Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Dry your hair well after shower or rainstorm and you should be fine--needs to be wet to release--warmth no problem.

Exactly my problem. My head sweats profusely, shrinking the leather and leaching the dye out of the leather and staining the liners and even the felt on lighter hats. Doesn't matter if it's vintage or modern, I'm just hard on sweatbands.

Thanks Alan, I appreciate it. I'm looking forward trying them out.

Brad

My pleasure... the samples are in the mail.

I've also used this tape on occasion to secure liners where the stitching is gone and the ribbon is best not disturbed.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I believe only the USA used USA sizes(unless showing a full range), Canada seems to be mixed depending upon date. The few South African Hats I've seen(Pith and fabric) had Metric and/or British. Nowadays everybody else is Metric so only hats for export to US would have our sizes.

fischfam

New in Town
Help identifying my new fedora

I recently won this beautiful hat on ebay and was wondering if someone can answer some questions. First it was listed as a western style fedora. What exactly classifies a fedora as western style? Second it was listed as a 1970's vintage XXX beaver fur western style fedora. i cant find anything online to further identify it as far as style or model. Can anyone helpo me out here? OH BTW, I love it.

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
I recently won this beautiful hat on ebay and was wondering if someone can answer some questions. First it was listed as a western style fedora. What exactly classifies a fedora as western style? Second it was listed as a 1970's vintage XXX beaver fur western style fedora. i cant find anything online to further identify it as far as style or model. Can anyone helpo me out here? OH BTW, I love it.

th_hat2.jpg

th_hat1.jpg

th_hat5.jpg

th_hat3.jpg

First, you need to post some larger photos for us to be able to discern anything.
Second, a western fedora is mostly an outback style, see Stetson Dune model. Basically, not a dress/city fedora = more of a country hat.
Third, liner photo looks like Stetson "Last Drop" liner which was used in their Western hat models.
Fourth, as long as you love it, it is a nice lid.
Fifth, welcome to the Lounge...

fischfam

New in Town
Yes it does feel like a country hat. Sort of something like I might wear fly fishing on a stream with my 'Minnow Muddler' fly on the ribbon. Or just out and about in the country when not too dressed up. The liner is a satin 'Last Drop logo and yes if is a very fine hat and so far I love it. Lets try these images for size, not sure why the others are not bigger.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
This hat is styled by the Ebay seller, who has been converting vintage westerns to a fedora profile, often cutting the brim and adding a custom ribbon treatment. Some of the hats he has sold recently have been fashioned from older hats... this one appears newer than 1970s. I can't tell from the auction photos whether the sweatband is original or if it is/was actually marked as a Stetson 3X Beaver.

Welcome... hang your hat here and enjoy the learning curve. You've come to a good place.

konopekk

New in Town
I bought my first vintage hat few days ago and i have a question about the crown.
Is the crown correctly made and is the height of the crown good on the back?
I did this after looking at some pictures on the internet.
23wo108.jpg

2a9a1xy.jpg

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'm assuming you're referring to the shaping of the crown?

Looks like you've put in a teardrop or C-Crown. There's not a 'right' or 'wrong' way to crease a hat per se (especially looking at some of the 'Chicago hook' styles).

But it looks nice and even to me.

konopekk

New in Town
Thanks for your respond.
What about this round part of the crown, should it touch my head?

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
Ok, I need some help locating an old thread. Perhaps I'm not searching the right combination of words. I think it used to be a sticky. But, I don't see it anymore.

It's the thread that lists known hat companies by name and a short summery of the company.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for your respond.
What about this round part of the crown, should it touch my head?
Nice-looking Borsalino, konopekk. I don't like it when a hat touches my head. Seems to me there should be some clearance between the hat and liner, and the skull. Again, though, if it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it.

mark9765

New in Town
I just got my first Montecristi Panama hat. I went cheap for my first hat so I can se what I would like later on. I bought this for every day summer use. Will the liner make the hat hotter in the sun? What about a stiffener to help it keep its shape?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo