Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

m0nk

One Too Many
The Wanderer & Playboy share about the same size ribbon, about 1". The Wanderer goes back to the early 1930's & the Playboy well into the late 1950's, later but those were not the same specs.
In the mid-late 50's, the Playboy went from thin ribbon to a wide ribbon. Mine has a 2" ribbon, and I've seen others from the same era with the same.

tridentine

Suspended
Optimo Hats email.

Does anyone know if Optimo in Chicago has an email address?

I prefer to do business through email rather than phone.

Thank you.

mark9765

New in Town
I am new to hats and I need some advice. I have recently started wearing brim hats due to skin cancer on my face and neck. I bought a Stetson 4X Carson hat with a 3 3/4" brim. It is a nice hat and fits well but it is definatly not a summer hat. I would like a hat similar style for summer. Any suggestions? I am considering an Akubra Hemp Range hat but the warn against wearing it in the rain.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I am new to hats and I need some advice. I have recently started wearing brim hats due to skin cancer on my face and neck. I bought a Stetson 4X Carson hat with a 3 3/4" brim. It is a nice hat and fits well but it is definatly not a summer hat. I would like a hat similar style for summer. Any suggestions? I am considering an Akubra Hemp Range hat but the warn against wearing it in the rain.

Straw hats are generally not going to hold up in the rain. A modern Shangtung "straw" which is actually a plastic coated paper will probably have better resilience. Sunbody hats (that's a brand name) should do well in rain, you're actually supposed to get the hat wet every once in a while to keep it from cracking. But I have no experience with them personally, although many good reviews here.

Another option is a lightweight and/or vented felt hat - but you'd be limited to custom and vintage options basically.

Chef Raoul

New in Town
Hello Everyone. Fairly new to this forum, but I have always loved fedoras. I just got my first one (before researching) based on looks and what I could find in Houston. I got a black Stetson Pinnacle. I don't leave the house now without my hat. I'm hooked. So now I'm doing research and ran into this forum and see so many people who think that a new Pinnacle is very over priced. I don't mind spending money, but do want value.

I have been reading thread for days, but seem to just get more confused. I think I need a more solid foundation of information. Where do you suggest I begin? I'm really wanting that second hat, but I'll hold on to learn more before I step out there.

Thanks
Raoul

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know if Optimo in Chicago has an email address?

I prefer to do business through email rather than phone.

Thank you.

It's info@optimohats.com, but if you're going to order, they're going to want you to call (I tell you this from personal experience).

Yes and from my experience (which was not very good) don't deal with anyone there who isn't called Graham or Tiffani.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hello Everyone. Fairly new to this forum, but I have always loved fedoras. I just got my first one (before researching) based on looks and what I could find in Houston. I got a black Stetson Pinnacle. I don't leave the house now without my hat. I'm hooked. So now I'm doing research and ran into this forum and see so many people who think that a new Pinnacle is very over priced. I don't mind spending money, but do want value.

I have been reading thread for days, but seem to just get more confused. I think I need a more solid foundation of information. Where do you suggest I begin? I'm really wanting that second hat, but I'll hold on to learn more before I step out there.

Thanks
Raoul

Hey Chef, welcome to the lounge!

I'd agree that the Pinnacle is overpriced. It seems to sell for over $300 which puts it right in the price range of some of the custom hat makers. You could also find a nice vintage hat (some sizes easier than others, to be fair) on eBay or somewhere.

If you really want to spend over $300 on your next hat, talk to Art Fawcett, Major Moore or TonyB here at the forum. They could all make you a super hat.

You'll also find a ton of great info here at the Lounge - just browsing around can be great fun and you'll learn a lot.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Thinking of getting another grey hat to go with my Caribou-colored Stetson. F ound an Akubra Federation on the 'bay and wondering if this is the more desireable Fed IV or if there are any concerns:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281049333661?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I could get Major Mike to do something such as trim the brim or reblock the crease and adjust the height of the crown I am guessing. I have read, I think, that maybe the Fed is one where the sizing may be off. I am a true 57, 7 1/8 long oval.

Also, is this darker than the Caribou color?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
It's not a Fed IV, at least it isn't like one now. Fed IVs don't come with brim binding. On his listing he says, "This hat is an earlier model and was a limited addition [sic] and came out 2 or 3 years before the Federation IV and sold via RM Williams stores across Australia. It is the same hat as the Federation IV Deluxe, except it has the silk gimping or binding on the edge of the brim. I have 2 Federation IV Deluxe's and this hat is the same in relation to brand, felt weight, crown height and brim width."

As for the color, it looks like the dark Carbon Grey color of my Fed IV.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Paul, thanks. Im probably good to go as far as the brim and if it had to be trimmed, well, I guess Major Mike could redo the edge. Size 57 good for me you think, me being a measured 7 1/8 long oval? I guess if it is not bid up it is a great price even if Mike has to redo the binding and bash it for me (probably would want a crown of 4.5 inches and have it more of a Bogart look to it like my Stetson Saxon)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Paul, thanks. Im probably good to go as far as the brim and if it had to be trimmed, well, I guess Major Mike could redo the edge. Size 57 good for me you think, me being a measured 7 1/8 long oval? I guess if it is not bid up it is a great price even if Mike has to redo the binding and bash it for me (probably would want a crown of 4.5 inches and have it more of a Bogart look to it like my Stetson Saxon)
When I bought my two Feds from HatsDirect, the staff advised me via email that the Feds ran a little large, and though I'm a 7 (56cm), advised me to get a 57. The hats were a little loose at first, better after I bashed them and put the sizing tape in behind the sweatband. Both have snugged up to be fine. So my guess -- and it's just a guess -- that if 57 was a little loose on me, as are most 7 1/8 hats, then 57 would be your right size.

Again, it's just a guess. You can always pad the sweatband; and if you really like the hat, Major Mike or one of the other hatters who frequent the Lounge could probably resize it.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
why would you alter a hat as lovely as that? sounds like needless work to me. just get a raw edged hat or one with a shorter brim if you want a raw edge or shorter brim.

Landman

One Too Many
why would you alter a hat as lovely as that? sounds like needless work to me. just get a raw edged hat or one with a shorter brim if you want a raw edge or shorter brim.

I agree. That is a very unique and cool hat like it is. If you want something different just buy a new Akubra and bash it the way you want. Brand new, shipped from Australia to you they are only around $150.00. That is hard to beat for a new open crown hat.

Last edited:

Sigrah

New in Town
Hi! I am new to the lounge and am loving it. I only have a Tilley that I have been wearing for years, and bought a Mayser a few years ago, but don't get too much wear out of it because my wife thinks it is too dressy unless we are really dressing up to go out.

So I have two questions:

1) Is there a happy medium between the Tilley and Mayser that I could wear everyday?

2) I have started checking out local antiques shops in the area and have happened across quite a few vintage hats. They are all too small for me, I am a 7&3/8, but would be happy to purchase any of them and ship them out. What is the best forum for that conversation?

Thanks,

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran