Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?22306-The-Conversion-Corral

Anyone ever trimmed the brim on an akubra cattleman? This might be something I would like to attempt if it ain't too challenging and it looks decent. If anyone has pics I would sure be glad to see em if it's not too much trouble. Also how would one go about this endeavour and what tools would one need. I'm sure the process has been covered so a link would be nice. Thanks and God bless

GamaH

A-List Customer
not generally.

Well let me rephrase. To not look completely symmetrical (from the front)?

Meaning, it looks more like this
A150_1_20121217_95813473.jpg

than this
F-SnapBrimPanamaBorder1[1].jpg

As you can see, the first picture has an asymmetrical snap.

Is that normal? Because most, if not all of my straw hats snap like the first picture.

Last edited:

bartcubb

New in Town
I recently looked into the crown of my Panama hat and noticed a bunch of straw ends poking inwards. They don't appear to be broken ends but rather rings of new straws entering the weave. Is this normal? Does it indicate damage or poor construction? I've tried looking at photos of hat interiors on this website, but the hats all seemed pretty smooth inside.

I recently wet the top of the hat to try and shape it a little, but I don't remember if the straw ends stuck out before that or not. Could moisture have made straw ends stick out? Will getting the hat reblocked (which I intended anyway) push everything flat inside and take care of this "problem"?

DougC

Practically Family
GamaH-I don't think that is from the flange of the brim; it might be asymmetrical from wear. Do you put on and take off your hat with your right hand? Either way, that looks like normal wear.

GamaH

A-List Customer
GamaH-I don't think that is from the flange of the brim; it might be asymmetrical from wear. Do you put on and take off your hat with your right hand? Either way, that looks like normal wear.

Yeah I'm right handed.

dnjan

One Too Many
Well let me rephrase. To not look completely symmetrical (from the front)?

As you can see, the first picture has an asymmetrical snap.

Is that normal? Because most, if not all of my straw hats snap like the first picture.
Mine all look like that because my head is not symmetrical (kind of a diagonal oval). If I twist the hat so that the "front" is lined up with my nose, the brim goes non-symmetrical.

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
I guess I'll jump in with a few questions... ;)

1. This thread is about hats, right, or is it just any questions?

2. I appreciated the guide for hats+suits, but it seemed to imply Fedora wear rather than Flat-caps... was there a "guide" to color-coordinating flat caps with your suit?
My suit is Blue-Grey, but I don't know if the hat should match or coordinate...

3. What is the style of the old "explorer" hat worn by the Australian (as well as many other) Army called?
e.g.
206832_large.jpg
3109150763_076b9aec26_z.jpg

viclip

Practically Family
If I can tag on a supplementary question, with apologies to Roving_Bohemian, why do these military hats have the left-side brim up-turned?

viclip

Practically Family
If I can tag on a supplementary question, with apologies to Roving_Bohemian, why do these military hats have the left-side brim up-turned?

Looks like I found the answer to my own question from this link maintained by the Australian Army dealing with their official military slouch hat:

http://www.army.gov.au/Our-history/Traditions/The-Slouch-Hat

The left side brim was apparently turned up to facilitate rifle drill movements, although some forces turned up the right side depending upon their particular drill routines. These days the brim is worn down turned except for ceremonial purposes.

job

One Too Many
Welcome to the lounge Dan.

The sweatband and it's fit will determine how comfortable the hat will be.
Beaver felt is great. If you can afford it then go with 100% beaver felt.
There are some GREAT hatters that are members here and could make you a wonderful hat.

Dan the Man

New in Town
Thanks for the reply job. I am wanting a western hat and I would be wearing it riding horses and hiking in the woods. Would the 100% beaver be comfortable for that?

job

One Too Many
This time of year I wear straw hats and linen caps.
A western weight 100% beaver hat will set you back some.
I would like some more people to chime in on this but I might be inclined to go with rabbit because it would be a shame to have all that stiffener in a beaver hat.
It would make on awesome western hat though. If you have it made please share a photo with us.

Last edited:

Warbaby

One Too Many
After a long hiatus, I'm back with a hat question. I haven't been around much for the past year or so because we've been building a house and the project devoured all of my energy and attention. The house is finally finished, we've moved in, and I can hang out in the lounge once again (house photos will soon be up the 'Show Us Your Vintage Home' thread). When I first joined the lounge back in 2007, it was a hat question that brought me here - seems appropriate that I make my re-entry with another hat question.

I found this classic Stratton western hat at a garage sale and had to buy it because it's in pristine condition and it fits like it was made for me (also thought the Texas DPS stamp was pretty cool). Problem is, it's a cow hat and and I just can't wear a cow hat without looking embarrassingly all hat and no cattle. I'm thinking about converting it into something more citified - are there any tricks to working with the somewhat stiffer felt of a cow hat? Or should I just forget the whole thing and try to swap it with someone for a hat I can wear?

StrattonCowHat1.jpg

StrattonCowHat2.jpg

StrattonCowHat3.jpg

StrattonCowHat5.jpg

StrattonCowHat4.jpg

Attachments

• StrattonCowHat3.jpg
    StrattonCowHat3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,219

Warbaby

One Too Many
Stratton uniform hat will be tough to change even by a pro. Uniform hats are made to stand up per specs.

Thanks for the advice - I don't want to mess up a nice hat with a bad re-bash fail. I think I'll take job's advice and wear it around awhile. If it still doesn't work for me, I'll stick it in the classifieds for a trade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24