyers point of view.......
Basic selling.....put yourself in the buyers place....learn why they would want your product and what they need to know to buy it..................another practice that has mostly gone by the way-side :frown:

Same as offering a hat for sale and NOT providing basic pertinent info that a buyer would need to know to make a buying decision.....such as SIZE, brim width, crown height, ribbon width, measurement around sweatband, color....etc etc etc etc.

Some sellers are just too lazy to make buying their item easy.....they just throw it out there and wait for someone to bite.

Mystic

Practically Family
It impossible to assure one outcome or another. But yes, that can happen.

Thanks, I have 2 hats with liners that really need to be cleaned. I'm just not ready to do the whole naphtha bath thing.....

I took one out and cleaned it carefully all around except for the top area instead of submerging the whole liner in the water to wash it. The top wasn't as bad as the rest. After all, that area has been covered with plastic.

Not as clean as I would like, but is better than before and smells better. :smile:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, I have 2 hats with liners that really need to be cleaned. I'm just not ready to do the whole naphtha bath thing.....

I'm glad that you got good results. By the way, our observations about possible residue under the plastic cover apply to cleaning with naphtha as well.

NivlemRulz

New in Town
I've been having trouble finding a good answer to this question, so here it is:

I have a dark brown pin striped three piece suit and cannot figure out the best color hat to wear with it.

I have a dark brown Fed IV that is almost the same color (obviously it will be a little off).

Do I wear the Fed, go with more of a fawn or lighter brown, or something completely different?

My shoes and belt are a lighter brown by the way.

Thanks!

RBH

Bartender
I have read through, ok, skimmed through, several threads about cleaning hat liners. Didn't see my question addressed.

When removing a hat liner with the plastic covering on the logo and washing it in Woolite and cold water does the plastic become spotted with water and dirt residue in-between the liner and the plastic when dry?

That has never happened to me.
I hope this helps.... but be aware that you could have different results.

MB15

New in Town
Just a stupid head size question

Hello everybody
Sorry for the stupid question, but i need to find it out. I found a pretty nice opera hat at ebay, exactly my size /7 3/8), but the inside measurements seem too small for me, altough the label inside the hat says its a size 7 3/8. Was there a change in sizing measurements over time, so that an 7 3/8 from 1912 isn't an 7 3/8 from 2012? Or did the sizings stay the same over the years?
Greetings
Marco

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sizings haven't changed from what I've seen. The hat may have been produced to the wrong size, the measurements could be inaccurate, or the hat might simply have shrunk.

Same thing happens with suit jackets - says it's a 44R, but the devil is in the measurements. ;)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
As has been told to me recently, the hat 'size' is the least accurate way to determine if a hat will fit you. Your head size, in inches or centimeters, is the final answer as to a properly sized hat. Different manufacturers' 7 3/8 (hat sizes are based on a formula), for instance, can be sized differently. That is why when buying a hat, a more knowledgeable hat maker will ask you for your head size in inches or centimeters, at the very least, not your hat size. Even better is a conformer to get your shape, as well.

So, when buying a hat, the best thing to ask for, if you can, is the measurement around the sweatband.

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
When I read about a homburg that had its pencil roll "ironed", was an iron literally taken to the brim? Would such heat not hurt the felt? Also, while the pencil roll on my homburg is intact, on the sides, the front has been brought down, like a fedora. Could I steam it back to its former glory? It looks fine as it is, like a fedora with an attitude, but I'd like an actual fedora. Thanks in advance, as I always forget to say it after I get answers.

MB15

New in Town
Hello everyone
Thanks for your answers. I think i'll just try it and buy the hat. When do you have the chance to get an mint opera hat with the original box?
There are different 7 3/8 = US & English. If you are a 7 3/8 English then a 7 3/8 US is too small, more like a 7 1/4 English.
I know that problem. I'm german, we got the hat size in centimeters here. And everytime i'm looking for some hats on ebay i have to get my size in american sizes, english sizes, circumferences, etc. It's a big problem that there are no standard infos required for selling on ebay. Sometimes you see such pretty gems and you don't want to bid, just because you're frightened the seller got some measurements wrong.
Greetings
Marco
PS: Thanks for moving my post into the right section of the forum

rlk

I'll Lock Up
As has been told to me recently, the hat 'size' is the least accurate way to determine if a hat will fit you. Your head size, in inches or centimeters, is the final answer as to a properly sized hat. Different manufacturers' 7 3/8 (hat sizes are based on a formula), for instance, can be sized differently. That is why when buying a hat, a more knowledgeable hat maker will ask you for your head size in inches or centimeters, at the very least, not your hat size. Even better is a conformer to get your shape, as well.

So, when buying a hat, the best thing to ask for, if you can, is the measurement around the sweatband.

If only you could believe that their measurement is anywhere near correct(rare). There also may be padding under the band when they measure.

Sizes actually are relatively standardized, oval dimensions are not. Stretching and shrinkage come into play on older hats--but a tagged size at least is a possibility.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
My ideal answer to a question of size on an auction hat is "I wear 7 1/8 and it fits me well" or " I wear 7 1/8 and it fits me just a little loose".
Then I know what size it might really be. I have ended up with stretched (but didn't show it in a complete set of photos in auction) hats so the tag was not useful.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hello, i want to order a Fed IV, but I am not sure about the colors.

Is moonstone like "light grey"? Like this? -> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/75/akubrafedivgrydsmpd9.jpg/

And heritage fawn like light brown, like this? -> http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j445/hildyman/NewImage.jpg

And carbon grey like dark grey, like this? -> http://i38.tinypic.com/245g36e.jpg

Thank you!

Those pictures are pretty accurate, also check: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?37835-I-love-the-Fed-IV!!

Hello, i want to order a Fed IV, but I am not sure about the colors.

Is moonstone like "light grey"? Like this? -> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/75/akubrafedivgrydsmpd9.jpg/

And heritage fawn like light brown, like this? -> http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j445/hildyman/NewImage.jpg

And carbon grey like dark grey, like this? -> http://i38.tinypic.com/245g36e.jpg

Thank you!

That Moonstone photo seems lighter than actual from what my Moonstone Fed4 looks like. JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy