Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
try ebay if you want a vintage look hat just search vintage fedora, maybe like a stetson brand would be best thats if your in the USA of course. I'm no expert in hats but there is such a wide choice it really depends how much you want to spend as well because there are some custom hat makers on here that could most likely make you a similar model to what you've seen

foliam

New in Town
I'm having a bespoke suit made in light grey Prince of Wales check. I always wear a hat (brown, black, panama or tweet cap) outside because of my fair skin and ... erm thinning hair. It does get cold and wet at times of the year. My hats and cap match my suits and outer wear but won't match the new suit. Is a grey fedora the best hat to go with a grey suit?

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm having a bespoke suit made in light grey Prince of Wales check. I always wear a hat (brown, black, panama or tweet cap) outside because of my fair skin and ... erm thinning hair. It does get cold and wet at times of the year. My hats and cap match my suits and outer wear but won't match the new suit. Is a grey fedora the best hat to go with a grey suit?

No need to match hat to suit - but a grey hat is very versatile.

I think "putty" is about the lightest colored crusher I've seen.
I have seen some white wool fedoras that look like the one Michael Jackson wore but not crushers.
All those were earth tones or bright colors....best of luck...

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Indeed, my "starter hat" was a 'crushable' lite felt wool stingy. It served its purpose, but started to look a less presentable as time went on.

If money is no object, Optimo can make you a rollable white fur felt in their Optimo 1000 felt. For a wool felt option that's crushable, I don't know of any off hand, because so few wool fedoras have 2.5" brims. White is also a tall order as well.

Here's the Borso that Mr. Dean alluded to above, not in white, and a 2 3/8" brim however: http://www.delmonicohatter.com/Fedora-Hats/IT55.htm

...I've been scrounging around a few websites (fedorastore, Delmonico, Berkeley Hat co.) and have come to the conclusion that you may have to be more flexible with your preferances, as I'm not sure that the exact hat you want exists. Good luck on your search though!

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Does anyone recognise this brand ? I struggle to read the label because of the green (I presume oxidised paint)
I was thinking French or Spanish ?

8968310008_d3f003384e_c.jpg

8968308574_0684141aee_c.jpg

Physicist

New in Town
I ordered this:
http://shop.nethats.com/product.sc?productId=90&categoryId=9

It's not exactly what I want. But it's close enough. And cheap.

I'm going to Pamplona to run with the bulls in July. I don't think I'll wear the hat while running. But I will wear it walking around.

I'll be decked out in the usual San Fermin attire, as I was last year:

http://lstwo.com/images/42560221986192448980.jpg

I've got one of those clip on hat bands, in red, to complete the outfit.

I didn't want to spend more than $50 for a hat to wear there. Because if I drop it, it may be ruined. Last year I was wearing white Levis 501 jeans. And the grime from the streets that I got on my lower pants legs basically ruined them. Multiple washings with bleach and you can still see the grime.

Does anyone recognise this brand ? I struggle to read the label because of the green (I presume oxidised paint)
I was thinking French or Spanish ?

Appears Belgian - Les Galeries Nationales, Bruxelles?

Interesting to see the oxidation. I remember discussing the foil stamping used with Joshbru... whether gold or silver was used at one time. This seems to show bronze alloy, which is the material used for golden colors in foil stamping today.

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
My JC Penney hat again

(My initial post was moved to Introductions which is where it probably belonged. But, I'm not sure if that's the correct place to ask more questions.)

168x168

168x168

I forget exactly whether the fabric hats with seams at the crown crease were 1970s or 80s, or maybe into the 1990s, but they represent a true low in hat wearing. Demand is so low at that point that the manufacturers use machine-stitched crowns out of fabric rather than any sort of felt (not even wool!), since the single felt hood required so much more labor. So, we generally disdain them.

During vintage times wool was always a cheaper substitute (consistently about half the price of a fur felt) and that is still true today; the fabric hats with machine stitched crowns were a significant step below a wool felt, so the only thing lower than a machine stitched fabric crown would be a baseball cap.

All that said, might be a useful toy to experiment with regarding restoration of the leather sweatband (if it is leather) and trying to shape the brim and crown.

My hat addiction, in general, is usually disdained by most people I know. This one fits me like a glove and is "previously loved" and ratty enough that I will wear it proudly. I've exhausted my google abilities (half of the results on the internet come back to this forum). My best guess, from what I could glean, is it's from the '70's.

But, what would you call that style? "Colorado Cowboy?" "German Hiker?" "Urban Sombrero?"

As suggested, I will crease the sides and, I think, crush the tip-top of the front down and forward a bit (like some old Calvary hats I've seen?)

((I've got one Borsalino fedora, one custom bowler, a local-made custom Amish hat (which, I think he didn't want to make for me or want me to wear it, but he didn't mind taking my money). I have several hand-made (Alaskan native) fur hats I could post pictures of if no one here is PETA objectionable.))

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
Moved to the right place, my post is.

My pate, while still a bit fuzzy, is still biker-rebel, like.

I've noticed that fine hats and facial hair go hand-in-hand.

I'm in.

So...

I'll wear that ratty hat and bend it up completely wrong.

(But, damn, I'll look good.)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
But, what would you call that style? "Colorado Cowboy?"
Brings back memories. I do remember seeing guys wear those hats here in Colorado during the '70s. Denver, Vail, and Aspen in particular. Usually they had those big feathered hat bands on them. The guys also usually wore denim jackets, bell-bottom jeans, and boots.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot