Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dronak

Familiar Face
I have one of those Stetson Retro hats and it is a grade three Panama. It was woven in Ecuador and blocked and assembled in Mexico.

Ah, that explains the two "made in" labels then, thanks. Do you or others know much about Panama hat grades? From what I saw on a quick web search, they seem to be rather variable. Since this hat wasn't particularly expensive and the weave looks kind of coarse, I'm assuming "grade 3" is a lower quality. I have no problem with that; I was just looking for a nice hat, not one of the best. But I would like to get a better handle on the quality grading aspect. Thanks.

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
Is it possible to custom order an Akubra from the factory? I know we had the special FL edition campdraft, but that was a bulk custom order. Will they do single hat custom orders? Or would I need to purchase the closest stock model to my desire and then have one of our fine hatters modify it further? Thanks!

TPD166

One Too Many
I just received this Stetson Standard Quality today and this may be the oldest hat I own - I have looked at the other threads on dating Stetsons and I am guessing 1930s? I was hoping someone with background in earlier Stetsons could give me a more definitive timeframe. It has an approx. 5”+ crown, 2-5/8” ribbon bound brim, unlined, and an un-reeded leather sweat. Originally purchased at Haygood’s Dry Goods in Floydada, Texas.
Thanks!

TPD166

One Too Many
I should have included that originally, but was trying not to lose more sweatband threads! Sorry for the poor quality - only have a camera phone with me:

TPD166

One Too Many
Thanks - I never thought I would win it and I am thrilled with the hat!

I have never had any work done a hat older than the 1950s - can this hat be refurbished/cleaned without losing the tags? And can this sweatband be reattached (the leather is in good condition)? If so, any recommendations on where to send it?

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Refurbished, definately. Cleaned, sure. The only reason I would see the tags being removed is if they fell off during a cleaning, but if that happend, put them away in a safe place. The sweatband may be able to be restitched into the hat if it has a lot of life left, and is not pulling completely out of the hat. If that is the case, a replacement would be the best route, which is not a bad that, if you plan on wearing the hat, and not collecting it. Optimo seems to do some great work (haven't tried them my self). I am sure there are other lounges who could give better advise.

Or if you wish to give it a whirl, you can try refurbishing the hat yourself. There are some threads on that, such as this thread.

TPD166

One Too Many
Thanks for the information. I have had several hats re-worked by Paris Hatters and Texas Hatters with great success - but I was not trying preserve the original sweats, tags, etc. in those hats. I do plan to wear it some - it is a great fit & really like the look of it.

Thanks again!

TM

A-List Customer
I picked up a couple of English Tweed Jackets, one sporting, one serious. Green/brown color. I'd like to get some trousers made that would be sympathetic to the coloration and weave. Any suggestions for a tailor, Hong Kong or otherwise? Not bespoke, as I would be unlikely to travel to visit them. I'd have to send measurements.
Thanks!
Tony

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just received this Stetson Standard Quality today and this may be the oldest hat I own - I have looked at the other threads on dating Stetsons and I am guessing 1930s? I was hoping someone with background in earlier Stetsons could give me a more definitive timeframe. It has an approx. 5”+ crown, 2-5/8” ribbon bound brim, unlined, and an un-reeded leather sweat. Originally purchased at Haygood’s Dry Goods in Floydada, Texas.
Thanks!

I'm glad you like it! Yes, late 1930s. I tried to get the staining off the brim there, but it's all deep in the felt, not just on the surface. A deep chemical cleaning may do the trick. If this hat had only just been a bit smaller, I would have kept it. These "Standard Quality" '30s Westerns are impossible to find. It's remarkable the difference between the felt used on vintage cowboy hats and modern ones, isn't it?

Last edited:

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Greetings, Gents. I'm looking for a rigid brim (not crushable) hat that looks somewhat like the Banjo Paterson, but not as pricey. I've surfed a couple of threads here and I've Googled a bunch of different hat styles but I haven't found any. Any suggestions?

job

One Too Many
Welcome Doc,

I don't know of any hat shaped like the Banjo Patterson that will be as tough as rabbit felt. There are wool hats kind of like it but I wouldn't buy it because wool just won't hold up to getting real wet.

ishootcanon

New in Town
Identifying some hats

Hey guys i was hoping you all could help me find some similar style hats to the pictures below.
I really like these, some links to places that would have something like these would be great. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany